185/65 15 or 195/65 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Enter the tire sizes here to get a good visual on the difference:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Have loved the website for years to get good sizing. I have wider tread, bigger diameter tires now. Bigger diameter tires may not lose MPG, specially if your transmission has too high rpms on freeways. If the wheel wells are big enough, might a 185x70x15 or 195x70x15 tire fit? Get the car up, so the bumper doesn't plow snow. I changed my original 175x65x14 inch tires on my small car, all the way up to 195x65x15 wheels/tires. Ha ha ha! I now have a..... grown up car.

Originally Posted by litesong
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Enter the tire sizes here to get a good visual on the difference:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Have loved the website for years to get good sizing. I have wider tread, bigger diameter tires now. Bigger diameter tires may not lose MPG, specially if your transmission has too high rpms on freeways. If the wheel wells are big enough, might a 185x70x15 or 195x70x15 tire fit? Get the car up, so the bumper doesn't plow snow. I changed my original 175x65x14 inch tires on my small car, all the way up to 195x65x15 wheels/tires. Ha ha ha! I now have a..... grown up car.
Update of this post. Finally, I put 205x65x15 inch tires on our manual 2008 Hyundai Accent. RPMs have dropped a total of 260, compared the the 2980rpms with the original 175x65x14 inch tires. The Accent now handles sweetly & precisely & as stated earlier, feels very grown-up for freeway driving. However, the tires really fill the wheel wells & are close to the mudflaps. Snow chains would not fit these large tires & would destroy the wheel wells. For winter driving, smaller tires/wheels would be needed

Did you adjust your speedometer? If not, how far off is it? And no rubbing? I bet they fill the wheel wells real nice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Did you adjust your speedometer? If not, how far off is it? And no rubbing? I bet they fill the wheel wells real nice!
Didn't adjust the speedometer, which registers 56MPH, tho the true speed is 60MPH. Yer right. No rubbing, even when the front wheels are pointed in any direction. Said somewhere, these used Mastercraft Strategy 205x65x15 inch tires have lots of tread & cost $29 for the two. These tires on the Accent are 6/10s of an inch greater in diameter than the 205x55x16 inch tires that come standard on our considerably larger Hyundai Elantra. AND the over-sized tires that I have put on our Elantra are over 1 inch greater in diameter than the 205x65x15 inch tires I have on the Accent. Between the two cars, I have been traveling for 70,000(?) miles with over-sized tires..... with numerous advantages & no disadvantages.

Last edited:
While I'm an advocate of changing wheel sizes outside of homologated dimensions, just remember that in many countries:
-insurance will try to desist in case of collision
-MOT will not pass if tires are thinner than the thinnest stock mount, or if diameter is exceeding +/- 3% of the smallest/tallest stock mount
-MOT will not pass if tires are reaching out, even slightly, from the wheel well.
-MOT will not pass if load index and speed index are lower than the lowest stock dimension

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Superflan
-insurance will try to desist in case of collision.....
First, reducing too high rpms of 3000 at 60MPG, by 260rpms, can NOT be considered unsafe. Second, my cars handle & brake better than my stock tires ever did, & can NOT be considered unsafe. Third, I save thousands of dollars & that can NOT be considered unsafe. Please keep talking so I will have no competition buying used over-sized tires from Craigslist. 1) Two sweet alloy wheels with mounted & balanced tires ($60). 2) Three sweeter alloy wheels w/mounted & balanced tires($50). 3) Four tires, including Cooper & Michelin($50). 4) Six well-treaded tires (free). As long as Americans have excellent tires in their garages, I'll buy them. Yep! I use tires that would otherwise be in tire dumps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Superflan
While I'm an advocate of changing wheel sizes outside of homologated dimensions, just remember that in many countries:
-insurance will try to desist in case of collision
-MOT will not pass if tires are thinner than the thinnest stock mount, or if diameter is exceeding +/- 3% of the smallest/tallest stock mount
-MOT will not pass if tires are reaching out, even slightly, from the wheel well.
-MOT will not pass if load index and speed index are lower than the lowest stock dimension

According to OP's location, he's in the USA. Absolutely none of that applies to him. In most areas of the US, there aren't even the most bare bones of emissions inspections, let alone any other type where they actually look at stuff. Especially when you consider things like this are technically legal
wink.gif

3570D52F-C6CF-4D60-BC7B-9B61D872170A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back