Any cars come with GOOD tires from factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda, Mercedes, BMW, and lately Ford and Lexus have been using Michelin on select models. Toyota STILL hasen't got the memo about cheap/bad tires, they're equipping the Siennas with Firestone FR710s, and slapping Bridgestone Turanza EL400 or some Dunlops on the mainstream Toyota line.

Our Prius came with horrible Goodyear Integrity as OEM. They were a little better than some horrid Dunlop SP Sport 4000 A/S on one of our vans.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Toyota STILL hasen't got the memo about cheap/bad tires, they're equipping the Siennas with Firestone FR710s, and slapping Bridgestone Turanza EL400 or some Dunlops on the mainstream Toyota line.

Premium trim Siennas get Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, but you are correct that the lower trims get the Firestones. Many Camrys and Avalons also come with Michelins. Otherwise, I agree with you though. Toyota seems to love bargain-basement Bridgestone Duelers or Bridgestone Turanzas.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Russell
Most German cars come with decent tires. However runflats on BMWs are a poor decision from the driver/owners point of view. it was done to eliminate the spare and gain trunk space. Poor trade-off.

Says who? I may drive spirited, but with 300hp, Im not going to really put pedal to the metal too severely, and Im not into tracking.

I get my battery in a far more convenient spot than in the E9x, and still have peace of mind about running without a spare.

Not too bad of a tradeoff for a daily driver.
to each their own. Still the ride is poor

Last edited:
I sure don't get the run flat thing at all.

Many run flat owners have complained due to the tire being shot if you drive on it without air! So you still ruin the tire but you get to drive home?

My car shipped without a spare, the battery is where it should be (right rear of the trunk under a panel), and I have only been stranded once in almost 7 years.

A can of fix-a-flat works wonders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

What would the dealer do with them?

If it was a popular size... I guess they could slap them on a trade-in that they plan on re-selling.

Slap on a trade that needed new tires, or replace a damaged tire on a demo or service loaner. They could also sell them as take-offs from a new vehicle, as I'm sure someone will buy them at the right price.

My Accord came with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, good wear (20k miles so far) quiet and relatively good wet performance. Of course I'll not be buying them as replacement, $285 each on Tire Rack is too rich for my blood.

My '87 IROC-Z came with Goodyear Eagle "Gatorbacks" as OEM. The only complaint I have is they don't last very long.

The first set lasted ~42k miles which is crazy. They typically wear out in under 20k. I'm only on my second set which need to be replaced NOW. I wish they still made them, but I really can't afford +$200 a tire (1990's price).

My only other complaint has more to do with not being able to swap the wheels around to rotate them. Because the tires are directional and the car has front/rear specific wheels, tire rotation is a dismount-mount-rebalance affair.

So far I'm not unimpressed with the cheap Firestone FR710s on the cruze. They ride smoothly and quietly, they are okay in the wet, and though they don't have the most grip on on ramps as some others, they aren't horrible. They aren't nearly as bad as the Hankook H725s on the nox any way.

2000 MB E430 came with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D1, 2004 Honda S2000 came with Brigestone Potenza RE050. These 2 tires were very good in their time, 8-12 years ago.

Both of my Isuzu rodeo's came with good tires from the factory, but not all models or years did.

my 91 came with Goodyear's original wrangler A/T, was actually a very good tire that lasted a long time, with excellent traction

my 97 came with BFG long-trail's which were a fantastic highway, rain tire that actually did extremely well in the snow and ice, they lasted for 70k miles

My 3/4T truck came with MICHELIN LTX A/S in Load Range E. First set wore down to 4/32's at 120k and were replaced with same. This first replacement set may -- at present rate of wear -- go until 250k before the second set is due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back