Tire recommendations for a car newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I just had my car inspected, it passed but they said tires will need to be replaced soon. I looked and they were right.

I'm new to owning a car. I bought a 2016 Ford fusion two years ago. I've had my Jeep for the past 8 years.

I know nothing about good car tires. I think since I live in PA, I'd like a decent all-weather tire? Something that handles good in rain and decent in snow. My Jeep will be the primary snow pig so I'm not going to bother with proper winter tires. More like, there was an unexpected snow while I was at work, maybe an inch or two on the road and my fwd Fusion will be just fine in getting me home with smart driving, kind of tire.

My goal is to have the same set of tires on year round. No winter/summer tires.

Thank you!

What is your tire size?
smile.gif

Consider a 3-peak all-season tire such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Goodyear Weatherready
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4
Kumho Solus HA31

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
What is your tire size?
smile.gif

Consider a 3-peak all-season tire such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Goodyear Weatherready
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4
Kumho Solus HA31

235/50/17

I just looked on tirerack and the Goodyear Weatherready was one of highest rated tires for all season. I may just go with those and make it simple!

Goodyear has QC issues. I tend to steer clear of them.

I'd recommend Yokohama Avid Ascend LX. Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. Continental Pure Contact LS.

Any of those tires are more than capable of what you are asking.

My General AltiMax RT43's did great in an inch or so of snow on my RWD 300, I did a little review of them not too long ago here. They're also phenomenal in rain and dry weather.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Goodyear has QC issues. I tend to steer clear of them.

I'd recommend Yokohama Avid Ascend LX. Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. Continental Pure Contact LS.

Any of those tires are more than capable of what you are asking.

Interesting. The Yokohomas you suggested are also one of the highest rated

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
I'm new to owning a car. I bought a 2016 Ford fusion two years ago. I've had my Jeep for the past 8 years.

8 years is new?

Reading comprehension isn't your thing, is it?

8 years is new?

crackmeup2.gif

You have 3 different Michelins to pick from. Although many on this forum don't think much of Michelin. If they have my size, I don't look any further.

When they don't make the guaranteed mileage, I just take the discount I get from Michelin and buy another set. My last set of Michelins were discounted
33%. Not too shabby. They had a 60K mileage guarantee but only lasted 40K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo

8 years is new?

crackmeup2.gif

Did I miss something?

You have 3 different Michelins to pick from. Although many on this forum don't think much of Michelin. If they have my size, I don't look any further.

When they don't make the guaranteed mileage, I just take the discount I get from Michelin and buy another set. My last set of Michelins were discounted

At this point, I think I'm going to get the Yokohoma Avid Ascend LX.

Also, I'm not too familiar with car tread life span - how long can I expect a typical all-season standard touring car tire to last me?

That's going to strictly be up to your driving standards and road conditions. Here in Arkansastan, I can't get more than 40k out of a set, with religious rotations. If your a strictly interstate driver, you could get 60,70,80 out of a pair. Hills or curves on two lane roads, forget it.

Also, I'm not too familiar with car tread life span - how long can I expect a typical all-season standard touring car tire to last me?

Depends on how you drive. Country roads and city driving eat tires. Good tires on cars seem to last longer than if it was a truck. I would expect that Yokohama to do at least 65-75K. It does have a 85k warranty iirc.

Good choice too, I'm a big Yokohama fan. They make good tires.

Years ago I had a set of Yoko Avid Touring's on my MK5 Jetta and I'll say it did really well in the snow (over RT30 mountain at that, I know you know how bad that can get), even with ice mixed in. Looks like the Ascend is an updated version, so you can probably use them without too much issue. Not fond of their truck tires, but I was happy with the all season car tires.

I second the recommendation of the General RT43's. General has returned to producing some pretty good tires under Continentals ownership. A lot of bang for the buck. They do well in many comparison tests with higher priced (not necessarily better) tires.

Originally Posted by Eddie
General AltiMax RT43 in H rating is a great tire is rain and dry. I can't address snow performance. Ed

I can. As in my previous couple of posts when this has came up-we had nine inches of snow, I was across town with rain/slush/ice and they handled much better than I anticipated.

And reviews also echo decent (for an all-season) snow traction.

For all weather, I tend to gravitate towards Michelin/Uniroyal, Continental/General, or Pirelli. I've always been happy with any of those brand tires for decent all weather wet/dry conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back