Tire recommendations for the Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so several of you have seen my thread about the Tahoe MPG with 20's and 17's. I'll still test out the MPG difference between wheels but I'm pretty positive the 17's are going on which means I'll need new tires.

265/70/17
This is the size tire I'm looking for. I may have overestimated my wife's annual mileage in the last thread. Instead of 28K a year it's more like 21K a year. All of that is 85-90% highway driving to work and 10-15% is city. I live in OK so the summers get up to 110 and the winters can get down in the single digits. She won't be taking the Tahoe off road but last year we had record snow falls with terrible road crews to clear it off so I do want something that will do well in the snow.

I plan on buying Firestone Destination ATs which is what have on my truck. I've got 50K on those currently with even wear and 7/32 of tread left. Plus, they are awesome in the rain, snow and mud.

But, since she drives mostly highway she may be able to get buy with a Highway All Season tire so I'm looking for other suggestions. Price is not an option, when it comes to wife and kiddo I will stress for a week or so on TireRack reading reviews so I want the best tires possible. Considering the Michelin LTX MS/2 right now unless you can recommend others. I had the Yoko Parada Spec-X on the previous CX-9 but I thought those were wearing faster than they should but otherwise a great tire.

I have (and love) the BFG AT TA KO on my truck - but they were chosen for off-roading, so would not be approriate for your application.

My brother keeps getting 80-90K out of the Firestones on his Silverado in driving much like your wife's - they would be a great choice for you.

Last edited:
Destination ATs are a great tire, but probably not in this case. I'd suggest as highway AS tire. They will provide the best MPG. ATs do look better. Michelin M/S2 or Lattitude Tour, General Grabber HTS would all fit the bill nicely.

I hear good things about the Firestone Destination A/T.

I have Bridgestone Dueler Revos on my truck and have been highly impressed with them.

Okay, I see the MS/2 is recommended a lot but do any of you have any experience with them in the snow? How did they do in heavy rains and did you have any trouble fearing hydroplaning?

I know the Dest. AT is an all terrain which she won't need but I'm having a hard time going away from it. It got me through the OK blizzards when the snow was 18" deep, in fact I was one of only 2 of the neighbors that was actually able to get out of the neighborhood (2 days couped up inside was a much as I could take) As far as rain goes I've never had a tire perform so well and don't recall the tires ever show signs of hydroplaning.

Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
Okay, I see the MS/2 is recommended a lot but do any of you have any experience with them in the snow? How did they do in heavy rains and did you have any trouble fearing hydroplaning?

I know the Dest. AT is an all terrain which she won't need but I'm having a hard time going away from it. It got me through the OK blizzards when the snow was 18" deep, in fact I was one of only 2 of the neighbors that was actually able to get out of the neighborhood (2 days couped up inside was a much as I could take) As far as rain goes I've never had a tire perform so well and don't recall the tires ever show signs of hydroplaning.

I live in Ontario dude, we probably get more snow in a week than you get all winter.
grin.gif

My dad used the MS2's last winter in New Brunswick. He said they were exceptional.

They also work VERY well in rain. I've never had them hydroplane.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: RichardSenn

I live in Ontario dude, we probably get more snow in a week than you get all winter.
grin.gif

My dad used the MS2's last winter in New Brunswick. He said they were exceptional.

They also work VERY well in rain. I've never had them hydroplane.

Yeah, I just noticed your location and that's good to know they do good in the snow. Are you not required to have dedicated snow tires up there?

As far as snow we definitely don't get anywhere near what you do. The only problem we have is that we we do get hit hard we don't have the road crews to handle it.

I guess my biggest worry with Michelin is I fear I'm paying extra for the "name" and when I read a lot of reviews on TireRack most people have 1000 miles or less and of course love them but really have no experience with them. Just wonder how much there first and only comment on TireRack is because "oh, I just got Michelins, they're the most expensive so they are automatically the best."

We've had three sets on my parent's Expedition, two sets on my old Explorer and we are on our first set on our Expedition, because it came with Goodyears on it.

I have a fair bit of experience with this tire in adverse conditions and can say that it does perform exceptionally well.

We've had three sets on my parent's Expedition, two sets on my old Explorer and we are on our first set on our Expedition, because it came with Goodyears on it.

I have a fair bit of experience with this tire in adverse conditions and can say that it does perform exceptionally well.

Last question for you. Are you buying the E rated load range for your vehicles?

No, our vehicles all spec'd P-rated tires. P265/75R17's.

Okay great I figured that was the case.

I only buy load range E for all my trucks and full size SUVs. My bro had P rated tires on a Suburban and it is just a wimpy feeling ride, can't take any terrain other than pavement, and can't handle loads either. Moved up to Load range E real truck tire and made a world of difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I only buy load range E for all my trucks and full size SUVs. My bro had P rated tires on a Suburban and it is just a wimpy feeling ride, can't take any terrain other than pavement, and can't handle loads either. Moved up to Load range E real truck tire and made a world of difference.

Except the ride then ends up in "Lumber Wagon" territory. This is for a Tahoe that his wife is driving, I had load range E's on my F-250 and they were like hockey pucks.

They may be stiffer but the LTX still does NOT ride like a hockey puck even at 80 psi.

The regular 113t LTX MS2 265/70/17 is only 500 pounds LESS load rating than the E rated tires at 44 psi max inflation! Not really that much diff.

Last edited:
Sounds like Destination HTs are exactly what you are looking for. They are similar to the Destination ATs, but with an all season highway tread. I had them for 45K miles on my Ranger before I got ATs. I only got rid of them because I wanted a tire better suited to light off road use, they still had some life left. They were quiet, wore consistently, and actually had better traction on wet pavement than the ATs

* The Destination HT is now called the LE apparently...
fs_destination_le_owl_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back