tire brands you will/wont buy again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the Yokohama Avid T4, didn't like them at all, and seemed to wear quickly. I now have the BFGoodrich Traction T/A, great tire!

Quote:

Specific tires, not brands makes sense for me, as each makes tires that would be really bad for a given application.

Yeah. I never quite understood "brand loyalty" for brand names that are found on dozens/hundreds of products for vastly different applications. Every brand has their duds and their legendary products.

It almost sounds like people who are turned off by Pennzoil or Quaker State over problems their dad had 30 years ago with a particular product in a particular engine. What happened then has little to do with product today with 10 generations of technology improvements, different ownership, modern manufacturing techniques/equipment, etc.

As for tires, I really don't care about a particular brand, although I generally won't go for any non-name or house label tires. At the very least I'd like to know that the manufacturer is willing to stand by the product's performance rather than just handing it off to a seller that warrants it strictly as a marketing expense.

Quote:

I had the Yokohama Avid T4, didn't like them at all, and seemed to wear quickly. I now have the BFGoodrich Traction T/A, great tire!

Yokohama Avid T4 that's another tire i'm considering for my Civic. What's wrong with it?

I had avid h4s's on my civic, overall a darn good tire. Good dry/wet traction, excellent treadwear, however it was horrible in snow. I'm actually shopping for new tires as we speak, and im 50/50 on putting on the h4s's again. They were good, but right now im leaning towards the kumho solus kh16's.

LT tires

The good:

Michelin LTX M&S - great ride and durability. Good all around tire, but only moderate traction in mud and snow.

Nokian - great ride and excellent traction in wet, mud and snow. However, they wear quickly.

Cooper - great ride and excellent wet, mud and snow traction.

The Bad

Multi-Mile (Les Schwab Wild Country) - poor, uneven ride. Moderate traction.

Dayton - very poor traction, exspecially on wet roads. Stay far away from mud, snow or ice. They also wear quickly.

Car tires

The Good

Hankook Milemaster II - good ride, good all around traction.

The Bad

Toyo/ (LesSchwab Z-800 ultra) - very poor traction on wet roads. Non-existent traction on snow/ice.

falken2s.jpg

GOOD

Michelin - I've been happy with every one I've ran. Great QC, very well made, decent mileage (I don't really care about tread life).

Bridgestone - Close to Michelin in all categories.

Firestone - Only bought one set but they've been great and I'll prolly buy again.

Toyo - Same as Firestone

Cooper/Mastercraft/Definity/Futura - Have installed these on a number of service trucks and vans and all have worked well. As long as they're priced right, I'll keep buying them.

BAD

Kumho - Have wrote about my problems in this forum so I won't rehash them. Suffice it to say I will not purchase their LT tires again under any circumstances.

General - Only had them as LT tires but other than holding air, they weren't worth a darn. Glad to be rid of them.

Yokohama - Have only run one set but they wore quickly, were noisy and hard to get balanced. I've spoke to several people in the tire biz and all have said Yoko's QC is spotty at best. Just too many negatives to waste my money with, although I'm sure you can get a good set if you're a bit lucky.

Won't: Sonar something-or-others with a 70-80k treadwear warranty. Might get them if I lived in TX but in snow they were downright treacherous. Also won't buy most consumer Goodyears including their snow tires. I've never actually bought these tires; they come on cars I've bought and the experience leads me to think they're overpriced for what they are.

Will, with caveat: Multi Mile Grand Am/Ultrex IVs. Good in snow until half worn. Quiet, good ride with okay emergency handling for a 65-70-75 series sidewall. Ok if I have a dedicated set of snow tires, which presently I do.

Will buy again: store brand "arctic claw" snows. As awesome as they look. For $55/tire can't go wrong. Kumho 732 touring. Multi-Mile Apex-- sure they wear quickly but they have adequate traction and ride for the price. Will also re-buy the pep boys "touring" futura made by cooper. BF Goodrich Club ADVs or equivalent, would buy again from Sam's Club.

With the qualifier that I research the tire models within a brand...I've had good results with:

- Michelin,
-Goodyear Tripletred,
-Bridgestone Blizzak,
-Nokian, Gislaved,
-Kumho,
-Falken,
-Dunlop
-Toyo
-Firestone Winterforce
-Pirelli
-Goodrich
-Cooper
-Kelly

I have never liked Continental, or Pep Boys tires.

I've never used Avon, Fuzion, Sumitomo.

Dunlop are overall best quality, imo. Yokos are about the same. No complaints on my Kumho ASX at all. My personal favourite single model are ContiExtremes. Pirellis bite. Falkens are pathetic. Coopers are not bad. Don't like Goodyear. I don't like BFGs, but hear good things recently. Still they are a bit dated. My oem Michelin Pilot HX are really bad and 2x as expensive as others.

Sumis ride really poor. Bridgestones are great quality, but no wet grip. Fuzions work well and are dirt cheap.

WOW!!
crazy.gif
Mine (255/50 16) don't look half that bad. But yes, there IS mild "bubbling" going on, without even encountering any bad potholes. Enough to keep me from getting these again. I may try the Tire Rack Avon M550s next. It does seem that the "upper" max performance Falken line (Azenis 615s, etc.) is treating people O.K. though.

I've had some negative experience with Bridgestone-unlikely to buy again even though it could be just particular model Potenza RE "something", don't remember exact number). It just lost performance at 2-3K miles on C320 Mercedes. At about 10K it became plain dangerous with traction control engaging in every turn and more or less spirited start. Onanother hand I got a great deal on Goodyear Eagles F1 and they perform flawlessly on same Merc at about 8K miles and wear is still fair for max performance tires. on My VW Passat tires don't seem to play as big of a roll, possibly due to AWD. I am mildly sitidfied with current set of Y-rated Goodyear NCT5. Previous to that Goodyear RSA were just OK on Jetta. Stock Conties on Passat were OK, neutral opinion, worn too fast for "family car" oriente tires. Stock (and grossly overpriced, IMHO) Pilot HX on Merc were terrible, died way prematurely (at about 10K miles almost down to slicks). Even with such poor wear characteristics, handling was pretty poor (even when quite a bit of tread was left, which was short time). These are my experiences with tires I recall.

I have a little over 20,000 on a set of Multi-Mile Grand Am LXE's on my Windstar. Seems to be a good tire, handles the snow great, and fairly quiet on the road. I never heard of Multi-Mile tires before, and the shop that I go to recommended them. I'm pretty happy with these tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back