Tips for sealing radiator hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spring clamps with brand new hoses are the best option to never have to mess with coolant leaks again. I've seen way too many brand new hoses leak with screw tightened clamps, and leaks from shady repairs where I've seen 2 clamps and RTV on 1 end of the hose. New hoses will also allow you to put the new spring clamps in any position you want, whereas the old hoses have swollen around the clamp's shape, making you have to put the spring clamp in the exact spot it was in before. 200k mile radiator hoses should be replaced anyway if you're doing all that work.

New hoses (if not already), new spring clamp, be sure hose mounts are are in good shape. Not much else to do. Even if the hoses are not bulging or cracked, anything older than 8-10 years should be replaced. Not sure why you are worried about "losing" fresh coolant. As stated, catch it in a clean container and pour it back in. Glad you are doing maintenance with the thermostat, that's an item with big damage potential.

To add to what has been posted. I have found that the spring type of clamp is always my go to. New hoses always give some. The spring type of clamp makes up for thermal movement and the hose giving. I'm a Chevy head so I pretty much get my clamps from Delco or gm. I don't use worm drive any more at all. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back