Tired of Pennzoil Bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am guilty of bashing Pennzoil in the past, just from what I had heard from others, that just thought that they knew what they were talking about. I started to think about it & decided to do a little research about it, because of all of the vechicles that I knew were using Pennzoil, at every 5000 mile OC, that were fleet vechicles at work that never had motor problems at all. If the company trucks were still running, Pennzoil must be pretty good, because they were used & abused, & still running now. The internet is a wonderful tool to educate yourself on all types of things, but there is also a ton of [censored] on the 'net, too. Now I'm a Pennzoil user, & have been for a few years now, & I don't plan to stop.

It stems from people never servicing their cars enough, and going as cheap as possible when they did. Pennzoil being an inexpensive oil naturally caters to the budget minded. It's sold in bulk to service stations. When something goes bad, blame the bell. Older cars in older times really needed 4x the maintenance today's vehicles do. Rebuilds were 75k miles. Most people don't even remove a spark plug at that mileage anymore.

My anecdotal evidence is my father was cheap and bought what was on sale. Pre-internet oil junkie for sure. Sometimes brought home was pennzoil, other times it was a random house brand. Took a 1981 pontiac pheonix past 260k miles, sold it running. Took a 1980 pinto past 220k miles and was totalled. He also told me that its better to have a full crankcase of filthy oil than a quart low of fresh oil. I prefer to have neither of course.

If i copied someone else i apologize. My grandfather used to be an aircraft mechanic, and he told my dad back in the 1960's to use diesel engine oil (red can i think) in his truck (good ole Pennzoil), because the regular stuff did not contain detergents. because of that my dad had a clean engine in his 1968 Ford 250 pickup. today things are different and gasoline engine oil is so advanced in the additive package, that just about all dino oils are equally good and won't do any harm when changed out at the proper service interval. I use good ole pennzoil and quaker state in both my car and suv. In my Durango, the valve train chatter comes and goes. i posted in an earlier thread that Pz eliminated it, but all it did was quiet it down. which of course there is nothing wrong with that at all. Think of it like this My 4.7 V8 in my dodge is a known sludge engine, and it has been on a pennzoil diet since the day it drove off the lot back in march of 2000, and it now has 140,000 miles on it. i ran castrol for one oci and swiched back because pennzoil was cheaper and the engine was a little quieter. I have no trace of sludge in my engine. I wouldn't put it in if i knew it to be bad. great oil for a great price. use it with confidence
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth related to oil and oil changes. What a thrill....huh? A History of my Nissan P/U:

In August, 2000, I purchased a brand new Nissan Frontier P/U, with just 90 miles on it, and I traded in a 1991 worn out Ford F-150 P/U for it, the transmission of the F-150 "died" as soon as I parked it on the lot of the dealership (it was sold off as scrap by the dealer).

Well, I changed the oil, regularly, at the 3k/3 months intervals using Dino oil, 5W-30 Quaker State, Pennzoil, and 1x only Citgo Oil from the dealer that sold the truck to me, then back to Pennzoil, and finally, Conoco Oil from Jiffy Messy Lube, they lost my washers from my air filter housing, after I told everyone there not to touch my air filter housing. That was the last time I ever went to them. Then, in 2008, I went to a small independent mechanic shop very close to where I live, and I decided to try Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W-30 with Purolator Oil Filter. Castrol was very dark after just 3k miles on the oci, and I changed it out around the 5k mark. OEM recommends 3,750 miles/3 months, I think regarding months, between oil changes. Truck has been out of warranty since August, 2003. Well, I changed to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and Purolator Oil Filter, the oil, this time at 1k was as dark as the Castrol was at 3k. My vehicle has over 84k on it and is about to hit the 85k soon. In my humble opinion, the vehicle seems to run quieter with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic than with any other oil, and the mileage has improved from 22 mpg to 24.5 mpg in stop/go driving. It has even gotten to the 27.5 mpg mark a couple of times in stop/go driving and going 70-80 mph on the expressway. The only time it went down was when I went to the seacoast one weekend in February, 2009, and my mileage shrank to just 17 mpg. I wonder if it had anything to do with sea level and the Exxon Gasoline I used at the time. I, normally, go to Valero for gasoline, Exxon,Chevron or Texaco to fill up, it depends on which gasoline is the cheapest at the time. Valero has been the cheapest for the most part around here. In 2008 I drove my Mustang to the sea coast as well, and it too suffered in the miles per gallon area as well. Something at sea level and the gasoline mixture for sea level causes a loss in mpg, in my opinion.

So, I think that I will continue to use a Full Synthetic in the Nissan, probably Mobil 1 again, with the Purolator Pure One Filter.

By the way, my dipstick is as clean as the day I bought the truck new from the dealer.
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back