OEM tire size or smaller for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you inflate the smaller size tires to the same pressure your contact patch is the same size.

Last edited:
late here, but my vote is smallest OEM tire size. the tire sizes are mentioned in the owner's manual. Something worth reading.

In my case, since my car came with 235/50r18 (I didn't want the 19" wheel/tire combo), the smallest OEM size is 215/65r16.

the 07 Corolla's, the biggest was 205/55r16 (S) and the ones I saw for the other trims had 195/65r15 tires.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
As narrow as is recommended for your car. Works best in snow.
and highest profile too.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
late here, but my vote is smallest OEM tire size. the tire sizes are mentioned in the owner's manual. Something worth reading.

In my case, since my car came with 235/50r18 (I didn't want the 19" wheel/tire combo), the smallest OEM size is 215/65r16.

the 07 Corolla's, the biggest was 205/55r16 (S) and the ones I saw for the other trims had 195/65r15 tires.

Are you talking about tire overall diameter, or section width? The 195/65r15 has a larger OD than the 205/55r15. In general though, I think we're in agreement, the easiest conservative alternative winter tire size is to go with the narrowest section width for the smallest wheel diameter listed in the manual. And if there's a tie with differing aspect ratios, go with the higher aspect ratio to get a larger OD and more sidewall.

Originally Posted By: Piston_slap
Assuming you inflate the smaller size tires to the same pressure your contact patch is the same size.

So many people do not understand this concept. But different tire sizes will change the shape of the contact patch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

So many people do not understand this concept. But different tire sizes will change the shape of the contact patch.

A skinnier, taller tire has more of a chance of acting like a "rudder". And when driving in snow you're mashing down the snow in a 2D cross section... so the narrower the tire, the less energy is being used to either smoosh snow or try to lift the car over it.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

And I will add that tire size also changes the area of the contact patch - BUT - the 2 values are very close - close enough to call them the same size, but in fact the mechanism driving the size is such that they COULD be quite different, but almost always aren't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back