Tires will not stay in balance?

2020 Ram 1500, currently at 10K miles. Tires are OE Goodyear Fortitude HT, 275/65-18. Wheels are OE.

For the first 4K miles there was no vibration at any speed, even up to 95 mph.

Starting at 5K, I noticed a light vibration when cruising at speeds above 80 mph.

At 6K, I performed Costco to perform a Rotate & Balance. The vibration was mostly resolved, but not perfect. The tech said each tire was out of balance by 1.00-1.50oz.

By 8K, the vibration returned and was very noticeable at speeds above 75 mph.

Earlier today, at 10K, I paid America’s Tire to road force balance the tires. Measurements were 9, 11, 14 and 18...which is within spec. However, again, every tire was 1.5-2oz out of balance. I have not driven the truck on the highway after the work was completed.

My question:

All tires appear to be wearing evenly and have 12/32” remaining. Why do these tires require constant rebalancing? I have not lost any weights.

I had a not dissimilar issue for many years; in the end I put it down to tyres being flat spotted during the car's 18 months storage.
If your problem is with the new tyres only and the car has been fine, is it possible that the carcase of the tyre is not rigid enough to stay in place?
I would get the manufacturer involved

2018 RAM 1500 2wd short bed reg cab. Factory Goodyear tires. Same problem. 2 tires were warrantied. Balanced 2-3 times, road force balance twice. Still vibrated. Got tired of it. Michelin LTX 2's fixed the problem.
That being said. My 2021 GMC Canyon 2wd ext cab has Goodyear Fortitude HT's on it and is smooth as glass.

Last edited:
Where are the balance weights put? On the edge of the rim, or only on the inside edge and behind the spokes or even near the center line for the outside edge?

In my experience, on the outside edges or as close to them as possible has the highest chance of success to cure shimmy completely. If the ET is off, the shimmy effects get worse, the wheels factory fit but no spacers?

Take it back to the dealership and have them check the balance. Many jack-leg tire shops are in the business to sell tires or up sell other services. Costco, Walmart and the likes don’t have the most dedicated employees in their TLE departments. Your dealership is qualified and can get your tire situation ironed out. The dealership would have been my first stop.

Tires slipping on the rim?

1oz or more out of balance? I know they are big truck tires but isn’t that a lot of weight? How much weight is it taking to get into balance?

I’d consider marking the tire in reference to a fixed point on the wheel such as the valve stem to see if they are slipping on the wheel.
Tires slipping on the rim?

1oz or more out of balance? I know they are big truck tires but isn’t that a lot of weight? How much weight is it taking to get into balance?
I would have to wonder about slipping.

I’d consider marking the tire in reference to a fixed point on the wheel such as the valve stem to see if they are slipping on the wheel.
Is this a top-fuel hemi? NHRA top-fuel cars have their tires screwed to the rims so the tires don't spin on the rim, however, they also have 10,000+ HP. I've never heard of a normal automotive tire spinning on the rim.

Is this a top-fuel hemi? NHRA top-fuel cars have their tires screwed to the rims so the tires don't spin on the rim, however, they also have 10,000+ HP. I've never heard of a normal automotive tire spinning on the rim.

though I would tend to doubt it on factory assemblies, it’s not at all unheard of if too much mounting lubricant is used. Braking In particular can cause significant torque. I’m not saying it’s probable, but it’s worth checking on a problem vehicle.

I have seen occasions where the tire pumps at gas stations get water logged and when you use their air you get water too. Also your balance is destroyed.

Sorry if I missed it but is this only at 75mph and up? I've got the 17's on my 2019 classic and may hit 75mph, with my driving, but rarely more.
That's an odd one if it keeps happening. I follow a busy Ram forum and people complain about the OEM goodyears all the time, but I'm not sure I've read of this balancing issue, or many issues at all on the 18" on the latest generation 1500s.

The 17" GY Wrangler SR-As were decent on my 2017 and 2019.

It's possible the belts are shifting. A balance will correct the problem for a short time, until the belts shift again. I've had such bad luck with Goodyear tires that I won't buy them anymore.

It's possible the belts are shifting. A balance will correct the problem for a short time, until the belts shift again. I've had such bad luck with Goodyear tires that I won't buy them anymore.
Belts don't shift!!

But silicone will cause a tire to slip on the rim - and it's hard to get the rim clean after that.

Belts don't shift!!

But silicone will cause a tire to slip on the rim - and it's hard to get the rim clean after that.
A quick search on "Goodyear tires belts slip shift" turned up lots of results.

I don't know what the correct technical term is, but the majority of the Goodyear tires I used to buy caused front end shimmy, which was not corrected by rebalancing. Something had gone wrong with the tires themselves. I also had this problem with my one set of Michelin winter tires.

My several sets of Nokians, and my one set of Pirellis, have not given me any problems.

When I had my last set of Goodyear tires road-force balanced at Winnipeg Wheel, the tech said the one tire could be not be balanced because the "belts had shifted".

My thoughts too.

Jack it up and spin the tire. Look for out of round.

I am 100% positive that Critic can't stand this problem for long!

Back