Tire rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know your supposed to rotate your tires at say 10k miles or whatever manufacturer recommends. But I don't often do it on time and haven't noticed much irregular wear. I switched to snows this year in Dec then rotate all seasons when put back on in spring, but they had 2+ winters. Currently car has Cooper CS3 p235 55r17 iirc, and only rotated them once. These tires have over 40k miles and still have good tread on all of them fronts maybe a little less, gonna measure today probably.
How long should these tires last? I was thinking about getting new set as these must be 3+ years old but idk

Rotating tires is done as a way to even out wear between the tires, so that you can wear out the whole set at the same time.

How far you can drive on a particular set of tires depends on a large number of variables......How hard you drive, what road conditions, asphalt or concrete type, how well is the car aligned, have the tires been rotated so wear is even......So no definitive answer is available.

A good rule of thumb is that tires with a manufacture date over 5 years old are no longer in prime condition, based on age alone.

I go every 5,000mi on half ton pickups because they seem to have the most unusual wear, especially if they are not loaded most of the time. Fronts love to wear on the outside and rears wear in the center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back