Tire Chain Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for tire chains. The goal is to avoid having to use them, but want to have a set just-in-case. Cal-Trans requires vehicles to have chains under certain weather conditions.

I am looking for chains for the 3 vehicles in my signature:

1) 2020 Ram 1500 DT. Tire Size is 275/65-18. FCA specs a "S-type" chain for the truck. Was considering this set:
2) 2007 Honda Accord. Tire Size is 205/60-16. Honda says: "Link-type: SCC Quick Grip QG1134 Cable-types: SCC Radial Chain CH2311T or SCC SC Cable SC1030"

3) 2011 Toyota Prius. Tire Size is 215/45-17. Toyota says:
1612229264150.jpg

SCC's site says this set should work for both the Prius and the Accord:
Thoughts?

I’ve had luck with those SCC Z-Chains. Chineseium, but they work decently well. I found an American-made set of those on Craigslist a while back.

Log onto the internet site "Tirechainsrus" get the twist link set. They are the best for highway, but still limited to 30 MPH.

Get two of the spider web tensioner sets for each set of chains. The added tie down and tension from using 2 sets stops the chains from ever hitting the wheel well and in general is just a good idea.

The chains from tire-chains-r-us come is a decent plastic box that is big enough to include the tensioners and the following items if you take a moment to pack the chains spread out some. I had to trim the plastic on the latch a little because there was a little extra plastic left on it from the molding when it was made.

Pre-fit the chains to the vehicle, and use bare 12 gauge solid copper wire from house wiring to tie down any extra links because they will be on the inside, and if not tied down could possibly hit and damage important things like ABS sensor wires or brake lines.

Put a piece of 12 gauge solid house wire about 2 feet long that still has the insulation on it into the chain box to help you fish the inside chain when attaching it. That simple piece of wire makes it soooo much quicker and easier to fish the loose inside chain to get it to where you need it, to latch it up.

Put a few extra pieces of bare 12 gauge wire and a wire cutter in the box just incase you have to modify how many unused links you tie down, or want to tie down the latch ( but the latches usually are fine without additional tie down).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally forget about getting the cheap cable chains. Read the reviews of them on different sites if you are considering them. They are junk that fail in short order if you ever use them.

Are those bungee cords? The last time I used chains was over 20 years ago on my father's 72 Dart. That thing would go through 8 inches of snow like a 4x4. I remember driving through unplowed side streets and having people stare.

Looking for recommendations for tire chains. The goal is to avoid having to use them, but want to have a set just-in-case. Cal-Trans requires vehicles to have chains under certain weather conditions.

I am looking for chains for the 3 vehicles in my signature:

1) 2020 Ram 1500 DT. Tire Size is 275/65-18. FCA specs a "S-type" chain for the truck. Was considering this set:

2) 2007 Honda Accord. Tire Size is 205/60-16. Honda says: "Link-type: SCC Quick Grip QG1134 Cable-types: SCC Radial Chain CH2311T or SCC SC Cable SC1030"

3) 2011 Toyota Prius. Tire Size is 215/45-17. Toyota says:

Thoughts?
HOw much money do you want to spend?

the more money, the easier they install, including self tensioning and self-centering.

The easiest and most expensive chains are Konig K-summit, as they do not wrap around to the rear of the tire.

Next down on the tier is Konig Easy Fit

Then you really need to crawl on your knees and reach around for the Konig CG-9 type, not as much as the ones before

For the truck, Try Peerless AutoTrac 0232805

Which do the least damage to a set of alloy wheels???
1. Depends on the profile of the tire to wheel.
2. If they have plastic stand-offs (Konig's tend to do have them)
%CE%A7%CE%B9%CE%BF%CE%BD%CE%BF%CE%B1%CE%BB%CF%85%CF%83%CE%AF%CE%B4%CE%B5%CF%82_Konig_CG-9_No_095_(9mm)_%CE%A4%CE%B5%CE%BC%CE%AC%CF%87%CE%B9%CE%B1_%CE%94%CF%8D%CE%BF-3.jpg

You can see the difference between a 235/45r17 tire and a 215/65r16 tire above.

Cables tend not to have plastic stand-offs so, they will rub on the alloy wheel

This car with SCC cables with 225/45r17 tires is inviting scratched wheels
20190221_173350 by thisistan, on Flickr

Which do the least damage to a set of alloy wheels???
That would depend on the profile of the wheel and tire. If it is a big rim like 22 inch and a small amount of sidewall then it is going to be difficult to find a system that does not have metal touch the rim.

The chains I recommended do not have any metal touch the 17 inch alloy original rims on my 2016 Honda CR-V with the recommended 225 65 R 17 tires.

also in Pa + tyre chains are the best in extreme conditions + without a doubt excel even without AWD or 4WD. last use was on my new 72 Nova i had for 10 years + when big snows were common + often. a PITA but a good backup for 4 SNOW tyres which are prolly better than ever

No tire chains can equal what 4 actual snow tires can do, we used to have to chain up patrol cars and finally someone decided to buy extra steelies and reused the spares so there is multiple sets of snows mounted that can be changed out in 30 minutes all the time.

Just out of curiosity have you ever installed chains on the road. I have.Why on earth would you want tire chains for 3 vehicles? You really need to consider AWD

Just out of curiosity have you ever installed chains on the road. I have.Why on earth would you want tire chains for 3 vehicles? You really need to consider AWD
In California, if they set a R3 chain control, that means all vehicles need chains installed, including AWD and 4WD.

Happened in SoCal the night of Dec 28. During the day, it was R2, and at night it upped to R3 in Big Bear Lake, CA region

In a R2, AWD and 4WD get a pass... but when I get on my home PC, I'll link a Youtube video of vehicles, including AWD and 4WD sliding down a snow packed/icy hill (that isn't that steep) over in Big Bear Lake, CA

Back