To change or not to change ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LckydevL
I have never heard of anyone having problems from servicing a transmission that is performing well.

It's not some kind of magic tune up you are doing with a fluid exchange, pan drop and a new filter. You are just doing basic maintenance to your vehicle.

If your not doing it yourself, make sure your mechanic describes EXACTLY what he is going to do with your transmission. No flushes and no fluid exchange through the dipstick.

Even if all you do is a pan drop and filter change, it will be a breath of fresh air for your transmission. Doing a total fluid exchange also, would be the best you can do for your vehicle.

What would be your concerns with a flush??

The term "flush" being used in a transmission service could mean several different things. You don't know if they are going to back flush it or use a number of different cleaning chemicals in it. I also find it funny that a lot of shops won't "flush" a high mileage transmission. Some will, but require proof of prior trans service. If flushing a trans is a good move, why all the conditions before attempting the service?

If you are having major problems with a dying trans, it might be worth a shot. But with all things being equal, I treat trans fluid maintenance just like my engine. Basic fluid and filter change is all that should be necessary. I don't back flush or use any cleaning chemicals in my engine when I change the oil. Why would I do that to my trans?

As I said before, if someone else is doing the trans service. Make them explain exactly what their service procedure includes before letting them work on your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back