Today's OCI debacle - dented XG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few reminders I had to relearn the hard way today.
So I finally got some free time this morning to change the oil in the focus. I had my 5qts of edge EP 0w-20 and my FU 3614 ready to go. Got the focus up on the ramps, oil draining and filter off. Put the plug in and go to put the filter on. It was a new 20k fu in a perfectly square and sealed box. I pull the filter out and go to put it on and notice a large dent near the smooth to grip transition. Here where things become a debacle. Since I'm going 12-13k and 1yr, no way I'm using a dented filter. I need another filter. Car is parked on ramps in the driveway. In order to move the car I had to put the filter on, fill it full of oil and move it. Driveway is a nice incline so I can't coast it out of the way easily.

Drove to autozone (8 mins away) and picked up a M1 filter and a jug of M1EP (oil for next OCI). Walmart is 15 minutes away for a FU and a cluster on sundays, won't ever catch me there at that time. Get home put the focus back up on ramps, pull the FU off, put the M1 filter on and replaced the .5qt of oil. STP XL was made in china and STP MX felt and looked cheap for a 15k filter.

The worst part about this is, I could have prevented this whole thing. The FU was perfectly sealed and a square box, I ASSUMED the filter was ok. Guess I need to open those FU before purchase or just have an extra filter on hand in the future. Quick and easy oil change took 2 hours. Another lesson, don't block the other vehicle from leaving.

Pics to follow. Dent is on the word "importe". After I pulled it off, I could press the dent up and down easily.

[censored] happens.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
You couldn't borrow your wife's car ?

She was gone for the day at work. Wasn't suspecting any issues, guess I'll do it in the garage from now on and not block the truck. It was a beautiful morning out and much brighter outside than in my garage.

ALWAYS inspect anything going on your car beforehand.. always.

I have 15 filters in my stash, and every single one of them has already been opened and given the once-over, including the Fram Ultras. No surprises that way.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I have 15 filters in my stash, and every single one of them has already been opened and given the once-over, including the Fram Ultras. No surprises that way.

Agreed, I always check and inspect items before putting things on. Think I just need to get a few extra filters on hand.

This reminds me of a time when the counter guy at the neighborhood parts store would take the filter out of the box and give it the once over right in front of me. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: car51
Don't you mean 3614?

Yes, edited. Thanks!

Yeah, the STP line of filters I'm done using. FRAM tough guard, ULTRA or WIX is ALL I'm using from here on out

this reminds me... when i chaged my oil a few weeks back, sliding out from under the car i noticed a steel colored scrape on my wix filter,maybe hair width, been meaning to slide back under there and hit it with a quick blast of spray paint.

it's a small maybe hair width scratch, but it faces foreward, and we're heading into salt season. i'd hate to develop a rust hole, and spray oil everywhere but INSIDE my engine...

Must remember this....

I have three rules to prevent issues like the OP is describing:
1. Always open the box and inspect the filter before buying.
2. Always have at least 2 filters on hand before starting an oil change. Who knows, one may slip out of my hand and be damaged during the process.
3. Never buy a Fram oil filter under any circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I would'a used it.

I would have used it, too.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I would'a used it.

Me 3
that location doesn't bother me. if it was up on/near the shoulder or the dome, maybe.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Agreed, I always check and inspect items before putting things on. Think I just need to get a few extra filters on hand.

IMHO, this is good practice anyways. Keep an extra 1 or 2 filters, and typical maintenance items, on hand for unexpected events such as this. Buy them when you find a great sale/clearance, and it's a Win/Win. I keep extra wiper blades, air/oil/cabin filters, bulbs, etc.. in my stash at home at all times, just for these kinds of events.

I would'a used it.

Yeah, me too.. that dent doesn't appear to be in a location that would compromise filtration, and doesn't appear to have hard edges, so I wouldn't think it would compromise can integrity.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I would'a used it.

Me 3
that location doesn't bother me. if it was up on/near the shoulder or the dome, maybe.

You all are saying you would have used a dented filter for over 10K and 1 year? If I can get the dent to flex by pushing on it, no thanks. I might have considered it if I was running a 5k OCI.

This is why I won't use Fram anymore,the paper thin cans. That's exactly where I squished the last TG I used,by merely gripping it with my hand while I was tightening it. My Nissan,Honda,and Motorcraft OEM's don't even squish when I remove them with channel locks.

Fram,if you're reading these posts,please strengthen up the can. Other than the flimsy cans,I think their filters are great!

You all are saying you would have used a dented filter for over 10K and 1 year? If I can get the dent to flex by pushing on it, no thanks. I might have considered it if I was running a 5k OCI.

10k for me is roughly 4 months, not a year, and for this filter I'd probably cut the OCI shorter, such as 7,500 miles. Doesn't really matter though. I'd be able to tell after just a day or so whether the dent was going to be a problem. I'd even wager that the internal oil pressure would 'un-dent' that dent pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back