What’s anyone’s experience with these options for SUV tires?

Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra

Continental Crosscontact LX25

There are some Michelin options (cross climate 2, latitude ltx, primacy). I’m not a fan of the cross climate 2, I just can’t imagine how that tire will stay quiet for the life of the tire and I have a hard time getting over the ricer race car look. The ltx has pretty mixed reviews, the primacy is a great comfortable tire, I just don’t know if it’s the best suited for an SUV.

Would be going on a 22 Hyundai palisade

Long story short, I’ve owned it a year and they literally cannot get the vibration issue smoothed out. It’s been in the shop about 50 days in total, I just got it back after 1 month in the shop for a transfer case replacement. They think the remainder of my problems (noise and vibrations) are in the tires.

I’m dealing with Hyundai corporate on lemoning it or seeing if they’ll throw some tires at it and continue to try to fix it. In the discussion I want to be prepared with a tire choice as I’d like to think they’d rather fix it than lemon it, but at this point it does clearly fall into lemon-able in my state.

I’ve always thought at least this Bridgestone looks like a quality tire, but I’ve never driven or installed Bridgestones, they just aren’t popular around here I guess. I’ve been a Continental fan forever, but never had this tire either.
5708B2B3-901D-494B-9022-2D69F3FA4C13.jpg
78FE5099-EEE9-4A98-98C1-3A1F45D36F5A.jpg

I talked my buddy into Continental LX25 for his 2012 Expedition about a year back. I've never had a bad Continental tire, only good luck, hence my recommendation.

He raves about them (after a year he's driven on them in all four seasons) and says he'll stick with Continental for his vehicles unless something changes. They fall somewhere between medium and high on the price scale, but I think the price is worth it. Good all season performance and they're known for long life. The symmetrical tread pattern helps promote even treadwear.

I have no personal experience with the Bridgestone, but being a V rated tire will likely offer better performance in some areas at the expense of treadlife. Depends on what your priorities are.

Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra

Continental Crosscontact LX25

There are some Michelin options (cross climate 2, latitude ltx, primacy). I’m not a fan of the cross climate 2, I just can’t imagine how that tire will stay quiet for the life of the tire and I have a hard time getting over the ricer race car look. The ltx has pretty mixed reviews, the primacy is a great comfortable tire, I just don’t know if it’s the best suited for an SUV.

Would be going on a 22 Hyundai palisade

Long story short, I’ve owned it a year and they literally cannot get the vibration issue smoothed out. It’s been in the shop about 50 days in total, I just got it back after 1 month in the shop for a transfer case replacement. They think the remainder of my problems (noise and vibrations) are in the tires.

I’m dealing with Hyundai corporate on lemoning it or seeing if they’ll throw some tires at it and continue to try to fix it. In the discussion I want to be prepared with a tire choice as I’d like to think they’d rather fix it than lemon it, but at this point it does clearly fall into lemon-able in my state.

I’ve always thought at least this Bridgestone looks like a quality tire, but I’ve never driven or installed Bridgestones, they just aren’t popular around here I guess. I’ve been a Continental fan forever, but never had this tire either.View attachment 144158View attachment 144159
I had a vibration problem with my Hyundai Kona from day one and thought it was tire related first off. I then figured it was in the drivetrain. I learned to live with it , so I did nothing. The car had 4 different sets of tires on before I found out my problem................ I knew it wasn't bad enough where Hyundai would do anything. It all went away when I put on my slotted "Frozen Rotors" brand rotors that were balanced better then OEM rotors. All else fails, pull the rotors and bring them to a high performance engine machine shop and have them balanced.

Last edited:
Both of my kids’ have the alenzas. I drove my sons civic a few hundred miles 2 months ago through heavy interstate rain and the tires were never a problem. Quiet, smooth, evacuated water well, and fully capable if you’re feeling sporty.

in my experience, I prefer continentals for short-treadwear use. They are popular for comfort and grip in European sedans, and are generally known for having weaker sidewalls. 10 years ago, sidewall blowouts were all over the reviews. We’ve had 3 sets, and two had sidewall issues, but the all terrains I really liked. I suspect continental has improved, thought the only model I would really consider from them is the DWS06+, which is a well-respected pedigree for them, as well as the all-terrain.

Wife's Q5 has had the LX25 for about 2 years now. No complaints. Smooth ride. Can't really judge treadwear yet. We do use dedicated winter wheels/tires during winter months.

Felt the same vibration when I test drove one.
The first one we test drove, as well as one long term loaner we had for the first time it was in the shop for a couple weeks, didn’t have any vibration.

I’m still not sold it’s all in the tires, but they claim my tires are the wind noise I complained about too, and recommended I approach corporate about putting tires in it or lemon lawing / trading it.

When and if it turns out it’s not the tires I’ll either decide to live with it or continue to make them pursue it.

The replacement of the transfer case made it better, there’s not nearly as much high frequency vibrations through the floor that we had (similar to a bad u-joint feeling). But it’s still not right either.

If you are already battling vibration issues, I would be leery of Continental or Pirelli SUV/truck tires. In my experience they have a greater tendency to develop uniformity issues than Michelin. Sometimes not right away, either.

We have 2 2020 CRV EX-L's mine has the Michelin Crossclimate II'S which now have about 30,000 miles, wearing very evenly with about 7/32" tread remaining, excellent traction in wet and light snow, staying fairly quiet. Rotated every 5k or so. Wife's has the LX25'S, extraordinarily quiet and smooth. Her car has only 9,000 mi, with about 6,000 on the Continentals, no measurable wear. IMHO, either are a good choice. With any AWD or 4WD, keeping up with rotations and an eye on alignment is imperative. Both CRV'S came with Bridgestone Ecopia's which truly sucked, both ride, handling and wet traction were poor, so they got replaced. The Michelins were chosen for snow traction as my commute has some difficult sections in winter, impressed with how they're holding up. Wife's car seldom goes out in difficult weather (she's retired) but the LX25'S are well rated for traction, impressed with how quiet and smooth they ride, handling seems competent. Neither choice is cheap. Buy once cry once!

Just today put a set of Cooper Endeavour Plus tires on my 2018 Ford Edge awd . Have only driven maybe 30 miles so far but they are very smooth and quiet. Get excellent ratings on Tire Rack. Price is very good. If your Hyundai has already been in the shop for 50 days out of 365 and they will take it back, I'd do that. Tires won't make that SUV reliable.

1678415821142.jpeg

Our 2016 Highlander ran the predecessor to those Contintental which were the Crosscontact LX20. It was a good tire with no ride or vibration complaints. Replaced after 45,000 miles.
It now has the Cooper Endeavor Plus which is also been a good tire & has 20,000 miles on them. They started with 11.5/32 & have 8-9/32 remaining. I would recommend them.

I think Continental makes a great tire for the price, but my Dr. buddy just bought his 4th set (3 total vehicles) of CrossClimate2s and says they’re one of the best tires he’s ever owned at any price. They’re quiet, wear well, and most important have great winter and wet traction (he’s in the lake effect band just south of Lake Michigan). He used to buy Blizzaks for every car he’s had, but since he’s had the CC2s he said he hasn’t had any experience yet where he felt the Blizzaks would have done better.

Obviously when looking at maximum snow performance, the Blizzaks will produce better numbers since they’re a dedicated tire, but nobody drives around in the snow at 10/10ths because of all the other idiots on the road.

I have 25K miles on my set of Continental Crosscontact LX25s. So far they have been excellent tires. Very smooth and quiet and excellent grip in the dry and wet. No snow experience yet. Their sidewalls feel a tad soft when doing aggressive corners but you get used to it quickly. I am at 25K miles and I still have 9.5-10/32” remaining so tread wear is good so far. No balance issues.

IMHO, Bridgestone is a better tire than Continental.
I think from a manufacturing precision perspective, I agree. I have read and experienced that continental tire runout tends to be a little more wild, while Bridgestone tires seem to have very consistent tolerances. On the other hand, the two sets of conti’s I’ve owned had better rubber for cold and wet stuff. I’d be pleased to have either brand on my vehicle.

You should consider the 3-peak all-season tires, if snow/winter performance is a concern :)

I can vouch for the General Altimax 365AW
Other good choices:
Cooper Enduramax
Toyo Celsius CUV
Bridgestone Weatherpeak, which actually looks a lot like the Alenzas you're considering, but they'll be better in snow.

If they (or you) are willing to try what about tossing a set of rims and tires from a lower trim? The '22 SE comes with 245-60-18 so you fall into the same as the Honda Pilot's between trim levels. The larger sidewall works to absorb bumps and everything else better. I have had many sets of Michelin LTX M/S versions over the years. They were always better and quieter than the stock stuff. '94 Explorer they transformed vehicle. '19 Pilot they are much quieter than the factory Bridgestones that came on it.

Many of the vehicles tend to come with a "sport" version for how they tuned chassis. I know the 18" and 20" in the Pilots do. On her Pilot when I put the winter tires on one of the first things we both noticed was how much less road noise there was. That was both 245-60-18. Factory was Bridgestone Dueler Sport A/S vs Continental WinterContact Si. Then we put the Defender LTX on in a 265-60-18 and wife commented multiple times how even that was quieter and rode so much better.

Factory rims "shouldn't" have an issue and dealer probably has a road force balancer. You might even want to check with a different place that will dedicate the time to properly road force as I think @CapriRacer had linked recently.

maybe you can test drive one in the lot, see if no vibration issues and then put those and rims and tires on it in same spots if they go for it to try. Just some labor for them.

Last edited:
Back