tire pressure + 2000 Doge Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This van is specked for 35 PSI and the tires I have on them max at 44 psi per/sidewall. Is it ok that I keep the cold pressure at 39 psi? When I've been keeping them at 35, I always encounter cooler days where the cold psi dips to 32 or 33 when the van specifies 35. So I've been keeping them at 39. It seems that on hot days, it won't go above 44 and cooler days it won't dip below 35 psi. Is this a good practive and no harm being done?

I always have cold tires pressure about 2-6 psi above recommendation, it improves steering respond and better MPG, also tire wear evenly.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I always have cold tires pressure about 2-6 psi above recommendation, it improves steering respond and better MPG, also tire wear evenly.

This has always been my thought and practice as well. But I've had people tell me it's not good for tire wear, etc...

2 or 3 psi over the door sticker rarely hurts tire wear and may improve tire life a bit.

Something else in your favor is that the max sidewall pressure is when the tires are at ambient temperatures. Extra pressure from operation doesn't count.

You also get less pressure rise when you start with a higher pressure because the tire flexes less.

Thanks for the replies guys. And thanks XS650. I never knew that about the max pressure listed on the sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back