Tire Recommendation for 2017 CR-V 1.5T

Looking for a tire recommendation for a 2017 CR-V 1.5T.

Size: 235/60-18
Speed Rating: Must be H-rated or higher.
Load Index: 103 or higher.

Preferences:

1) Passenger Car Touring or Crossover-specific tire.
2) Tire must be available and a normally in-stock tire at either Costco or America's Tire Company.

The original Hankooks are measuring between 4/32" - 5/32" after 28k miles. Tires are rotated at every oil change (9-10K interval). Longer life would be nice.

So far, the best option I can find is the Michelin Defender T+H.

KUMHO CRUGEN KL33 at America's Tire.
They often make great wholesale deals with Kumho. I got some Kumhos a while back from them, great tire, good engineering, good price.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
They often make great wholesale deals with Kumho. I got some Kumhos a while back from them, great tire, good engineering, good price.

AT's website is showing 3-5 days out and $160/tire - I think the more expensive of the two is the new Crugen Premium, which received very high marks from CR in this month's test.

I think AT's Yokohama YK740 is a rebrand of the new Avid Ascend GT. Looks like they may be a viable option as well:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237

Originally Posted by The Critic

AT's website is showing 3-5 days out and $160/tire -
Huh? They are $118 in the Mountain View, CA area anyway. 235/60-18 size.

AT's website is showing 3-5 days out and $160/tire -
Huh? They are $118 in the Mountain View, CA area anyway. 235/60-18 size.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/kumho-crugen-kl33/p/39060

What does Pirelli offer in this size?
I'm very happy with the P4+ tires I put on the '12 Accord.
Much less costly than Michelins but are good in heavy rain as well as snow, the latter not being of any concern in your location.
After 40K, these tires are as good in resisting hydroplaning as any Michelins I've had have been and they look to last another 40K based on wear to date.
If there is a Pirelli P7 or P4 in this size, I'd recommend checking out pricing since these seem to be very good tires at a very reasonable price point.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Much less costly than Michelins but are good in heavy rain as well as snow, the latter not being of any concern in your location.
After 40K, these tires are as good in resisting hydroplaning as any Michelins I've had have been and they look to last another 40K based on wear to date.
If there is a Pirelli P7 or P4 in this size, I'd recommend checking out pricing since these seem to be very good tires at a very reasonable price point.

+1 i have the p4 all season plus on the elantra.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

They offer the Scorpion Verde A/S Plus, which is a great tire, but the treadlife isn't exactly spectacular and the wet traction was a bit weak. I installed a set of these onto a FX35 and they were projected to last 40-50K. Unfortunately the P4's are not available.

Is DTD acceptable? Because America's Tire will install DTD tires
smile.gif

In California, you don't need all-season tires, so grand touring summer tires are the best choice, such as:
Goodyear Excellence
Vredestein Sportrac 5

Vredestein's Ultrac Satin is also a good tire.

The best tires for you that DT/America's Tire has:
Nokian Z SUV (yes, Nokian makes summer tires!)
Conti CrossContact UHP
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
You can order them online and they arrive at your local America's Tire in a few days.

DTD has the Michelin Latitude Sport 3

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

In California, you don't need all-season tires, so grand touring summer tires are the best choice, such as:

Not true.

What happens if the OP wants to go to Lake Tahoe for some skiing? Summer tires will be useless. OP will have to put chains on the front wheels and have no traction in the rear wheels.

In a month, I'll be swapping over to my winter tire set in Sunny SoCal, so that I can go to Mammoth Mountain for snowboarding.

If you drive hard, do not expect the tread to last forever. 28k is alot of miles. IMHO stick to factory OEM tires. My experience is that they are quality.

My buddy has a 2014-15 CR-V AWD. I know I know, different gen of CR-V!
When the 17" Bridgestone OE tires quickly went KAPUT, he put winter snows on the OE 17s.
He then bought 18" takeoff wheels from an Acura RDX and installed Firestone DESTINATION LE2 in 235-60-18. He loves'em.

The Michelin Defender LTX MS2 are probably the cream of the crop and are 107H in the same size.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M%2FS&partnum=36HR8DLTXXL&fromSurvey=true

The LE2's are only 102H however, it may be enough?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...wall&partnum=36HR8DLE2&tab=Sizes

Last edited:
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
General Altimax RT43 is a good tire. Don't let the price fool you.

IIRC the T speed rating was better than whatever rating my Camry requires (and might have been all of a buck cheaper).

But it is my go-to tire of choice. New they are decent in snow. I do think their wet traction drops fast after 4/32's, more so than the Michelin Primacy we had--but for the cost difference I can afford to take off at 4/32 (plus Primacy was an awful tire in snow, and Michelins like to rot).

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
General Altimax RT43 is a good tire. Don't let the price fool you.

IIRC the T speed rating was better than whatever rating my Camry requires (and might have been all of a buck cheaper).

But it is my go-to tire of choice. New they are decent in snow. I do think their wet traction drops fast after 4/32's, more so than the Michelin Primacy we had--but for the cost difference I can afford to take off at 4/32 (plus Primacy was an awful tire in snow, and Michelins like to rot).

I agree with this too even though I recommended a Destination LE2.
I had RT43s on an AWD Lexus RX and loved them.

I recently ordered Michelin Defender LTX tires for our 2017 CR-V. We are at 31k miles & the OEM tires are to worn for Winter driving.

Looking for a tire recommendation for a 2017 CR-V 1.5T.

Size: 235/60-18
Speed Rating: Must be H-rated or higher.
Load Index: 103 or higher.

Preferences:

1) Passenger Car Touring or Crossover-specific tire.
2) Tire must be available and a normally in-stock tire at either Costco or America's Tire Company.

The original Hankooks are measuring between 4/32" - 5/32" after 28k miles. Tires are rotated at every oil change (9-10K interval). Longer life would be nice.

So far, the best option I can find is the Michelin Defender T+H.

I highly recommend the Nokian Entyre C/S. It comes in your size, speed rating and load rating. It is available through Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct, that is where I ordered mine. They are designed for SUV's and CUV's. I love my set. https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-entyre-c-s/

Another tire designed for SUV's and CUV's is the Falken Ziex CT60 A/S. It too, is available at DT and DTD. I don't have experience with the Falken, but it looks like a good fit for your needs.
http://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/ziex-ct60/s-tire

Back