Alignment and tire pressure

After new tires installed had alignment done. Tech adjusted tire pressure to what sticker on door jamb list, 32fr & 35r. I usually run fronts at higher pressure,35-38, to reduce wear on edge of tire. Does tire pressure affect alignment?

After new tires installed had alignment done. Tech adjusted tire pressure to what sticker on door jamb list, 32fr & 35r. I usually run fronts at higher pressure,35-38, to reduce wear on edge of tire. Does tire pressure affect alignment?
No. More importantly, did you sit in the driver's seat during the alignment? My mechanic puts sandbags roughly equial to my weight in the driver's seat. That does make a difference.

Reactions: hrv
No. More importantly, did you sit in the driver's seat during the alignment? My mechanic puts sandbags roughly equial to my weight in the driver's seat. That does make a difference.

This makes since in a perfect world. The fact of the matter is 99.9% of shops including dealerships do NOT do this.

If the alignment spec is for an empty driver's seat then go with that unless you have a problem.

Ride height affects alignment but your pressure changes will have a very, very minor effect.

This makes since in a perfect world. The fact of the matter is 99.9% of shops including dealerships do NOT do this.
Those 99% of shops that are inconvenienced by placing a weight in the driver's seat, what other shortcuts do they take? Factory manuals for several of my cars say to place a weight equal to the driver's weight into the driver's seat for wheel and headlight alignment. I do that and my mechanic does it also. Fuel level is also mentioned in the factory manual. Then there's common sense. How much other stuff do you normally carry in the car? Is someone always riding shotgun? Are there usually passengers in the rear?

Back