Tire storage...can I do it myself??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
Just got my summer tires put back on my Ford Focus Wagon, and the prices went up for storage and installation. I have the summer and winter tires on separate rims, and it costed me $60 CDN for the change over ($7.00 for installation, and $7.00 for storage / tire then the taxes of course)
Anyways I got bummed out a bit and I'm wondering if I can do this myself, or is it better to leave it with the pros?
Thanks

If you've got room for them, go for it. It's not a difficult job; it takes about half-an-hour and ranks slightly above shovelling a sidewalk in terms of technical difficulty.
grin.gif

You'll need three tools to do it properly: a jack, torque wrench, and the appropriate socket. I could go on with some instructions if you like.
smile.gif

Is your question about storage, or getting them on and off?

If it's storage, that's something that should be easy. Just find a clean, cool, dry, dark place away from heat and electric motors. Put them in a plastic bag. If they are not inflated, upright storage is OK, but on the side is best (with nothing on top of them)

Spring/fall changeover is free for me at the store I bought my tires from (Discount Tire). I usually have the tires rotated (also free) at that time, too. I store them laying on their side in the garage. Freezing won't hurt them, BTW.

I just changed a set of tires on one car yesterday, so now I proclaim it's officially spring, excluding the folks in the midwest going thru the current winter storm :^)

I try to have the tires changed at the place where we bought them, but the hours typically don't work out so I often end up doing them myself. From what I've seen few people do it and most make time in their schedule. I find that it's good practice for my kids, who I have help out.

is there actually places which will store winter or summer tyres for you and charge you? that seems like insanity to me. not the part about having sumnmer and winter tyres, i can understand that. but its insanity to actually PAY someone to store the tires for you.
just throw the things in the garage untill next season and dont worry about them. they spend 6 months of the year out in the sun, cold, rain, heat, rocks, nails, gravel, etc. even the worst garage or closet has got to be heaven for a tyre that normally sees use under some stinky car running over dead animals and rocks/sticks and potholes.

if you dont have a garage, clean them up real well and put them in a closet, or use as a base for a family room table?

Thanks folks,
So it looks like it not a big deal. I always thought storing tires was the hardest thing to do right. So what should I do? Vertical, horizontal, in plastic bags, not in plastic bags, inflated, deflated, basement (warm), garage (freezing/hot)
All advice is appreciated.
Many thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back