Tire size choice for 2000 Corolla 175/65R14 or 185/65R14

Hello

I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla.

The car currently has 1856514 tires however the sticker in the glovebox says the recommended tire size is 175/65R14.

Its going to be a backup car and not driven much in Lake Tahoe, I won't take it out in nasty weather but may take some short drives with in where there is a small amount of snow.

Should I get 175 or 185 size tires?

Here are the measurements

175/65R14 - Width 6.89, Diameter 22.96, Circumference 72.09
185/65R14 - Width 7.28, Diameter 23.47, Circumference 73.7

The 185 will only give me 1/4 inch more of clearance which is nothing.

Width wise the 185 is .39 inches wider. How much of a difference is this?

Anything else to consider?

I remember the old saying that narrower tires are better in the snow. How about on ice?

Generally, narrower tires are better in snow and on ice because they are more stable and get better linear traction by penetrating the snow. This is not always true though; on hard-pack snow, wider tires with more sipes are better.

ideas?

some additional info... for a given tire there is no price difference, sometimes the same prices sometimes the 185 is a dollar more or a $1 less.

Also the .39 inch width difference is a 6% difference.

Go with the 185, because they're common! You'll be able to get a replacement anywhere if you pop one somewhere down the road.

Do you have the 3-speed automatic? If so, the lack of overdrive would make me want to put a taller tire on.

Go with the 185, because they're common! You'll be able to get a replacement anywhere if you pop one somewhere down the road.

Do you have the 3-speed automatic? If so, the lack of overdrive would make me want to put a taller tire on.
I have the 4 speed automatic.

The 4-speed auto was only offered on the highest model.

Toyota has used different tire sizes like that on Corollas before. So it's possible that the base model uses 175/65-14 while the higher model is 185/65-14. See page 233 of the owner's manual

And if the 185 is more common anyway, there is no reason not to use the 185 size you already have :)

For snow and ice, consider a 3-peak all-season such as the Nokian WRG4, Toyo Celsius, and Vredestein Quatrac 5 (if you're not already using separate winter tires)

The 4-speed auto was only offered on the highest model.

Toyota has used different tire sizes like that on Corollas before. So it's possible that the base model uses 175/65-14 while the higher model is 185/65-14. See page 233 of the owner's manual

And if the 185 is more common anyway, there is no reason not to use the 185 size you already have :)

For snow and ice, consider a 3-peak all-season such as the Nokian WRG4, Toyo Celsius, and Vredestein Quatrac 5 (if you're not already using separate winter tires)
Mine is the CE model. And has the 4 speed automatic

Page 233 of the owners manual lists both the 175 and 185. The factory sticker in the glove box says 175

The wider tire might give a bit more cushion if you get in a slide on snow or ice. Less likely to bend a rim when you touch a curb. Also, the car might react slightly slower with the wider and taller tire on the same rim, reducing the chance of shocking the tire in low grip conditions and losing grip in the first place.

Grinding your way through the snow to get more grip only works if there isn't more snow or ice under there.

Earlier generations started out(base trim line) with 175-65s and optional(LE & higher) w/185-65s. I'm assuming your car is more of a base Corolla?
Trim Lines Were
VE (base)
CE
LE

I have the CE, It how power windows and locks, not sure what else it had over the VE (base model)... I think the VE had a 3 speed automatic transmission, mine the CE is a 4 speed automatic transmission.

Right!
IDK every Corolla trim line for the previous decades but, if your tire placard states that 175-65-14 then this is what your car came with and someone changed them to 185??? OR you had the optional 185s and the placard didn't show this size. But, it should have!

Trim Lines Were
VE (base)
CE
LE

I have the CE, It how power windows and locks, not sure what else it had over the VE (base model)... I think the VE had a 3 speed automatic transmission, mine the CE is a 4 speed automatic transmission.
My CE has 175/65R14’s
My LE has 185/65R14’s
Same size steel rim. I think the 185’s were Options.
Either tire works well.

The 185s would be my pick. Some tire shops - Costco especially won’t deviate from tire placard but they can if it’s an alternate fitment.

Back