Tired of people that refuse to prepare ....

Yeah - we have enough gas heat that does not need power - so the gens are for other stuff …

How does a setup like that work?

Im Montreal they had nat gas radiators fed off a main gas line no blower strictly a radiator.
When it got really really cold the pressure dropped way down as everyone in town was calling for gas.

How does a setup like that work?

Im Montreal they had nat gas radiators fed off a main gas line no blower strictly a radiator.
When it got really really cold the pressure dropped way down as everyone in town was calling for gas.
Gas fireplace, gas cooktop, and radiant heater in utility room …
(and carbon monoxide monitors) …

Another thing that these lack of prep type people have is a sense that someone is SUPPOSED to help them.. More of a sense of entitlement, acting like adult babies. What will eventually happen when it gets really bad.. is mob-mentality, they will find the person who has prepped and just steal by force because don't you know?!! only THEY matter..

Gas fireplace, gas cooktop, and radiant heater in utility room …
(and carbon monoxide monitors) …

I have a gas stove in the living room that can run without electricity.
I also have some kerosene heaters on standby - and if gas keeps going up I may end up using these a bunch more ext year.

Radiants are great.
When you say gas do you mean nat gas or propane?

Reactions: 4WD
I have a gas stove in the living room that can run without electricity.
I also have some kerosene heaters on standby - and if gas keeps going up I may end up using these a bunch more ext year.

Radiants are great.
When you say gas do you mean nat gas or propane?
Natural gas …

I don't loan out anything of value. Loaned out tools only to have them come back with parts of the set missing. Loaned out a pedestal sump pump. It was dropped off at my place broken and burned up without apology or acknowledgement. It has fallen over into the water and killed itself. A family member loaned out a backhoe to contractor. It came back with a blown gear box. Guy never said anything or offered to repair it. Very sad.

Some people are just leeches, simple as that. The ones who actually need help are usually too humble to ask. It's no big deal if it's a once in a while occasion, everyone has their moments, but it becomes a problem when it is the same people over and over. These people usually just float through life expecting that others will help them out, and they are usually right.

We had a foot a snow in one day here 2 weeks ago. I was the only person that shoveled my driveway in the neighborhood. I couldn’t believe how many cars had snow on them 4-5 days after the storm. Most of my co-workers don’t even own a car ice scraper.

I buy things when I dont need them, that way I have them when I do.
I havent been afraid to cut ponies from the herd over the years. Theres only a few people who I will actually help. My circle of trust is very small and has been refined over the years. People at work used to say they would come to my place in a SHTF situation, my response was typically you wont like the reception youll get.

“You have a truck, right? Can I borrow it”?

Just got this request from a multi millionaire extended family member. I told him my truck was broken.

Last time he asked me to move furniture for him, I used my truck, 4 hours of my time, my gas, my furniture dolly, carried it up two flights of stairs, and after I was all done he couldn’t even offer to pay for my gas. Didn’t even throw me $20. Just an insincere thanks and good bye. And to make it even worse, he was drunk and crashed into my car , scratching it. Never said anything. Never offered to pay for damages.

Last time I ever use my truck to help him out.

There is VERY few people I will help out nowadays. It’s my parents, my in laws, and just a very few friends. Everyone else gets a “I’m busy sorry”
Yeah it's people like this who make you not want to loan anything out, and are so cheap they would never offer to pay you for your help. I won't usually except payment if I'm helping someone out, but just offering payment means a lot. I only have a few people I'll loan things out to, and I know they are like me and whatever it is will come back in better shape than when it left most likely.

A few years ago I was borrowing a friend's car while mine was down. It was her extra car, and at the time I only had one vehicle that was waiting on parts. She let me use it, and in exchange I was doing some maintenance on it. Well driving down the highway a rock kicked up from a truck and cracked the windshield. I told her what happened, showed a picture of it, then paid for a new windshield. She said it was fine and things happen, but I couldn't bring it back like that.

I'll bring up something many people with a generator that have a gas or propane furnace haven't thought of. If you have no transfer switch, have your furnace set up with a plug so if the power goes out, you can run an extension cord to it from the generator.

My first house, which my younger sister lives in is set up like that. I'll get a pic from her and post it later.
That's what I do. Just run cords all through the house.

I'm talking rich people - people that can afford to prepare and just dont?

I'm getting bail out fatigue.
I'm all for helping poeple but after some number of rescues its time to man up and take care of your own.

"Well my power is out for the next three days" can you loan me a generator?
But you have a generator right? - yeah but it wont start and I only have 5 gallons of gas anyway and that will only last 8 hours -
Did you get the transfer switch put in? No i canceled the guy I didnt want to spend the 500.00...
Didnt you drain the carb like we talked about? No I forgot.
"I sold my snowblower last year" ..
I cant get more fuel I cant get out of my own driveway because I dont have a 4x4/ and or snow tires even though this has happened every year for the last 4 years.

On a different note - prep or buy a grounding plug just in case if you have an inverter generator and test your setup before you depend on it.

View attachment 143430
I have a grounding plug, but I don't have the short Y cord, I will get one. My 3500W gen has 2 @ 120V outlets - would I need the Y setup and grounding plug for each plug - or you think 1 is enough?

By the way, these home solutions are not recommended and don’t meet code. You need a proper isolation switch from the grid. We have discussed this many, many times. Yeah, my brother in-law has a home made suicide extension cord with male prongs on either end.

Last edited:
I have a grounding plug, but I don't have the short Y cord, I will get one. My 3500W gen has 2 @ 120V outlets - would I need the Y setup and grounding plug for each plug - or you think 1 is enough?

The only reason for the short Y cord is that this honda 2000 only has one edison plug and a 30 amp connector - its called the eu 2000 companion - its designed to run in parallel with another 2K.

Im not sure you'd need more than one grounding plug per genset? Maybe you would?

By the way, these home solutions are not not recommended. You need a proper isolation switch from the grid. We have duscussed this many, many times. Yeah, my brother in-law has a home made suicide extension cord with male prongs on either end.

He's not back feeding anything - just running extension cords.

Back