to autorx or not (ATF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

i have a 03 mitsubishi galant with 82000 miles on it. Its ATF has oxidized and gives burnt smell. it was actually running very low on ATF until i discovered that a week ago. i just topped the fluid and the car is still shifting perfectly. now i am considering changing the fluid and doing an autorx cleanup. does this seem like a good idea?

regards

Yes I would run RX.

I would like to know how bad a fluid could be before it is recommended to change the fluid, then run RX.

If the fluid is really bad I would change it and then run the RX.

I'm a big fan of ARX in the tranny. I would not add it to ATF that is no longer serviceable though. I would flush the tranny with new fluid, and then add the ARX. Then I would flush it again after 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I'm a big fan of ARX in the tranny. I would not add it to ATF that is no longer serviceable though. I would flush the tranny with new fluid, and then add the ARX. Then I would flush it again after 1000 miles.

This what you need too do, follow INDYMAC'S advice and you should be fine.

I would get the old ATF out ASAP.

At least do a drain and fill before ARX.

I heartily agree with ARX'ing your transmission. It's the second-hardest working part in the car besides the engine. Auto trannys need TLC too.

Definitely go with ARX, it does wonders in an A/T. On the other hand, do not use any ATF other than SP-III in your Galant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back