Tired of people that refuse to prepare ....

i back feed into my house 120v with a male plug from generator to outside receptical,,,shutting off power companys feed & main breaker,buy be very carefull on hookups,,,,works great with 3600w gen,all 120v appliances etc,best to consult a electrician first .

Generator to power water well - check

My well pump will run off a 120V-240V step-up transformer, connected to a 1500 watt inverter, connected to a deep-cycle marine battery or the battery in my car. That's because it's a constant pressure variable speed pump and with a single faucet running it only consumes 800-900W and has no start-up surge because it soft-starts.

The only reason for the short Y cord is that this honda 2000 only has one edison plug and a 30 amp connector - its called the eu 2000 companion - its designed to run in parallel with another 2K.

Im not sure you'd need more than one grounding plug per genset? Maybe you would?

A bonding plug is if your generator is powering extension cords and not hooked up to your houses electrical panel. If it’s hooked up to the panel, you want to break the bond and have a floating neutral.

Most generator manufacturers will advise you how to set your generator up as a floating neutral or a bonded neutral. You basically take off an outlet and connect/disconnect your white wire with your ground wire. Either at an outlet or at the powerhead.

A bonding plug is if your generator is powering extension cords and not hooked up to your houses electrical panel. If it’s hooked up to the panel, you want to break the bond and have a floating neutral.

Most generator manufacturers will advise you how to set your generator up as a floating neutral or a bonded neutral. You basically take off an outlet and connect/disconnect your white wire with your ground wire. Either at an outlet or at the powerhead.

Makes sense the panel has a hard ground.

It's my experience that about 97% of all home appliances in the wattage window run just fine without that plug. I never needed one myself, but I always put in transfer switches in all my houses.

The only devices I've ever needed a bonding plug for have been furnaces, and then only for an inverter genny - the 3600RPM fixed genset seem to have no problem.

This guys furnace ran fine on the cheapie 5K, window shaker but he couldn't carry more than 5 gallons at a time because he only had one 5 er which would run the shaker 8 hours.....

My Chonda manual doesn't say anything, but it appears all the 12V plugs are on the same neutral anyway so I presume one bonding plug would work.

1678101133505.png

Last edited:
I had originally hoped to work a natural gas standby generator into the build budget on this house (built in 2016) but I just couldnt swing it so I had the electrician run a box into the garage near the roll up door and install the blockoff on the panel. I already had a generator big enough to power the well, fridge and furnace blower so we just stayed with that setup. Sure is nice to have power when the neighbors dont. I even turned my outside Christmas lights on one year during an outage :cool:
Although I dont have DTE anymore, anyone that grew up or lived in an area with DTE power learned quickly that you needed a backup.

“You have a truck, right? Can I borrow it”?

Just got this request from a multi millionaire extended family member. I told him my truck was broken.

Last time he asked me to move furniture for him, I used my truck, 4 hours of my time, my gas, my furniture dolly, carried it up two flights of stairs, and after I was all done he couldn’t even offer to pay for my gas. Didn’t even throw me $20. Just an insincere thanks and good bye. And to make it even worse, he was drunk and crashed into my car , scratching it. Never said anything. Never offered to pay for damages.

Last time I ever use my truck to help him out.

There is VERY few people I will help out nowadays. It’s my parents, my in laws, and just a very few friends. Everyone else gets a “I’m busy sorry”
“You never realize how many ‘friends’ you have till you buy a truck.”

I too only help family/in-laws/very close friends… though I poke fun at my brother for spending $32k on a used(!!!) Jeep Cherokee instead of a truck because he just “couldn’t” live without certain options 🙄

Probably stated a few times earlier: Life is problematic until you learn to just say no to requests like the OP has gotten. Before long, these folks stop asking.

It is all on me. It's become enablement for some for sure. This is whats grating. It's not lost on me my good nature is being abused.

I've watched a lot of older people living alone up here in the mountains prepare pretty well and seen others flounder.
Uncle Dave, I live up in the Southern California mountains. My area got about 2.5 ft of snow recently but not nearly as bad as the Crestline/Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear region which was absolutely hammered. And I am seeing on the news that a lot of people on the narrow back streets are trapped and without food. While I feel sorry for them, it seems like poor planning on their part.

I have the Weather Channel website bookmarked and have found it to be remarkably accurate regarding when storms will hit and how much rain or snowfall is expected. People up there should have known the storm of the century was coming and stocked up on supplies or got out of town. I am fortunate that the builder of my home installed a 16 Kw Generac generator on a pad beside my garage and hard wired into the main panel. It runs off of my propane tank. The power goes out frequently here, especially during the summer when SCE shuts it off as a precaution against downed power lines starting fires. Downed trees in my neighborhood during this past storm meant my power was out most of one day. I did have to wade through thigh high snow to shovel the snow away from the generator which was buried but I did that before the power went out as a precaution.

I also have a walk in pantry and keep more than a week's worth of packaged and canned food in there. I have a good supply of firewood in the garage too which helps keep my propane consumption down if the generator is running. And I bought a snowblower last season since at age 67 I'm getting too old to shovel my way out.

Being prepared is better than being lazy or dumb. But some people find out the hard way.

Uncle Dave, I live up in the Southern California mountains. My area got about 2.5 ft of snow recently but not nearly as bad as the Crestline/Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear region which was absolutely hammered. And I am seeing on the news that a lot of people on the narrow back streets are trapped and without food. While I feel sorry for them, it seems like poor planning on their part.

I have the Weather Channel website bookmarked and have found it to be remarkably accurate regarding when storms will hit and how much rain or snowfall is expected. People up there should have known the storm of the century was coming and stocked up on supplies or got out of town. I am fortunate that the builder of my home installed a 16 Kw Generac generator on a pad beside my garage and hard wired into the main panel. It runs off of my propane tank. The power goes out frequently here, especially during the summer when SCE shuts it off as a precaution against downed power lines starting fires. Downed trees in my neighborhood during this past storm meant my power was out most of one day. I did have to wade through thigh high snow to shovel the snow away from the generator which was buried but I did that before the power went out as a precaution.

I also have a walk in pantry and keep more than a week's worth of packaged and canned food in there. I have a good supply of firewood in the garage too which helps keep my propane consumption down if the generator is running. And I bought a snowblower last season since at age 67 I'm getting too old to shovel my way out.

Being prepared is better than being lazy or dumb. But some people find out the hard way.

Office is Grass Valley @about 2600 FT- buried
Im in Penn Valley at 1500 feet - not a flake accumulated.
The chain control sign is 1/4 mile from my house.

Although Im neither a pepper or survivalist I do come from midwestern farmer roots Northern Indiana Chicago style.
At some point you were going to be stuck without the ability to go anywhere without power and only with what was in the pantry.
So we prepared sensibly.

Another thing that these lack of prep type people have is a sense that someone is SUPPOSED to help them.. More of a sense of entitlement, acting like adult babies. What will eventually happen when it gets really bad.. is mob-mentality, they will find the person who has prepped and just steal by force because don't you know?!! only THEY matter..
Good luck. What are the chances that they will have enough guns and ammo to take my stuff if they can't think far enough ahead for gas, tools, etc.

I have a feeling a lot of the people living in CA mountains that got caught by surprise are the office workers that moved there during COVID. They probably have no idea what it’s like living outside of a big city.

There was a ton of movement in both ways the last couple of years.

Covid pushed people into the country....

Poor performing electric reliability, Fires, and storms like this year and December 21 pushed others away.

It's a very eery feeling to be standing in the middle of thousand of trees and hearing one crack next to you and fall - its extremely dangerous.

Good luck. What are the chances that they will have enough guns and ammo to take my stuff if they can't think far enough ahead for gas, tools, etc.
oh hey I know good luck to them, won't get them very far. Most likely some will group together to try and take from those that have (which will end badly for them, because the ones that prepared won't go quietly) others will probably try and find their "Safe space" and just quietly exit this world. Either way I find it sad, history has shown this sad story over and over again. Man.. I'm just a ray of sunshine today, lol..

Back