Tire Wear On Heavy Widebody Jets ?

I have a PhD (phony degree) in guessing but have an eye for human nature. My guess is that prespinning the tires would require *perfect* balancing or it might impart a mighty vibration in the cabin before landing. Not cool for the self loading freight. Recaps and the need for super precise balancing probably rules out the prespin. That's my expert guess........

It can, and has been done, at least aerodynamically. Dont know that we will see it implemented on a commercial plane anytime soon, but it has been done.
I have seen small "private" aircraft with vanes on tires to catch the wind and make them spin about 50 years ago. One issue is how you do not want this unless you have retractables. And then there is a concern about how long you want the wheel bearing spinning.

The modestly sized main tires on our Gulfstream G600 are $4500 each. Labor for a tire change is about a day's work @ $165/hr. That's without wheel overhauls or NDT. They are bigger than car or pickup truck tires, but nowhere near the size of big jet tires.

$24K (roughly) for a set of tires. They last about 240 landings. Or a very neat $100 per landing.

Back