Filter Superceded No ADBV to ADBV Filter

Car in question is a '86 Monte Carlo SS w/ the L69 305 small block Chevy motor. Question about anti-drainback filters. GM/AC Delco has replaced the old standby PF25 filter (no ADBV) with the PF454 filter (ADBV). In this application is there a benefit using the new filter? WIX offers the following:

PF25 > 51069 (w/o ADBV)

PF454 > 57099 (w/ ADBV)

The same changes apply to the longer PF35 as well w/ WIX offering 2 versions.

So my question is, stick w/ the 'old school' filter, go w/ the 'new' filter, or just use whichever is available or cheaper (if there is a difference)?

TIA

The ADBV prevents dirty oil from draining out of the filter........ if the filter mounts with the holes facing down. So basically the benefits of the ADBV depend on how the filter is mounted. How is yours mounted ?

The ADBV prevents dirty oil from draining out of the filter........ if the filter mounts with the holes facing down. So basically the benefits of the ADBV depend on how the filter is mounted. How is yours mounted ?
Straight up on the bottom of the block, like all small block Chevs until the geniuses decided to switch the side the front drive shaft was on (GMT400 models). After that the oil filter was mounted using a 90* adapter w/ the filter oriented 'horizontally'.

I'd use whichever is available and cheaper. I don't think a ADBV is going to do any harm anyway.

Even if not required or OE spec, having an adbv on replacement never hurts anything. Seems GM noted for this occurrence. Some come from factory with no adbv, ACDelco oem replacement will have one.

Even if a filter is mounted base up at the bottom of the engine, the ADBV can still prevent oil in the galleries above the filter from draining out. The filter won't necessarily drain out, but oil above it could causing no oil in galleries until the engine starts again.

Even if a filter is mounted base up at the bottom of the engine, the ADBV can still prevent oil in the galleries above the filter from draining out. The filter won't necessarily drain out, but oil above it could causing no oil in galleries until the engine starts again.
^^^^ this, isn't this why the ADBV filter was invented...?

Just my $0.02

^^^^ this, isn't this why the ADBV filter was invented...?

Just my $0.02
Yes, and all the GMs I've owned that had the filter mounted base up at the bottom of the engine always had an ADBV. It's better to have an ADBV than not, regardless of where the filter is mounted.

Back