barely used filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a few different filters for my application as I was seeing if the adbv would make a difference in cold start lifter rattle. anyway it didn't matter if it was an FU mobil or wix. my question is the two remaining filters were pulled off and I put back in the box with saran wrap over the base. they both have obviously some oil in them can these be stored for months or should I just get rid of them?

Nothing wrong with the filters themselves but I personally would not reinstall anything once the seal has been compressed.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Nothing wrong with the filters themselves but I personally would not reinstall anything once the seal has been compressed.

That doesn't matter one bit. I drain and run Ultras for my low mileage second oil change for years. It is not the space shuttle o-rings. Oil filter o-rings are so so robust you did absolutely nothing to the o-ring having snugged up for 3 months. If it was on a tractor outside for 6 years in the sun and never run and the hunk-o massive o-ring we have on our filters was crushed up for 6 years then maybe I wouldn't use it. But that's just me. If they were Ultras and I was close I would buy them with out a single worry.

+1 - filters are not expensive.

Originally Posted by Mainia

That doesn't matter one bit. I drain and run Ultras for my low mileage second oil change for years. It is not the space shuttle o-rings. Oil filter o-rings are so so robust you did absolutely nothing to the o-ring having snugged up for 3 months.

THIS ^^

Use those filters again without worry. I have reused many filters in the past and never had one leak at the gasket.

Why would anyone remove the filter to drain the oil from it then re-install? That has to be one of the highest forms of OCD I've seen. There is such a small amount of oil in the filter (even something like a PH8A) that it will make very little difference, and you are actually risking damage to the seal removing it, allowing dirt to get in, etc.

Personally, filters are cheap. If I'm removing it, I'm replacing it with a new one.

FYI oil drains from the oil passage ways when the engine is not running.

Originally Posted by earthbound
I bought a few different filters for my application as I was seeing if the adbv would make a difference in cold start lifter rattle. anyway it didn't matter if it was an FU mobil or wix. my question is the two remaining filters were pulled off and I put back in the box with saran wrap over the base. they both have obviously some oil in them can these be stored for months or should I just get rid of them?

honda or dodge?

Is honda going to HLA?

I've never heard of lifter "rattle"

If they are jam nut finger followers, then they will be noisy when cold.

If this is the Dodge I've read they have roller lifter failures , but I don't know what years or variation.

Reuse the filter NP. I might be inclined to pour a couple oz of fresh oil in there ( pry open the ADBV) to give her a rinse before a reinstall

Originally Posted by CT8
FYI oil drains from the oil passage ways when the engine is not running.

I would imagine capillary action and the fact that the rod/main bearing clearances are around 0.0015 diametrical
I would not expect much to leave there without a "push"

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Why would anyone remove the filter to drain the oil from it then re-install? That has to be one of the highest forms of OCD I've seen. There is such a small amount of oil in the filter (even something like a PH8A) that it will make very little difference, and you are actually risking damage to the seal removing it, allowing dirt to get in, etc.

Personally, filters are cheap. If I'm removing it, I'm replacing it with a new one.

For years I removed the used filter - turned it upside down and drained it - then reinstalled it.
Nowadays the filters are smaller and I just leave them on for the 2nd OCI. My last drained one didn't hold more than ten ounces of oil (oil channel above included). So why not just leave it on, for an engine that holds five quarts.

No more will I take them off again.

Yep.

I do multiple oil drain / refill with a Fram Ultra. Once it is removed it goes in the trash.

If the gasket was not tightened past it's yield point it could possibly be reused. How are you going o know that? Once the material yields the seal is weak no matter how much more tightening. Garden hose washers are an easy way to imagine this, they start to leak and eventually no amount of tightening stops the leaking. The structure of the gasket breaks down.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
... Garden hose washers are an easy way to imagine this, they start to leak and eventually no amount of tightening stops the leaking. The structure of the gasket breaks down.
The structure of an oil filter gasket isn't going to break down, unless it's grossly overtightened, in which case it would leak immediately, not upon later re-use.

guys I'm talking maybe 7-10 days of use at most. I highly doubt the seal/gasket will be an issue. I was more concerned of the oil sitting in there for 6 mos or so. and arco you are correct I meant to say "lifter tick"(ram) not rattle...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia

That doesn't matter one bit. I drain and run Ultras for my low mileage second oil change for years. It is not the space shuttle o-rings. Oil filter o-rings are so so robust you did absolutely nothing to the o-ring having snugged up for 3 months. If it was on a tractor outside for 6 years in the sun and never run and the hunk-o massive o-ring we have on our filters was crushed up for 6 years then maybe I wouldn't use it. But that's just me. If they were Ultras and I was close I would buy them with out a single worry.

Sometimes it works as you have stated. For the five dollars for the filter, I won't chance it.
Having your tractor out in the sun means nothing and is irrelevent. That seal is not much different than a gasket and who reuses gaskets? Not me.

Last edited:
I pulled a valve cover off an 81 mazda b2000 just to find out they sent me the wrong one. I tore the rubber gasket but had a spare engine. It had a cork gasket and got it off in one piece. I put it on and two years later still no leaks. Didn't use any silicon either. Not something would normally do though.

In my experience with a 2010 Hyundai Accent and the evil 1.6L engine...

Mobil 1 = rattling and ticking
Wix Gold = start up rattle but it quiets as it warms
Fram Ultra = silent
OEM Hyundai = silent

The price of the OEM vs FU, and I run the FU 2x 10K. Engine is out of warranty, and it still burns just as much oil as it did when Hyundai stiffed my parents out of their warranty replacement. Doesn't matter if you report the engine blowing clouds of oil smoke on start up 10K before the warranty is up they just stall until you are 1km over, and guess what no more warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back