Today's OCI debacle - dented XG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inspect parts before I start a job, a lesson I learned decades ago. Having said that I would have used the filter you posted pics of.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This is why I won't use Fram anymore,the paper thin cans. That's exactly where I squished the last TG I used,by merely gripping it with my hand while I was tightening it. My Nissan,Honda,and Motorcraft OEM's don't even squish when I remove them with channel locks.

Fram,if you're reading these posts,please strengthen up the can. Other than the flimsy cans,I think their filters are great!

I stopped using the Subaru "blue can" oil filters because I could feel them flexing when I hand tightened them...I thought they were some kind of composite material and was shocked when I scratched a used one with a pick awl and saw shiny metal.
I ended up buying a stash of Tokyo Roki WRX (basically the same engine as my FXT) filters for a low unit price on Amazon and they feel rock solid by comparison. I just didn't like the feel of the blue ones, never had an actual problem with one.

Quote:
it's a small maybe hair width scratch, but it faces foreward, and we're heading into salt season. i'd hate to develop a rust hole, and spray oil everywhere but INSIDE my engine...

Smart move!

For oil filter I check down the center tube too with a flashlight to make sure nothing is amiss.

What a waste of a good oil filter. I wouldn't have had an issue using it, but hey, it is your money. Cut it open and post a photo from the inside.

Originally Posted By: FlyingVan
What a waste of a good oil filter. I wouldn't have had an issue using it, but hey, it is your money. Cut it open and post a photo from the inside.

A "good" filter is one that is not damaged. As thin as the can is and the pulsing from the oil flow, who knows if it would have developed a crack over the next year. I wasn't going to find out.

Keep extras and yes always open the box and look them over. A few weeks back Wally World had a sale on filters. I was getting the on sale Ultra I opened the box and some had swapped it with a Tough guard. I didn't get that one it stayed in the store.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would have used my bicycle to get to the store to exchange the filter.

That would have been a great option if it weren't for the 8 miles of interstate I have to take to get to town.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I would'a used it.

Me too.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I would'a used it.

I would have used it, too.

Me 3
that location doesn't bother me. if it was up on/near the shoulder or the dome, maybe.

You all are saying you would have used a dented filter for over 10K and 1 year? If I can get the dent to flex by pushing on it, no thanks. I might have considered it if I was running a 5k OCI.

I'm not saying that at all! I would run it the normal length I run all of my oil filters, 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Quote:
it's a small maybe hair width scratch, but it faces foreward, and we're heading into salt season. i'd hate to develop a rust hole, and spray oil everywhere but INSIDE my engine...

Smart move!

For oil filter I check down the center tube too with a flashlight to make sure nothing is amiss.

Why not just cut it open right there in the store and make sure the pleating is properly spaced before you buy it.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: FlyingVan

A "good" filter is one that is not damaged. As thin as the can is and the pulsing from the oil flow, who knows if it would have developed a crack over the next year. I wasn't going to find out.

I wonder how many people are riding around with dented oil filters from having them dropped by a tech at an OIL LUBE SHOP? And, their engines are still running with no problems at all. Imagine that! It just baffles the mind to think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back