MotorCraft filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to use MotorCraft oil filters and usually purchase them at WalMart. Twice in the last year I have gotten filters with a depression or dent on the bottom about the size of a quarter, not very deep but noticeable. The boxes were intact, no evidence of damage, and the filters looked pristine except for the dent, no paint damage, etc. I have gone ahead and used without problem but has anyone else experienced this? I am not trying to blame WalMart, that is just where they were purchased. It is to the point where I feel like I must open the box and check the filter no matter where I buy.

Scott

Last edited:
I always check the filters before purchasing. I check for dents and problems with the gasket. Takes about 2 seconds and I usually look at two or three before I find one acceptable. My .02

Yep... check every item at Walmart before heading to the register.

Really thou, I do this with all my purchases - in any store - prior to purchase. The only ones I don't check are the factory-sealed boxes/containers/wraps.

Last edited:
It wasn't with a Motorcraft filter but I bought a Supertech filter a little while ago and when I went to put it on the car I was working on, the gasket just fell off. From what I understand, it isn't really a big deal as you can put them back on, but I wasn't confident with it and returned it anyways. Never had a filter with dents though.

Filter dents do happen. The boxes are very forgiving. I've dented a few myself, while stocking the shelves at AZ. You drop it, it hits the concrete. Box looks fine, but there's a dent in the filter. Life goes on.

Originally Posted By: Scott077
I always check the filters before purchasing. I check for dents and problems with the gasket. Takes about 2 seconds and I usually look at two or three before I find one acceptable. My .02

I do the same thing. If the filter is flaking or has a dent, NO GO, back on the shelf.

I always buy my filters from the Dodge dealer because they are always new out of the box, they go through so many oil filters that they are never old, it is worth it even if you pay a little more money or get them at a automotive parts shop that keeps them behind the counter so people are not handling them constantly, I have been at Walmart too many times and have seen people take them out of the box and drop them.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
But its normally the other end that gets the small dent, not the sealing ADBV end.

That's the big issue. If the dent starts flexing in an out with pressure fluctuations ...it can crack. I imagine most are just fine ..but since you can't spec a dent for acceptable levels, it's best not to use a filter with one.

That said, I've used filters with dimples in them without issue. I do check the can now if I purchase a filter at any outlet.

Bottom line is this: No store is going to reimburse you your time and gas for having to return a defective product. I open things I'm going to buy because it's the responsible thing to do. If it's in a sealed package, then I wait til I buy it but it still gets opened up before I leave the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back