Tire choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have put on nearly 50K on the cooper CS3's that are on our Sonata, Used to own a 2002 Honda CRV and I ran CS 5s and they functioned very well in snow, rain and dry but IMO based on about 4 winters running them, the CS5's tend to grip a little bit better on snowpack. Coopers are a very good tire and are at a reasonable price point. Tire rack reviews rate the General RT3's pretty high also. For the price point of $526 I would go with the cooper CS5.

I put T rated RT43s on my daughter's car as snows are not a must have for her as a student but I still wanted reasonably good winter abilities...they are a little loud and not particularly smooth, but they work well for her in moderate winter conditions. She doesn't have to drive in storms as her classes will be cancelled on bad days.
I ended up putting a set of H rated RT43s on my car as "summer" tires and they were not the best choice for me...they are really not much fun for spirited driving and the the winter capabilities are of much less importance as I run snows. They did feel pretty good when I ended up driving in 2-3" of really heavy, wet stuff late in the fall, but I made sure to have them off when the real snow showed up not long after that.

After studying your list, I would narrow it down to the Cooper or Pirelli. Take a look at the Hankook Kinergy and see if it may be what you want.

I have the kinergy tires on my crv and like those so far. They have such bad reviews on tire rack, scared me off them. I didn't realize there are so many Cooper fans. Never had a set if those.

Last edited:
The Corolla got the Cooper CS5 GT's 2 years ago. They're quiet and ride well. No complaints.
The Coopers replaced the rock hard BFG touring tires with 110k miles.

Based on those choices I'd go General Altimax or Bridegestones. Great reviews and ratings. I've had a couple sets and was impressed. Pirellies although not bad have never impressed me and the sets I've personally had on my wife's Land Rover as well as many custy's vehicles all seem to be loud and rough after they get about half way worn. Same w the Continetals.

I'd rate as follows per your list:

Gen Altimax (tie)
Bridgestone (tie)
Continental
Pirelli
(I'd rather walk than drive on Coopers. https://productsafetycenter.com/2017/08/24/2219/) Ive personally seen carnage from many Coopers in my shop and through my towing company.

You can do better price wise online with more brand options unless the prices you quoted were OTD installed.

To the person suggestions Generals can't be balanced it can happen w all brands of tires. Rarely. Most places have techs that can't balance properly....have extremely limited knowledge and training regarding what they are doing, don't truly understand what they are doing and take shortcuts that cause the custy to get a bad balancing job. Yes, my own da*mn shop and techs included to be brutally honest.

Tire install and and "tech" is the lowest shop position, pays barely above min wage and is a revolving door. Half the time when I go into my bays I don't even recognize the tire guys from a couple days before. Literally tire techs are hired off the street and get 5 mins of on the job training how to follow the blinking red lights on thr balancer.

When balancing make sure to watch and make sure the tech REMOVES all of the old weights first before balancing the tire. They don't. Ever. They spin it and add more weights which really isn't the right way to do it but saves time and energy.

Also most techs don't know the proper kinds of weights to use on different types of rims and rim materials...we have stick on, steel and aluminum clamp on weights. Use the wrong kind of weight and in less than 100 miles the weight flys off and good by balance. Usually more like 10-25 miles and it's gone off the rim.

Finally make sure to watch your tires be installed and don't be afraid to speak up if it's not being done properly. If you have fancy rims a rim protector should be used on the mounting machine to keep from scratching your rims.

Also, when the tires are put back on they should be partially tightened w the air gun and then a torque wrench used at the proper tork in a star pattern to finish tightening the lug nuts. 95 percent of tire guys just jam the lugs nuts in w the air gun and call it a day. Bad bad bad. In my shop we do get the torques correct. I keep a huge sign on two of the bay walls with every car and the proper torque per OEM spec w a sign that says if your tech doesn't hand torque your tires after installing $100 cash is paid to you, the custy (then I charge the tech). Has fixed that issue for me at least. I learned the hard way regarding that about 9 years ago and it cost me and my insurance company a chunk of change.

And yes, I hate it but my shop is guilty of all of the above despite my best efforts. I literally stand and watch my own staff balance my personal vehicles' tires or it won't be done properly. (It would get done like 99 percent the way every shop does it...somewhat correctly)

It's a constant fight to get tire techs to properly inflate tires. Most think they should inflate based on what the tire says is max inflation. Wrong wrong wrong. Always go by the door panel on the car if using stock size and load tires.....not what is printed on the tire as a max inflation.

If replacing two out of four tires the best tires always should go on the rear and not the front. Always the best tires on the rear no matter FWD, RWD or AWD. Another huge huge huge misconception 95% of tire shops and techs screw up.

Last edited:
My pick would be the Scorpion Verde or the Alenzas. I'm not at all a Bridgestone fan but they got the recipe right with the Alenza series, which I wouldn't be surprised if it's a nicer Firestone Destination LE2. The Pirellis are siped much more and looks like they can fend for themselves in the snow.

You're gonna need chains or winter tires anyway for that Ody in a heavy snowfall.

Toadu, thanks for all the detail. Yes those are the total price for the tires installed pretax. Since its the family van, probably sticking with the alenzas. Seem like they will be a good all round tire for awhile. I'd do the rt43 if I wasn't afraid of a rougher feel for the kids. Thanks for all the input. I do read BITOG on a regular basis to learn from others experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back