Tire was plugged should l get it patched?

patch plug is proper repair.

That being said I have used high quality string plugs in the past. Almost all my repairs come from finding nails during tire rotation.. the tire has never went flat or lost air.

It is not an improper repair. Is a patch "better" ? Yeah, probably, but for decade after decade, plugging tires was 100% acceptable.
Technically according to RMA the only acceptable repair is a patch plug. But I already described my stance on it.
image_2022-07-09_120338169.jpg

So allow me to add some context to this discussion.

First, the RMA (now the USTMA - US Tire Manufacturers Association) has had that statement above out for as long as I can remember. I've even sat in on meetings where we discussed revisions to it. (I can't remember if we changed anything or not, but if we did, it was minor wording.)

Part of that discussion included the reasoning behind it - which is: If you repair something, it should function nearly as well as the unrepaired thing. In the case of tires, we know that if the tire lost pressure, it has lost some of its longevity - so it can't last as long as the original. Further, the structural integrity of the tire may have been compromised, so the repair has to address that. Plugs don't. Plus, it has been seen that sometimes the plug seals the outside, but doesn't on the inside causing a leak into the carcass, sometimes causing a separation.

But just a patch doesn't prevent outside contaminants from entering the carcass - like water.

Ergo, plug/patch combination.

I don't know how you can plug and patch? A plug is going to extend into the inside air cavity of the tire thus preventing a patch from being installed.

I don't know how you can plug and patch? A plug is going to extend into the inside air cavity of the tire thus preventing a patch from being installed.
There are 2 ways:

Trim the plug flush with the innerliner and apply the patch over that as normal.

Use a mushroom style combination.

The patch/plugs that I've seen are 1-piece and the plug goes from inside to outside.

Attachments

• 1657461375649.jpg
    1657461375649.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11
I’ve plugged numerous tires and never had a problem. Some tires had a couple of plugs in them.

Like Rand said, most nails were discovered while I was rotating tires. If I saw a nail and it wasn’t losing air, I left it in. Let it wear down as the tire wears down

I plug our own tires all the time. Never once had a problem.
Me too. But a few months ago, since Costco does it for free, took it there for a patch job. That was the first time. I find that years down the line, many of my own plugs do leak, especially when they are closer to the edges.

It's all about cost, I get it...I hate to spend $25-$30 for repair then mount and balance, and multiple times...

I'm surprised a tire shop plugged it . Nobody around here will . They would rather the $22 patch job . " Liability " and all of that .
I keep a plug kit in the cabinet .

Look... this guy upset the plug lovin' crowd.

So bizarre, yet entertaining on a cromagnon level. Where's my club I can beat on my desk while I'm laughing...

I'm surprised a tire shop plugged it . Nobody around here will . They would rather the $22 patch job . " Liability " and all of that .
I keep a plug kit in the cabinet .
Back in 2007 my car came with run flats and I got ripped off and at the time, paid $390 for a tire protection plan (those shot up to over $1k due to runflats being over $400 back then). I was told "no brainer, you get 1 tire it's worth it." Of course never needed it until after it expired. Well I wasn't going to just spend $400 on a tire because it got a screw in it (tire shops will NOT plug a runflat), so I plugged it and drove another year before replacement. Sometimes cost overrides what people say we must and must not do. I hear on a AWD car one tire needs replacement it needs to be shaved? lol

p.s. on this topic? I somehow felt "pride" or something in knowing my tires were never patched, not damaged, dumb I guess. My wife's set of Premier LTX were never patched when they got replaced. The new set, 1 year in and a screw, so patched. Now that I think of it, it doesn't really matter. But in theory there is more weight and even the part of the mushroom that sticks out into the channel of the tread. It has to infinitesimally affect the performance, in a lab. :D

Best repair is plug and patch. The patch guarantees an air seal. The plug seals the tread. If water gets forced into the steel belt area, the belts can decay from rust.

Back