Tires for Ford Transit 350 15 Pass Van

The commuter transit van I ride in is on those michelins. The tread pattern is a little funny (and basic) but they ride quiet and smooth. Driver is aggressive and doesn't hydroplane. Snow is ok judging by parking lots, haven't ridden in a full on highway speed event yet.

Just got them installed this morning and the improvement in ride is more than just what you'd expect from new tires vs. old. I feel confident in saying it drives/rides better than with any other set of tires it's had. The jury is out on the quietness because the stretch of US highway between DT and home is concrete that has horizontal grooves in it, so any tire will be noisy there. But I'm heading out to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton tomorrow. It'll get a good 2 hour ride on I70 each way and I'll be able to judge the noise level then. I'll also have 11 to 13 passengers in the van with me, so it'll have a heavy load, as well. So we'll have a good idea of highway manners near what is about the max load we ever have in it. I will say the Hankook's were good on the highway and tracked well, so they were a decent baseline for comparison.

I'll post some pics up in a bit. They are much more aggressive looking in person than in pictures. The side bars for curb protection add to that aggressive look and they should do the job. This van gets rear tires rubbed on the curbs all the time, especially in our small town where you can't always make wide turns. Also, the spaces in the open shoulder are as wide as an all terrain tread. I can't wait to get a deep snow and try them out. They can only be better than the Hankooks, which are no better than racing slicks in the snow.

Last edited:
Well, the trip to Dayton was great. They were plenty quiet, or at least as quiet as all the other tires that have been on that van. They handle well and are very stable at up to 80mph. They ride very comfortably, too. Unfortunately, we didn't get anything more than damp roads, so the rain and snow tests are yet to come.

I'm very please with them so far, though. I didn't perceive any difference in fuel economy, either. If there is, it wouldn't be enough to detect with the butt meter.

So far, so good.

Mastercraft Courser HXT/Stratus AP. I had HXTs on my Nissan NV200 and they were much improved over the standard JK cargo tires. They're worth a look.

Mastercraft Courser HXT/Stratus AP. I had HXTs on my Nissan NV200 and they were much improved over the standard JK cargo tires. They're worth a look.

My brother has had some Mastercraft tires on his Jeep and loved them. I've already got the Michelins and so far, so good, but I haven't really tested them in the wet or snow. They are as expected in the dry and very nice on the highway. I'll try to remember to post up when (if) we get a nice snow or a big rain.

Thanks!

I drove the van on snow today and all I can say is, "Wow!" The difference in the Michelins over the Hankooks is night and day. The Hankooks would not get up the driveway on the kind of snow we had. Never. The van walks right up it now with no trouble. Acceleration is better, braking is better, and turning stability is better. And it is by a huge margin. I'm very pleased with these tires so far. They are quiet and track beautifully on the highway (no different than the Hankooks, which were great in the dry) and they are outstanding in the snow. I have driven on wet pavement but not in a hard rain yet, so that test remains. But so far, they are a major upgrade.

I ruptured a sidewall on my CC, so I have kumho winter tyres on the front now. Grip took a nosedive in the wet and dry. 20% lower speeds in corners, 20% slower acceleration in 1st and 2nd, 20% longer brake distance. Not driven the Kumho I'zen on snow or ice yet, but the CC was good enough for my needs.

I had the original crossclimate, not the + or the 2. Can't replace them like for like sadly.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

I’m going to get theee for my Ram next time.

Eco friendly and my favorite tire tread.
I drove them in snow today and they were MUCH better than the Hankook's. This vehicle is really a pig in the snow, but these tires moved it up to being manageable. I could not be happier with how they performed.

I know it's a little late now but a lot of guys swear by the General Grabber HTS 60 on Dually Trucks and I would think a 15 passenger would be a similar application. It works well in the snow and the center rib design makes it run cooler and wear better in heavy load situations. It's not the very best in snow but it's a very well rounded package for heavy use.

@IndyFan, can we get an update on these tires?
They are wearing perfectly, which means hardly at all. They are easily the best tire I've had on this van. They are outstanding in the rain, even if heavy, and from what I remember last year they were vastly superior in snow to previous tires. Overall, I'm really pleased with them and highly recommend them. They ride nice, too, and are quiet enough.

I found them to be a winner aswell. Maybe not the best in winter, or the best in rain or the best in dry, but up there with the good ones, and that makes it a tyre with very little flaws.

Maybe it's more important what a tyre sucks at, than what it's the best at...

Back