To K&N or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in an attempt to locate an air filter for my 09 toyota corolla, I have checked Auto zone. Advanced auto. Murray's. Napa. Walmart and meijers. None have any filters in stock for my car. The toyota dealer wants 25 dollars for a oem filter. My question is, for the money, should I just pay another 25 bucks and get a k&n filter? I know there has been discussions as to k&n allowing more dirt into the engine. I just want your guys opinion on this before I buy the filter. Thanks

I had a K&N on the 05 Xg350L for 42K miles, I had not problems with the engine. The oil stayed clean, and i changed it every 6K miles.

I would definetly go with a Amsoil or AEM dry filter. Better flow and filtration over the 1950's K&N technology. You cannot see/smell nor feel the dirt/junk in your oil. But you can see it in the UOA's from the lab! I see Amsoil has the WIX air filter for your car....http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=49104-EA

ooops, I just noticed this thread is under the oil filter. I thought I posted it under air filters.. Sorry..

I would use a FRAM or OEM before I would use a K&N. Fram has a good gasket, is much cheaper and if changed every 20K Miles or less will do a much better job than a K&N IMO.

I just went on the Napa website. They're listing the Napa Gold 9104 filter if you have the 1.8 engine, and the 9172 if you have the 2.4 engine.

I have the same car. Unless you live at +4500RPM you will never see the 'benefit' of a higher flowing air filter. The stock/paper filter will outflow what your car in stock form demands anyways. The stock/paper filter will have the best filtering media as well.

thanks., I guess I will break down and pay the dealer 25 for the filter. Unless I order a wix or nappa gold online. But by the time I pay for shipping, im not really saving anything

Whenever you need to change engine air filter you may want to change cabin air filter too. Cabin air filter can be found here cheap, only $6.96 for your '09 Corolla: logical-source.com. They don't list the price for air filter, you need to call toll free for price. You may want to order several filters at the same time to save shipping cost.

Because I bought the vehicle in April of last year when they first came out. I travel a good distance to work every day. I have 26,000 miles on my car.

Man, can't a guy buy a new filter if he wants too? j/k..

Really, I have heard lots of people that change their filter or other parts out. Replacing the air filters or whatever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back