To change or not to change ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jeep in my signature, 170,000 miles on it, no idea of service history. Other than the fact it looks & smells OK, no idea what it in the transmission. (I wouldn't be surprised if it was the factory fill...) So...should I or shouldn't I? I am concerned that a fluid change might much things up.

Note: for those unfamiliar with Cherokees, this is NOT a Chrysler transmission! It is an Aisin-Warner AW4, using Dexron III (not Chrysler's ATF+3).

If you plan on keeping the truck for a while, yes change the fluid.

I don't know how you can sleep at night not knowing what on earth is in there and how long it's been in there.

Originally Posted By: Artem
If you plan on keeping the truck for a while, yes change the fluid.

I don't know how you can sleep at night not knowing what on earth is in there and how long it's been in there.

He said it looks and smells ok.

It also shifts fine. (Well, as "fine" as the AW4's weird TCC lock/unlock ever gets.) The level is fine.

Well...I think I still have a gallon of Dexron in the garage, I might do that tomorrow if it's warm enough.

Id leave it, the metal particles in the fluid may be whats keeping it shifting at this point. Go easy on it, and be happy youve got 170k out of it.

change it! That trans doesn't have much of a filter, just a screen, and it will do you some good.

I have the same trans in my volvo with 234k and it's doing great.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Id leave it, the metal particles in the fluid may be whats keeping it shifting at this point.

Curious. How would metal particles in the fluid keep it shifting?

Originally Posted By: mewisemagic
if you change it you will more than likly have trouble with it

If he does a simple drain and fill procedure, why is he likely to start having trouble? I could see the concern if he was going to do a power flush of some kind, but I don't think that's his plan.

In my area, a tranny fluid and filter change is nearly unheard of. Transmission shops here want to "flush it" and its to my understanding they claim this process "back flushes" the filter and cleans it, rather than change it. I have been told negative stories of doing such to high milage trannys, however I have no actual proof of such negative occurances.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Id leave it, the metal particles in the fluid may be whats keeping it shifting at this point. Go easy on it, and be happy youve got 170k out of it.
Here we go with the never-ending Old wives' tales.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Change it and add a Magnefine filter to remove any crud the new ATF loosens up. I have a Magnefine in my 2001 Jeep GC.

Where do I get one of these?

And why does this sound like a more-elegant version of my uncle's epoxy-a-magnet-on-the-pan method?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Donald
Change it and add a Magnefine filter to remove any crud the new ATF loosens up. I have a Magnefine in my 2001 Jeep GC.

Where do I get one of these?

And why does this sound like a more-elegant version of my uncle's epoxy-a-magnet-on-the-pan method?

Napa has them, part number:1-8514. You get them cheaper online, for around 15ish though thru amazon, ebay etc.

Last edited:
you sure you have the AW4? If so, lucky you! those are very solid tranny's. I'd would definitely change (not flush) the fluid. some mfrs are now warning AGAINST flushes. drop the pan (which is completely rectangular on the AW4.) both of mine were no fun becaue the dipstick tube was rusted in place. I had to lift the truck a little for clearance. If you happen to have a 42RH/E i would definitelyuse ATF+4

Yes, I'm sure: ALL 4.0 Cherokees had the AW4. NONE used the 42RH or 42RE. Per the owners manual: the 4.0/auto uses Dexron III ATF. (The 4-bangers got the 30RH and use ATF+3.)

I think I am going to look for an aftermarket pan with a magnetic drain plug.

Nothing wrong with changing the ATF in an older vehicle. I did a pan drop and fluid change on a Nissan 3spd with 211,000 miles on it and while the shifting never improved it did no harm.

As for the AW4 nothing wrong with changing the ATF. I have the same trans on a toyota truck. I did a pan drop and several drain/refills with Dexron VI and it still operates smoothly.

i have the same aw4 in a 99 cherokee. i would change it with anything that list merc/dex III in the label. drain and fill an see how it goes. the aw4 has a screen they call a filter! i would not waste my time changing it again. mike

I have never heard of anyone having problems from servicing a transmission that is performing well.

It's not some kind of magic tune up you are doing with a fluid exchange, pan drop and a new filter. You are just doing basic maintenance to your vehicle.

If your not doing it yourself, make sure your mechanic describes EXACTLY what he is going to do with your transmission. No flushes and no fluid exchange through the dipstick.

Even if all you do is a pan drop and filter change, it will be a breath of fresh air for your transmission. Doing a total fluid exchange also, would be the best you can do for your vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back