Tire Business Article on Winter Tires

What kind of logic is having a ford focus the wrong vehicle to drive when I want to stay on the road?

If we are talking about extreme winter conditions, where there's argument that winter tires make that little bit of difference important, then similarly, a Focus isn't the right vehicle, due to only FWD, and smaller so crushed by the average pickup or SUV.

The curbs in my neighborhood and everywhere else here is at least 6" high. I'm not or is over three quarters of the US population buying a truck with 35" mudders just so I can drive off the road into somebody's yard because you don't know how to stay on the road.

Okay, and you are better off destroying a wheel taking the curb, than a collision with another vehicle. Nobody said anything about 35" mudders. I know how to stay on the road fine, but also accept that there are scenarios where you don't just try to brake and hope for the best, instead defensively drive your way out of harm's way and on a road with other vehicles, that can mean leaving the roadway, whether you chose to, or are rammed and it happens anyway.

So then drive properly and stay out the ditch and you won't need a vehicle to get out of of something you put yourself into in the first place.

I mean, you do realize you're supposed to drive on the road, not next to it right? Is driving into ditches how you justify your vehicle purchases?

It was only one scenario. Weren't you even following the entirely of the conversation?

Tell us, how you rank on Grand Theft Auto nationally?
lol, pretty much the opposite, considering I haven't even had a moving voilation of any kind, let alone being in an accident in over 25 yrs. Not suggesting that's some kind of record or anything, just that it's not that crazy to choose to steer off the road rather than collide with someone, even if you expect to get stuck or ruin a wheel.

If we are talking about extreme winter conditions, where there's argument that winter tires make that little bit of difference important, then similarly, a Focus isn't the right vehicle, due to only FWD, and smaller so crushed by the average pickup or SUV.

Okay, and you are better off destroying a wheel taking the curb, than a collision with another vehicle. Nobody said anything about 35" mudders. I know how to stay on the road fine, but also accept that there are scenarios where you don't just try to brake and hope for the best, instead defensively drive your way out of harm's way and on a road with other vehicles, that can mean leaving the roadway, whether you chose to, or are rammed and it happens anyway.

It was only one scenario. Weren't you even following the entirely of the conversation?

One scenario? Please quote where in the thread the scenario you are talking about. If we're talking about neighborhoods and the usual posted speed limits of 20-35mph limits of subdivisions then I'm definitely not jumping the curb to avoid an accident if somebody prematurely pulls out in front of me. I'm not even going to jump the curb if somebody pulls out in front of me on my local 45mph main avenue. If we're talking about highway speeds then I'm taking the shoulder, not the ditch.

We're talking about paved roads in the winter, not going off road on the Rubicon Trail. If your argument that a focus isn't the right vehicle for 99.9% of my driving on paved roads then you need to retake a driving course. Plenty of people drive just fine without trucks in the winter so who needs to get reevaluated? I've driven in plenty of extreme winter conditions with the focus and Evo all over the country and while there's no question that an all-season or truck could have gotten me through those same conditions, winter tires made it a lot easier and a lot safer. The focus gets all my needs done and I haven't gotten in any accidents, just why would I need a truck for the winter just to fit A/T tires under it in a possible event that I get forced off the roads.

Last edited:
^ Happens all the time, someone thinking their goal is to try to stop in the distance between them and a collision, instead of going a different direction, because they panic, and drive right into another vehicle. This applies to every road where there is an out going some other direction, whether it just be the soft shoulder of the road, or off into a field, or wherever.

Yes plenty of people drive a Focus in winter. Plenty of people also get in winter accidents in a Focus, like any other vehicle. You weren't following the topic conversation which started with how important (or not, depending on temperature and speed) winter tires were then included the choice of vehicle being important too (if being that picky about it), opposite sides of an argument similar to what I was already stating, that picking some particular thing ISN'T that important for some (temp and speed again) but if someone thinks it is, then they need to do it 100% and pick the right vehicle too.

I'm going to conclude that we won't see eye to eye on this and that it is wasting both our time. Do whatever works for you, as I will, and that is using all season tires in winter.

lol, pretty much the opposite, considering I haven't even had a moving voilation of any kind, let alone being in an accident in over 25 yrs. Not suggesting that's some kind of record or anything, just that it's not that crazy to choose to steer off the road rather than collide with someone, even if you expect to get stuck or ruin a wheel.
OMG, I am going to get stomach cramps.

^ Happens all the time, someone thinking their goal is to try to stop in the distance between them and a collision, instead of going a different direction, because they panic. This applies to every road where there is an out going some other direction, whether it just be the soft shoulder of the road, or off into a field, or wherever.

Yes plenty of people drive a Focus in winter. Plenty of people also get in winter accidents in a Focus, like any other vehicle. You weren't following the topic conversation which started with how important (or not, depending on temperature and speed) winter tires were then included the choice of vehicle being important too (if being that picky about it), opposite sides of an argument similar to what I was already stating, that picking some particular thing ISN'T that important for some (temp and speed again) but if someone thinks it is, then they need to do it 100% and pick the right vehicle too.

I'm going to conclude that we won't see eye to eye on this and that it is wasting both our time. Do whatever works for you, as I will, and that is using all season tires in winter.
You have no idea how many people I drove home from their stuck vehicle. Usual suspects: Subaru, trucks, suburnitanks drivers. If you don’t have proper shoes, you ain’t running.

But, I still didn’t hear what is that proper vehicle?
lol! Anything except what you're driving, if you think a "good driver" gets in multiple accidents as you already stated.

My suggestion was that anyone so worried (or at least should be!) about their multiple accident rate, using winter tires already, has to make more changes and that would include any vehicle you can better control, and slowing down, and learning to avoid collisions.

That does not mean everyone needs winter tires and a specific vehicle, quite the opposite, only lousy ones that think they're good but still get in multiple accidents. Except as already stated, that there are specific situations where winter tires are more important, mainly being very cold temperature.

I'd have to see how you're getting into the accidents to suggest a better vehicle, maybe something as small as possible so you inflict less damage upon everyone else. ;)

Again, I have better things to do than argue with someone who thinks that even with special help from tires, they're doomed to wrecking. It's not the tires.

lol! Anything except what you're driving, if you think a "good driver" gets in multiple accidents as you already stated.

My suggestion was that anyone so worried (or at least should be!) about their multiple accident rate, using winter tires already, has to make more changes and that would include any vehicle you can better control, and slowing down, and learning to avoid collisions.

That does not mean everyone needs winter tires and a specific vehicle, quite the opposite, only lousy ones that think they're good but still get in multiple accidents. Except as already stated, that there are specific situations where winter tires are more important, mainly being very cold temperature.

I'd have to see how you're getting into the accidents to suggest a better vehicle, maybe something as small as possible so you inflict less damage upon everyone else. ;)

Again, I have better things to do than argue with someone who thinks that even with special help from tires, they're doomed to wrecking. It's not the tires.
Can you just tell us what is proper vehicle, so we can buy it?

Can you just tell us what is proper vehicle, so we can buy it?
Apparently any 4x4 so we can dump the vehicle into the ditch instead of stopping 20' sooner and turn better.

Apparently any 4x4 so we can dump the vehicle into the ditch instead of stopping 20' sooner and turn better.

Nope, only special needs drivers who can't manage with an average vehicle. You are really bad at following a conversation and seeing information in context.

I proposed the going off road scenario because if you can't even follow a topic or feel like you need to depend on winter tires for a mere amount, you're already doing things wrong and need more help than tires. If you are that bad at it, I'd rather you went off the side of the road rather than plowing into other people. This benefits YOU, TOO. Traffic collisions have real injuries and fatalities, and almost always higher repair costs. This is not like some argument about which oil to use. Stakes are much higher. You could just slow down instead, but apparently you aren't good at math if you think 20' is some set in stone measurement regardless of speed, or just want to ignore the responsibility of driving at an appropriate speed.

Funny how there are those who do things easily and those who propose that everything is a problem. Be in the second group if you want to, but stay off public roads if you're getting into wrecks and think winter tires solve that... unless as I've already stated multiple times, the temperature is very low so they excel at that.

I should state again that I feel like our time is wasted. Did that already, but it's beating a dead horse now. I'll continue to drive safely and hope you do the same. That's zero accidents.

Last edited:
Nope, only special needs drivers who can't manage with an average vehicle. You are really bad at following a conversation and seeing information in context.

I proposed the going off road scenario because if you can't even follow a topic or feel like you need to depend on winter tires for a mere amount, you're already doing things wrong and need more help than tires. If you are that bad at it, I'd rather you went off the side of the road rather than plowing into other people. This benefits YOU, TOO. Traffic collisions have real injuries and fatalities, and almost always higher repair costs. This is not like some argument about which oil to use. Stakes are much higher. You could just slow down instead, but apparently you aren't good at math if you think 20' is some set in stone measurement regardless of speed, or just want to ignore the responsibility of driving at an appropriate speed.

Funny how there are those who do things easily and those who propose that everything is a problem. Be in the second group if you want to, but stay off public roads if you're getting into wrecks and think winter tires solve that... unless as I've already stated multiple times, the temperature is very low so they excel at that.

I should state again that I feel like our time is wasted. Did that already, but it's beating a dead horse now. I'll continue to drive safely and hope you do the same. That's zero accidents.
Hardly anyone can do that.

The new (from May 2021) EU label goes one step further. In addition to the 3PMS, there is an ice logo also.

energylabels_tyres.jpg
Similar to energy efficiency signs they have on refrigerstors, air conditioners etc. F is bad then?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211101-113922_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211101-113922_Chrome.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 9
So, you think difference in braking distance between snow tires and all-season tires at 20mph is not important? That is the difference between hitting a child on sled in your neighborhood. Snow tires are MUCH more capable at extremely cold weather than anything all season. Where do you get your information?
20' is small difference :) You really have not seen anything.
I think you are incorrect. Watch this video. The all seasons actually brake better in dry and cold conditions than the winters. I have seen several tire tests in dry/cold conditions like this and the all seasons win out in braking every time. In actual snow/ice, the winters do better, but the soft compound winters don't do you any favors on dry pavement. I have dedicated winter rims/tires for all 3 vehicles here in Calgary.

Back