Tire Rotation (Uni) How often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I purchased the Avon 550 A/S unidirectional tires about 4400 miles ago. I'm accustomed to going to my local tire hut and getting them rotated after I do the oil change (every 5k). Since I only have to move the front to the back and vice versa on each side, I'll be doing this maintenance myself.

How often do I rotate them? How often do I have them rebalanced?

Lets see, correct me if I am wrong but the 2002 Maxima is a front engine REAR drive vehicle? So it has roughly what 52/48 front to rear balance? That being true, then 10,000 per (or more) is pretty good.

I have a Jetta which is a front engine front wheel drive vehicle with app 60/40 static weight and up to 80/20 transients and it recommends 10k tire rotation intervals. This is what the OEM recommends also

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
Lets see, correct me if I am wrong but the 2002 Maxima is a front engine REAR drive vehicle? So it has roughly what 52/48 front to rear balance? That being true, then 10,000 per (or more) is pretty good.

I have a Jetta which is a front engine front wheel drive vehicle with app 60/40 static weight and up to 80/20 transients and it recommends 10k tire rotation intervals. This is what the OEM recommends also

Negative. The Maxima is FWD. My dad used to have an 80 something year model Maxima, which still had a Datsun emblem on it lol. It was RWD IIRC, and had a strait 6. Not like that SMOOTH V6 in there now *drool*. But, they've been FWD for the longest as far as I know..

Purchase your tires at America's
Tire and the rotation and balance is free for life or pay a one time fee of Sixty dollars.You may get rotation only for free any time,no matter where the tires were purchased.
Now that's hard to beat and they are located all over the USA.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:

Negative. The Maxima is FWD. My dad used to have an 80 something year model Maxima, which still had a Datsun emblem on it lol. It was RWD IIRC, and had a strait 6. Not like that SMOOTH V6 in there now *drool*. But, they've been FWD for the longest as far as I know..

OK, with the correction it would be pretty much the same as the Jetta, given the more 60/40 static weight balance, again with transients up to 80/20. So 10,000 mile intervals.

I am guessing the logic is fairly similar.

You could do either interval, I'd probably do 5,000 miles myself but it wouldn't really matter. What is more important is whatever you pick you are consistent with it because if you go 5,000 once and then 10,000 and go back to 5,000 then one tire will have 5,000 miles more wear in that specific location than the other one.

In short: Pick something and stick with it. If you are able to do it every 5,000 miles go for it, but 10,000 miles is probably all that is really necessary. Tire wear doesn't have to be completely exact.

haha, if your tires wear to 10k miles that works.
grin.gif
I rotate twice during an oil change period (which i do 3k). So 1500 miles. Of course with 160AA A rated tires, they wear a bit quickly, and the cornering wear on the fronts is what kills me.

p.s. it's amazing how smooth the new maximas are (wewt FWD!) Isn't it wild how far engine technology has come? After all, inline sixes are inherently balanced, whereas v6's are not.

Interesting side note:

When I track my car at TWS I get even wear, but at MSR i get primarily passenger side wear, so after 1/2 a day at MSR I swap the tires left/right to even out the wear.

Total milage 50 left: 50 right.....not K miles, miles!

The (directional) tires are directional--but only in wet conditions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back