Tire recommendations for the Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I put on new tires yesterday. I really wanted to get the MS/2's but the only tire shop that carries Michelin tires that I was willing to use didn't have any in stock at 3 different locations. The had the E load range but I didn't want those.

So, I decided to go to Hibdon Tires Plus since they had a $100 off coupon. I was torn between the Destination LE and the AT especially since I knew she didn't really need the AT. At the end of the day I went with the Destination AT's.

My reasoning was that I've absolutely loved them on my truck and the wearing is even and superb. They will definitely make it past 50K. I know they do great in the rain and if we get snow she'll be alright. The ride home yesterday and driving today was great. The AT's are not loud at all in the cab.

After my coupon, 4 wheel alignment, and mounting and balancing the Destination AT's I made it out right at $700 for the 265/70/17 so I was pleased. The Michelins were going to cost $1200+.

Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
Well I put on new tires yesterday. I really wanted to get the MS/2's but the only tire shop that carries Michelin tires that I was willing to use didn't have any in stock at 3 different locations. The had the E load range but I didn't want those.

So, I decided to go to Hibdon Tires Plus since they had a $100 off coupon. I was torn between the Destination LE and the AT especially since I knew she didn't really need the AT. At the end of the day I went with the Destination AT's.

My reasoning was that I've absolutely loved them on my truck and the wearing is even and superb. They will definitely make it past 50K. I know they do great in the rain and if we get snow she'll be alright. The ride home yesterday and driving today was great. The AT's are not loud at all in the cab.

After my coupon, 4 wheel alignment, and mounting and balancing the Destination AT's I made it out right at $700 for the 265/70/17 so I was pleased. The Michelins were going to cost $1200+.

Ouch. No offense but you could get FAR better prices on those Michelins. I sure hope they didn't get you on the D/AT's.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Ouch. No offense but you could get FAR better prices on those Michelins. I sure hope they didn't get you on the D/AT's.

How much cheaper are you thinking. Cheapest I can can 4 of the MS/2's on TireRack shipped to the house is $860. Then they are going to charge $15 a tire to mount/balance so now I'm up to $920, then factor in an alignment for $70 so I' up to $990, then tax brings me to $1080.

$1080 is the absolute best deal I could have gotten if I bought from TireRack, but none of the shops would even match the TireRack price after shipping. What are you buying them for?

Also, what to you mean buy I hope they didn't get you on the D/AT's? I chose that tire because it's more than proven it self the last two years on my Silverado.

Last update, just filled up the truck.

Silverado
365 miles/ 23.4 gallons = 15.6 MPG

I think there is definitely a significant decrease in MPG with the heavier setup.

Richard, didn't mean to upset you, but we paid under 700 bucks delivered a few months ago for 4 265/70/17 Michelin LTX MS2's delivered. Tire kingdom charges me 12.00 per wheel to mount and balance them.

Tire prices have gone up since, but my concern was if they charged so much for Michelin they may have overcharged you for the other tires as well.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Richard, didn't mean to upset you, but we paid under 700 bucks delivered a few months ago for 4 265/70/17 Michelin LTX MS2's delivered. Tire kingdom charges me 12.00 per wheel to mount and balance them.

Tire prices have gone up since, but my concern was if they charged so much for Michelin they may have overcharged you for the other tires as well.

You didn't upset me, just curious how cheap they could be had for?
smile.gif
I'd say you got an awesome deal!

I read what I wrote again, it sounded like I was upset but I wasn't. I guess that's the problem on forums it's hard to detect emotion just reading text. Should have posted a smiley when I wrote it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Well, when you need 'em, you need 'em. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the D/AT's as well.

BTW, your mileage numbers are right in line with my experience on several fleet Silverados.

You should have checked out the Cooper AT/3's ive had them on the truck a week now, they are no louder than a p-metric tire,(i cant hear them at all) and the ratings are outstanding on them.. im very pleased thus far. My first set of D A/T's were sold with that truck with maybee 10,000 miles on them and looked to be wearing like iron, my second set of D A/T's on my current truck were looking about 1/3 used up at 10,000 miles.. i wasnt pleased.. thats one of the things i like about the Coopers 55,000 mile warranty.. I wish you the best of luck with the destination, i realy liked my first set.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
You should have checked out the Cooper AT/3's ive had them on the truck a week now, they are no louder than a p-metric tire,(i cant hear them at all) and the ratings are outstanding on them.. im very pleased thus far. My first set of D A/T's were sold with that truck with maybee 10,000 miles on them and looked to be wearing like iron, my second set of D A/T's on my current truck were looking about 1/3 used up at 10,000 miles.. i wasnt pleased.. thats one of the things i like about the Coopers 55,000 mile warranty.. I wish you the best of luck with the destination, i realy liked my first set.

After my experience with D A/T's I'll be buying a 3rd set (2nd Set for my truck) this fall.

The previous set of tires I had on the truck were Cooper Tires. I can't remember the name now and don't see them on the website, but I think the were ATR's? Those tires ended up only lasting 36K before they were down to the wear bars. Maybe I got a bad set because they were highly recommended from 2 friends. Ended up having 1 tire out of round. Replaced all my shocks thinking that was the problem before the tire shop actually told me.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Destination ATs are a great tire, but probably not in this case. I'd suggest as highway AS tire. They will provide the best MPG. ATs do look better. Michelin M/S2 or Lattitude Tour, General Grabber HTS would all fit the bill nicely.

Richard,
I would have suggested the Michelin LTX(almost can't fo wrong with Michelin's), Destination LE's(always a solid performer) or the Grabber HTS(a "new" and high rated Truck/SUV tire) which may feature LRR as well. But, if your having thoughts of 18" of snow in your mind all of the time, you have to do what you have to do for your family...Get the AT's! The AT's seem to work well for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

After my experience with D A/T's I'll be buying a 3rd set (2nd Set for my truck) this fall.

The previous set of tires I had on the truck were Cooper Tires. I can't remember the name now and don't see them on the website, but I think the were ATR's? Those tires ended up only lasting 36K before they were down to the wear bars. Maybe I got a bad set because they were highly recommended from 2 friends. Ended up having 1 tire out of round. Replaced all my shocks thinking that was the problem before the tire shop actually told me.

WOW, that stinks, thats the thing about that black and whitepaper.. warranty.. (assuming they stand behind it) I paid a extra $10 per tire for it, as long as propper rotations are done, and i will always go to the shop i got them from for rotations, I should be in great shape. Sorry to hear about your experience.. tires arent getting any cheaper.. horror stories are unaceptable at the prices we are all paying now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back