Tire Recommendation for ES350 Grocery Getter

What’s wrong with Costco? Though TireRack didn’t like the wet performance of the Michelin defender 2
Costco is great for pricematching, but it takes weeks to get an appointment.

Plus the ones around here really struggle with wheel balancing.

Walmart Pirelli P4's on rollback for $119, do a price match. Also the Nokian One for $113 with excellent reviews.

Costco is great for pricematching, but it takes weeks to get an appointment.
Even with an appointment made days in advance - they still screw up...Tires for my wife's Honda were purchased thru their online store and appointment made at the nearby Costco...Got to my appointment 15 minutes early...After wandering around the store for 90 minutes - I went to see what progress was made...They hadn't started working on my wife's car!

Went to the customer service desk to get a refund - the looks of confusion on their faces...

I have great experience with Pirelli P7 AS 2+ (a new version, the P7 AS 3+, has come out since i bought the tires), the ride is smooth and more importantly, tread noise is quite low. You can also look at alternatives like General Altimax RT 45, or if your budget allows, top-shelve choices like Michelin Primacy Tour AS (successor to the MXM4, which is likely OEM for your 2013 ES350 way back when) or the Continental PureContact LS.

View attachment 144983

MIL’s 13 ES350 (215/55-17) will need new tires in the next 5-10K miles.

The current set of Michelin Premier A/S have been in-service for 5 years and 28K. They are between 4/32” and 4.5/32” remaining - rotated every 5K.

Service life really isn’t a concern. I prefer to replace tires every 5-6 years and she will only drive 30-35K during this timespan. Wet traction and ride quality are the main focus.

Cost isn’t a concern since I will likely receive a generous prorate credit on the current set.
Wait for 3/32 and get a prorate. The warranty period is 6 years, I think. 2 Replacement choices Defender..... less mpg, longer life, stiffer ride or Energy Saver A/S....better mpg, shorter life , softer ride. .02

Wait for 3/32 and get a prorate. The warranty period is 6 years, I think. 2 Replacement choices Defender..... less mpg, longer life, stiffer ride or Energy Saver A/S....better mpg, shorter life , softer ride. .02
It will be 6 years pretty soon....which is when the pro-rate warranty expires. Not sure if I'll wear all 4 down to 3/32 by then.

It will be 6 years pretty soon....which is when the pro-rate warranty expires. Not sure if I'll wear all 4 down to 3/32 by then.
Check the date precisely and plan a 1/32 trip. P. S. the pro rate applies only when replacing with the same brand of tire

Last edited:
General Altimax RT43. Have had them on a RX350 and Forester. Did very well at whatever was thrown their way.

General Altimax RT43. Have had them on a RX350 and Forester. Did very well at whatever was thrown their way.
They seem expensive for the performance they deliver. More expensive than Defenders when on sale?

They seem expensive for the performance they deliver. More expensive than Defenders when on sale?
General are usually a bargain compared to Michelin especially when rebates are offered.

I’ve had good luck with the GMax AS05 which are more performance oriented but offer less tread life. I’ve had good service out of them on a Q50. Some years ago I’ve also liked Cooper CS5 tires which served me well.

Back