Check over your filters for shipping damage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ordered some WIX filters for my vehicles from Amazon. They arrived in a really beat up box that looked like it had been opened before it arrived. When I opened the box, many of the filter boxes were either crushed, or had flaps ripped off in the box, and the packaging wasn't secured to prevent movement of the filters in transit.

Upon inspecting the filters, every single one had either a dent or some other defect caused by the transit (I think... unless they were packed this way). And this wasn't a 3rd party seller... these were sold and shipped by Amazon. Some of the dents were almost imperceptible, but if you looked closely, they were all out of form.

I called Amazon, and they sent out an entire new set of filters via 2nd day shipping. These new filters were pristine, and were packed correctly. I mailed back the damaged filters, and the case was closed. Amazon handled the issue well and I have no complaints.

Bottom line: CHECK YOUR FILTERS! I was surprised at the condition that these filters arrived at my home in given I have never had a problem with Amazon or their packaging before. Had I not closely inspected all of them, some had dents so minor they might have gotten past me, put on my vehicles, and then who knows if they would have failed and caused damage... and I would most likely have blamed WIX rather than the packaging and shipping of the filter itself.

Yep, I got a CASE of M1 0w-40 from Amazon (on sale + a Coupon...), ONE bottle was leaking a bit and
Amazon 1-day air'd another WHOLE CASE for free!

I have been buying from Amazon for years, and the customer service has always been outstanding. Never had a problem with my filters from them, but if I did I know they would make it right.

I have to differ on Amazon-they USED to always make it right, but the last parts I ordered from them (urethane & Nytrel spiders for the drive coupling on my log splitter) turned into a bit of a disaster. The 2 Nytrel spiders I ordered-one of them was actually rubber & twice the size of the other (correct) one, it had been clearly opened & repackaged, both of them had the same & correct part # on them. Called, sent it back, they promptly credited me-but then they subsequently "lost" it & started charging me, first for the return shipping, & then for the part! Three phone calls later, I just gave up & contested the credit card bill. Ever since they joined the Indian/Bangaladesh customer "service" trend-MASSIVE FACE PLANT!

This is SARAH

THANKYOOSIRFOPATIENTLYWAITN

/sigh x10

I usually just hangup early if they are not understandable or seem to be feeding me random not relevant information.

Example I called officemax (officedepot just bought them)
was total cluster.

I wanted an office chair that had just went on back-order. Apparently this means you cant use a gift card to purchase it.

The first person had no clue, hung up called back.. Second person didn't speak English, Hung up called back. Third person spoke decent English and offered to place order over phone. Spent 15min creating an office depot acct..(nearest one is 99mi away) Get to placing the order.. they put me on hold then tell me I cant pay for a back-ordered item with a gift card.

So cliff notes.. Many large business have had the bean counter takeover with disaster ideas.. Take their 1million bonus.. then flee to the next $$$$$$$ job before the ramifications of their poor decisions come crashing down.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC

Amazon has always treated me fairly.

I purchased from Amazon a cheap lensatic compass for the glove box.

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Prismatic...ensatic+Compass

I wasn't expecting much for $10 but it had some good reviews so I added one to my order.

This thing was garbage and I reviewed as such. I figured I'd just eat the cost; no big deal.

I never asked for a refund or exchange but Amazon contacted me a few days after I posted my review with an apology and told me they were refunding my money and the shipping costs. They also told me not to bother sending the compass back.

I went and purchased a real Camenga military compass with Tritium capsules.

Just read a comment which said that Amazon recently went from UPS to USPS for (at least most) shipping. Commenter stated that while UPS driver would leave the package, USPS protocol is that package must be delivered to addressee or put into mailbox. Anything that won't fit will be hauled back to postoffice--and addressee will have to go get it.

Will watch for followup. Source appears legit.

Amazon has always delivered filters and other items reliably to me.

But I always buy from Amazon directly and not the affiliated sellers on Amazon.

USPS works better for me too. UPS will break stuff from time to time.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
Just read a comment which said that Amazon recently went from UPS to USPS for (at least most) shipping. Commenter stated that while UPS driver would leave the package, USPS protocol is that package must be delivered to addressee or put into mailbox. Anything that won't fit will be hauled back to postoffice--and addressee will have to go get it.

I have probably had 10+ Amazon shipments to my house this last week delivered by USPS, they were all left on my doorstep.

I highly doubt Amazon will be changing policy as most customers to include me will be pretty p!ssed if I have to wait in line everyday at the Post Office to get my stuff. The only time I have seen USPS take back packages for Post Office pickup is for either signature required or if there is a high theft issue going on in an area.

Last edited:
We get a combination of the two as well. I guess it depends if the retailer wants a signature or not.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church

My carrier changed and the new carrier is too lazy to get out of the USPS vehicle and carry packages to the door. Since they would not fit in my mailbox at the curb she would take them back to the post office. I complained very loudly after watching her twice, and the carrier now gets out and walks to the door.

I just had an Amazon Prime package delivered by UPS on Tuesday... in the middle of a 4 inch snowstorm.

On the same day FedEx declined to deliver a package to me due to weather. I got no mail that day, either.

I searched on Amazon+USPS and the only deal I found was an agreement to do groceries, expected to run about $10M a year gross revenues. That's a drop in the bucket compared to Amazon's 7 billion dollar a year shipping outlay.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/23650...shipping-costs/

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I just had an Amazon Prime package delivered by UPS on Tuesday... in the middle of a 4 inch snowstorm.

On the same day FedEx declined to deliver a package to me due to weather. I got no mail that day, either.

I searched on Amazon+USPS and the only deal I found was an agreement to do groceries, expected to run about $10M a year gross revenues. That's a drop in the bucket compared to Amazon's 7 billion dollar a year shipping outlay.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/23650...shipping-costs/
They definitely have a deal for Sunday deliveries, have had a few Amazon boxes show up on Sunday, from USPS.

I feel anything that will not fit in a mailbox should require signature upon delivery. Packages should NEVER be left on the porch,etc.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I feel anything that will not fit in a mailbox should require signature upon delivery. Packages should NEVER be left on the porch,etc.

I guess it depends on where you live and if the sender requires a signature.

Whimsey

I had a drone fly over and drop off my last oil filter, the warehouse is only 12 miles from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back