Not open for further replies.
*Tires: T speed rated General AltiMAX RT43/75,000 mile rated
*Vehicle: 2001 Lexus RX-300 AWD
*Previous Tires: G/Y ACT's in OE Size
*Tire Size: 225-70-16
*Tire PSI Place Card: F:30/R:30. I am running F:33/R:31
*Vehicle Weight: 3915 lbs.
*Miles on tires: Still new with about 1500+ miles
*Driving Style: Mostly around town/rural w/highway runs daily and weekends, 4 hr trips from NY-PA & back
*Suspension is all OE(struts/springs, tie rods/ball joints/control arms etc.) No Alignment but, will do soon!
*Sept'14 NY State Inspection. All parts are good! NY State is very tough on inspections.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

First what I noticed with the RT43 is their smooth/quiet operation. No Quieter than the previous tires but, nice in this category. Balance is right on and it feels like the steering is a bit firmer with a nice on center feel.

Second is the road absorption over broken pavement and small ruts. Large manhole covers, railroad tracks and dips is all suspension dependent. The tires have little/no reflection on this as the buoyancy has not changed.

There is no wander or veer in one direction of the other and no radial pull from the tires thus far. Though the RX can veer/wander toward the shoulder of the road as part of it's "nature of the beast"! We'll see if there is any issues at the first tire rotation as veering, pulling can occur at this point!

Third what I noticed is the normal turning down another street. It's a bit crisper though, handling is what it is in the RX's softish suspension. Going around large bends when entering a highway, the grip of the tires is quite nice though, I don't push the RX that hard.

Next, while driving from NY to PA during last weekends crosswinds(the RX is a brick in the wind), the RX is more resistant to these crosswinds than with the previous tires(G/Y ACT's) or the OE Integrity's. So this alone is a nice surprise. The hiwy tracking is also much better in keeping the RX in a straight line. And the smoother speeds achieved should help in the hiwy MPG...I hope!

MPG thus far around town has increased slightly since the install in September'14. Both on the RX's dash screen and with the handheld calculator. Another nice surprise though small!
smile.gif

Driving around town where the roads can vary from broken pavement/ruts and hills/dips, the RX now reacts much better than even the previous G/Y ACTs...a tire in which I did like! Reacts meaning that, I/we take these roads daily and our body and steering feel, we know how the vehicle reacted in certain situations and one gets used to that feeling of the road. I can't explain further!

Driving through the downpour of the Autumn rains, the RT43's go about their business without fuss. Even on the highway at hiwy speeds and beyond, the tires resistance to hydroplaning is very good and no white knuckling is experienced. ATMOF, I only slowed down from 80 mph to about 65-70 mph and slower when I couldn't see well. Good wipers & glass treatment helped
laugh.gif

We'll see how well the RT43's do during the upcoming winter as the G/Y ACT's were very, very good and a bench mark for me on this vehicle. The OE Integ's SUCKED in the winter!

On the negative side:

When the tires have sat overnight, when starting out for the first mile or so, there is a very mild thumping(my Pirelli P4's do this too). It's not objectionable but, just noticeable and goes away quickly. And since it's, "Thumping X 4", it's not too bad, IMHO! My wife doesn't even notice it at all. A good thing since she didn't even want($PEND) new tires!
laugh.gif

Other than that, the RT43's are a nice tire at a really good price and everything else remains to be seen. Especially when it comes to longevity and degradation over time. Some tires are rated for 80,000 miles but turn sour by 35K. We'll see!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review mighty "tire whisperer" (that's a compliment). I, on the other hand can rarely detect any differences when I install new tires, brakes, etc..

These tires are relatively inexpensive and I hope all the good reviews don't prompt General to raise the prices. They are my next go to tire as soon as I can wear out my poopy OEM Goodyears.

Thanks for the compliment
laugh.gif

OOPS! Maybe I should delete this review!
smirk.gif

I think that the TR Testing and Customer Reviews will have more impact on the price increase than my review!

I have seen the Hankook Optimo H727s tires rise in price since I/we purchased them in 2010. Kumho though, has held it's prices on most sizes that I would use/search on!

Last edited:
I have the H-rated RT43s on the Volvo XC in the OE (215/65R16) size. Very good tires at a great price point. I would recommend them as well...though, I am not nearly as observant or conversant about tires as Char Baby...

Good to know that H-rated ones are available. I'll keep them in mind when I need tires for my daughter car. She drives it like a gocart and eats through tires in no time.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Good to know that H-rated ones are available. I'll keep them in mind when I need tires for my daughter car. She drives it like a gocart and eats through tires in no time.
\

H/V rated ones(size dependant) are available through tirerack

T rated are available almost anywhere

DTD had my size 225/60r17 for 330$ shipped in early october.

Thanks for the detailed review, The GY tires are great in the winter for an all season, I doubt you will have much if any dropoff to the RT43.. maybe a small amount in 6" snow.

I have a set of these on my Jetta. After 25k miles, I like them a lot. Very good in wet and snow conditions. Wear seems to be reasonable as well.

I almost got these for my Equinox but ended up going with the Hankook H727s. While the Hankooks are very quiet, I wish I went with a more balanced tire like the generals.

For those who have a lot of miles on their RT43s, can you please take a picture of the tread so those of us considering these can see how they wear and what siping may go away as they wear down?

They look to hold most of their sipes as the tread wears (which is a good thing).

Just put a set of these on the Olds a few weeks ago. Not enough miles on them yet to comment on anything, but I have not really read a bad review on them.

These are one of the top contenders to replace my Primacy MXV4 on the Subaru, which will be replaced due to age before wear (as the bloody things just aren't wearing down, still at 7/32 with over 55,000 miles).

Well right now, the TR Test, good value and positive reviews is what sold me on these RT43's. Though I did like the G/Y ACT's, their cost(even with G/Y's $80 rebate & Free shipping) was still more than I want to spend on a 14 year old vehicle.

I also got Free Shipping and several other discounts with the RT43's making them an even better value than just their price alone.

I also bought a set of these, but not enough miles yet to say too much other than they needed little weight when balanced and are actually ROUND-(that should be a given with a new tire, but isn't it seems) -they behave just fine in dry/wet and with winter approaching will have another challenge soon.

I am getting either these tires or the Cooper CS5...it sounds like the Coopers would be a little better in the snow...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I am getting either these tires or the Cooper CS5...it sounds like the Coopers would be a little better in the snow...

Are there a lot snow reviews out there for the CS5s (Grand or Ultra)? I've seen a lot that are saying the CS5s should perform well in the snow but haven't seen as many reviews from people that have actually driven on CS5s through the winter.

The CS5's may be a better performing tire in a side-by-side comparison. Seems like a good tire. I have the CS4's also for summer use only on my Altima. They're nice!

the cs5 has almost no tread voids how would that be better in the snow?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Originally Posted By: grampi

Are there a lot snow reviews out there for the CS5s (Grand or Ultra)? I've seen a lot that are saying the CS5s should perform well in the snow but haven't seen as many reviews from people that have actually driven on CS5s through the winter.
Originally Posted By: Rand

Not sure who you're asking?
smile.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3522328/Re:_Best_low_priced_all_season#Post3522328

It doesn't seem accurate to say they have "almost no tread voids."

It depends which one you're talking about, but the CS5 Grand Touring has lots of sipes and voids between the tread blocks. The CS5 Ultra Touring has fewer, but I still wouldn't classify it as having "almost no tread voids."

CS5GrandTouring_LgTread.png

CS5UltraTouring_LgTread.png

I have been in communication with Char as I have bought a set of these as well for a Nissan Rogue in 225-65-16 H rated. I am happy with these tires. I was required to get H rated unless I wanted to take my wheels off and bring them in. These seemed like the best bang for the buck based on TR and all the reviews. I am happy with them. They take bumps and expansion joints much better than the stock continentals and are much quieter. The noise does seem like it has increased a little since I bought them but still quieter than the stock tires. I would definitely recommend them and would buy them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back