Tire pressure different on tire vs car

Recently replaced tires on 08 Mustang with the recommended tire size. Decal inside door states 35psi, tire states 51 psi. Im clueless. When I checked pressure tire dealer had filled 35, I increased to 45 (just could not bring myself to do over 50psi )

Recently replaced tires on 08 Mustang with the recommended tire size. Decal inside door states 35psi, tire states 51 psi. Im clueless. When I checked pressure tire dealer had filled 35, I increased to 45 (just could not bring myself to do over 50psi )
That's the max pressure the tire can handle. The proper pressure for your car is on the drivers side door placard. Apprx 35psi depending on the car.

Inflating to 45 PSI will also cause your tires to 'wear' more in the center of thread.
Stick to 35 PSI.

Get yourself a good Digital Pressure Gage and check every time the outside temperature changes 10 degrees.
That's also good for detecting a slow leak.

I've found those which list the high pressures like 51 psi will work best elevated pressures over the OE tires. But it always depends on how they wear. Too low and the sides wear, too high and the center wears.

I still have to connect the words I read.
The max load requires that pressure. I think it means 'in order to be round at this load (and thus not flex too much and heat up - viscous cycle, etc.) requires this pressure.
You will not be at max load.
(Your car sticker probably also says a load range spec.)

I have lowered to 35psi. Gonna keep eye on wear. I only ran car coupla wks at 45. It is not a daily driver (candy apple red convertible). Thanks for the quick info. Dan

I doubt the new tires you have are the exact same as what came on your vehicle. 35 psi may have been what those tires called for, and now your new tires being different, have a new different recommendation. Go with the recommendation of your new tires.,,,
I still have to connect the words I read.
The max load requires that pressure. I think it means 'in order to be round at this load (and thus not flex too much and heat up - viscous cycle, etc.) requires this pressure.
You will not be at max load.
(Your car sticker probably also says a load range spec.)
First, tires are standardized. The load carrying capacities of passenger car tires is pretty close to the same regardless of who makes the tire - close enough that it doesn't matter if you are using the same size. Ergo, the vehicle tire placard is applicable in all cases!

Yes, you will find differences in ride and handling, but that has to do with what the tire manufacturer decided it wanted for those properties, BUT not for load carrying capacity - and load carrying capacity is a safety issue! In other words, don't lower the pressure to solve a ride issue - you'll be compromising safety!

Max Pressure: For passenger car tires. the max pressure is NOT where the load maxes out. For SL (Standard Load) tires, the load capacity maxes out at 35 psi (for Eurometric tires: 2.5 bar = 36 psi!), and for XL (Extra Load), the value is 41 psi (Eurometric: 2.9 bar = 42 psi!) Note" you will find tires that list a 35 psi max pressure - in which case the max load does max out at the max pressure.

I have to add that there's also the liability issue for the tire maker. If they didn't put a MAXIMUM inflation pressure on the side, some yo-yo would put 100 psi in the thing so they could get better fuel economy or some other percieved benefit.

I doubt the new tires you have are the exact same as what came on your vehicle. 35 psi may have been what those tires called for, and now your new tires being different, have a new different recommendation. Go with the recommendation of your new tires.,,,

That's plein wrong. The recommendation on the door placard is for the size, not for a specific type of tire.
Did you ever see a tire brand and type written on the sticker?

The recommendation on the door, was put there to match the tires installed at the time of manufacture. That being said, his new tires do not have the same pressure ratings as the tire they put on the car in 2008. The manufacturer of his new tires say what it can it be inflated to. New tread design and capacity determine what you can inflate them to. New tires may look low on pressure if inflated to what the door label says, and may feel like they drag, going around corners. Filling to max capacity probably will make for a rough bumpy ride, if not needed. And no I've never seen a tire brand and type written on a sticker, that's why you can't assume every tire ever installed on that car has the same inflation requirement. I hope that clears this up for you.,,

First, tires are standardized. The load carrying capacities of passenger car tires is pretty close to the same regardless of who makes the tire - close enough that it doesn't matter if you are using the same size. Ergo, the vehicle tire placard is applicable in all cases!

Yes, you will find differences in ride and handling, but that has to do with what the tire manufacturer decided it wanted for those properties, BUT not for load carrying capacity - and load carrying capacity is a safety issue! In other words, don't lower the pressure to solve a ride issue - you'll be compromising safety!

Max Pressure: For passenger car tires. the max pressure is NOT where the load maxes out. For SL (Standard Load) tires, the load capacity maxes out at 35 psi (for Eurometric tires: 2.5 bar = 36 psi!), and for XL (Extra Load), the value is 41 psi (Eurometric: 2.9 bar = 42 psi!) Note" you will find tires that list a 35 psi max pressure - in which case the max load does max out at the max pressure.
Good post as always. I tend to be a plus one tire shopper. Like a bit more width because I’m on sand often. Like some sidewalls because (as handle implies) - drive 4WD’s and they don’t ride well on low aspect rubber, not compliant off-road (and wife will curb gouge the rims) … And yes, like the look.
Have always used the OEM pressure on the one plus and if I get 40k it’s enough …

The recommendation on the door, was put there to match the tires installed at the time of manufacture. That being said, his new tires do not have the same pressure ratings as the tire they put on the car in 2008. The manufacturer of his new tires say what it can it be inflated to. New tread design and capacity determine what you can inflate them to. New tires may look low on pressure if inflated to what the door label says, and may feel like they drag, going around corners. Filling to max capacity probably will make for a rough bumpy ride, if not needed. And no I've never seen a tire brand and type written on a sticker, that's why you can't assume every tire ever installed on that car has the same inflation requirement. I hope that clears this up for you.,,
Load of crap. Follow the door placard. My truck's tires can be inflated to 51psi (load range C) as shown on the tire. The tire pressure on the door is 35psi. The tires can carry the truck's full capacity at 35psi. My 2005 sienna came with 35psi door placards. I can buy XL (extra load) tires in its size that can be inflated higher for different applications, that doesn't mean you inflate to the max on the sidewall. The screen cap below shows both kinds of tires available from tire rack, 98 and 102 load ratings. Follow the door sticker for size and pressure, and possibly go up up to 10% higher if you like a firmer ride, but to suggest 51psi on a vehicle with a 35psi rating is extremely bad advice.

1630382664881.jpg

Load of crap. Follow the door placard. My truck's tires can be inflated to 51psi (load range C) as shown on the tire. The tire pressure on the door is 35psi. The tires can carry the truck's full capacity at 35psi. My 2005 sienna came with 35psi door placards. I can buy XL (extra load) tires in its size that can be inflated higher for different applications, that doesn't mean you inflate to the max on the sidewall. The screen cap below shows both kinds of tires available from tire rack, 98 and 102 load ratings. Follow the door sticker for size and pressure, and possibly go up up to 10% higher if you like a firmer ride, but to suggest 51psi on a vehicle with a 35psi rating is extremely bad advice.

View attachment 69132

So if the door label said to run them at 35 psi, then whats the sense of buying tires rated to 51 psi?. Plus not understanding how the tires will perform BETTER carrying max loadsm with higher pressure, is extremely uninformed on your part. Glad I could help you understand that.,,

Sorry, but you need to read up on how tires and their load ratings work. Try starting with my web page on Tire Standardizing Organizations: Barry' s Tire Tech: Tire Standardizing Orgs

Bottom line: The "pressure rating" thing is not a thing. ALL tire manufacturers produce passenger car tires to published standards for load and inflation pressure - called load tables. (There are a few exceptions, but not pertinent here!) The passenger car tire load tables are very close regardless for which standard the manufacturer is following.

And the "pressure rating" isn't a rating. The max pressure is independent of the load table.

And while the load tables aren't EXACTLY the same, you can assume that the inflation requirement is the same if the tire size is the same. As I said before, there will be some differences - the major one being the ride and handling - but when it comes to load carrying capacity, it's close enough to be considered the same.

So if the door label said to run them at 35 psi, then whats the sense of buying tires rated to 51 psi?. Plus not understanding how the tires will perform BETTER carrying max loadsm with higher pressure, is extremely uninformed on your part. Glad I could help you understand that.,,
Because some people think there is a difference!

HOWEVER: The speed rating tests require different inflation pressures. S and T rated tires are tested at 35 psi (36 for Eurometrics!). H rated are tested at 44 psi, and V and higher are tested at 51 psi. So unless you plan to travel that fast, you don't need to worry about the max pressure.

Also, don't forget there are SL (Standard Load) and XL (Extra Load) tires and those have different inflation maxes - BUT - below 35 psi, the load tables for an SL and an XL are the same!

Back