Tire pressure??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another item to consider is that tire stress is cumulative. One trip overloaded and/or underpressure won't necessarily cause problems, but it does weaken the tire. Tires with load ranges often aren't rated for sustained high speeds, even when tire pressure is increased as recommended for speeds over 65mph on trucks.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
You should have no problems at all running 5 psi over the recommended pressure. With radial tires, wear should still be even enough.

Thanks...I think I'll increase the pressure a few psi perhaps run all 4 tires at 33 psi to meet in the middle.

quote:

My '97 T-bird (v/8) weighs 3,995 lbs. the recommended pressure is 30 psi for 225/60/16. I always thought this is pretty low for such a heavy car. I wonder if should get it up to about 32-33 psi...wonder what other v8 T-bird owners run

Is that 'Bird a 4.6L OHC V-8?? If so, it's a 2-door Crown Vic! Same size tires as a Vic..That's a rare car...

quote:

Originally posted by Fuelrod:

quote:

My '97 T-bird (v/8) weighs 3,995 lbs. the recommended pressure is 30 psi for 225/60/16. I always thought this is pretty low for such a heavy car. I wonder if should get it up to about 32-33 psi...wonder what other v8 T-bird owners run

Is that 'Bird a 4.6L OHC V-8?? If so, it's a 2-door Crown Vic! Same size tires as a Vic..That's a rare car...

I'm not sure the T-bird has anything in common with the Panther platform. After all, 89+ t-birds and cougars have IRS. CV is solid axle.

quote:

Originally posted by Fuelrod:
I really don't think my car is rare...wish it were, though
smile.gif

All 89-97 T-birds and Mercury Cougars have the MN-12 platform.

1996-97 4.6L T-birds with the "sport option" package came with 225/60/16 tires, and 16" factory alloy wheels, plus: stiffer springs, larger front brakes, led-spoiler, thicker sway bars etc. It's true that not a lot of them came with the "sport option" package, especially in 97, the last year, but I don't know if it's really rare...

There's a bunch of "fake" sport package birds around from 1997: they have the wheels/tires, and the spoiler, but none of the other suspension upgrades I mentioned above...mine has the "true" 97 sport package.

people do say that the handling of sport package birds is a lot better than the non-sport birds. (I've never driven a bird withOUT the sport package, so i don't know.)

Radials should never be less than 32psi. I hate to think how a 3,995lb vehicle handles with 30psi in the tyres. I run min 38/34 f/r in both vehicles. Always go by what the tyre manufacturer recommends, not the vehicle manufacturer.

also keep in mind that while running differing pressures per axle makes sense in a FWD or RWD vehicle, doing so in an AWD car can destroy your center differential. Viscous diffs don't like things like that.

Anywho. I run my tires hard. Better economy, less sidewall flex. Low pressure in the toyota doesn't make sense because the tires are so tall (32" tire on a 15" rim = 8.5" of sidewall on either side) and the sidewalls flex enough. Too low of a pressure, and they do not run very happily. I tend to run at about 45psi (rated for 50psi max). On that Talon, i run 3-5psi under max pressure, depending on the kind of driving i'll be doing. I might drop to 7psi under, if i'm doing a ton of hard cornering and i want more footprint.

FWIW

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Always go by what the tyre manufacturer recommends, not the vehicle manufacturer.

I'm not sure about you guys, but in the US, it is printed on the side of every passenger & light truck tire to follow the placard in the vehicle or the owners manual.

This tells me that the tire manufacturer is recommending that we follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation.

Also, please note: The guy who installs your tires doesn't speak for the tire manufacturer. Most of these guys have knowledge that doesn't go beyond mounting tires (and some can't even do this right). This is along the same lines as the guy at the quicky lube place recommending Fram filters.

[ January 12, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

you will be hard pressed to find what the tire/tyre mfg recommends as it is NOT stated on the tire (they have no clue as to which vehicle it will eventually wind up on).

go by the vehicle mfg recommendation. It's the only one you'll get anyway.

I like a hard tire. I've been keeping them at 38 psi's on all 4. Max psi is 44. Do you guy's think this is a safe pressure? I don't want to cause premature tire wear. The car handles better with the tires on the high side.

80% of the max tire pressure is a good place to be. In your case that would be about 36 pounds.

Buster I try to keep my tires about halfway between what the placard on the car recomends and the max listed pressure on the tire. In other words if the placard on the door recomends 35 psi and 44psi is max listed on the tire then I try to maintain 38-39 lbs in the tires.Never had any problems with premature wear and I think slightly higher presuures will give a little better gas mileage and since tires loose a little air naturally as time goes by you will be a little less likely to have a condition of the tires getting below the 35 psi if they aren't checked regularly.

quote:

But no one in my family looks like that. I think they need different labels for Americans...

Yeah, they do look like stick figures. But I hear the 2006 models display a much more realistic bunch of Weebles.
tongue.gif

The correct way to determine the proper tire pressures is to use a probe tipped pyrometer. {With a properly alighned suspension--including ride heights) a properly inflated tire will have a linear progression of temperature from the outside edge towards the inside edge.
Underinflation will have a cooler center.
Overinflation will have a hot center.
Too much camber will have a hot inner edge.
Too little camber will have a hot outer edge.

The above rules hold even if you have lowered or raised the car/truck, changes the springs and shocks, added HP, or are using tires of vastly different dimensions than the factory stock tires.

I've a Ford E350 full size 15pax van with 4 LT245/75-16E tires. Ford recommended 55 psi for front and 80 psi for rear. Should I follow that or just have all 4 tires the same pressure? Any advise?

Mason: Yes, you don't want your van flipping in a corner if you've got 15 or more people in it with luggage on the roof. If you don't load the van a lot you could get away with less but mileage may suffer. I bet that van handles pretty good with high pressure so I don't see a benefit of not following the manufacturer instructions.

Steve

ps. On the way home I told somebody in an Aerostar that they had a nearly flat tire. They kept going...the tire was so low the sidewalls were breaking down and turning a very rich black colour. Some people.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back