Tiny bubbles

Ah, an S40. This was a joint venture platform for Volvo. I was thinking you had a P2, like mine, but this one is a hair different. A four cylinder vs. five, but the same design. Slightly different chassis. Different transmission.

So, forget what I said about transmission.

Don’t worry about suspension.

Good on ya’ for the plugs. If it runs well, it’s worth keeping.

Oil change - get a tool for the filter. This engine has a flat bottom sump, and the dipstick is a straight shot. An oil extractor works well. Change the oil that way for now.

With older cars, the catalytic converter code is often an efficiency code. The ECM is measuring O2 sensor readings before and after the cat and comparing them. If it doesn’t like what it sees, it throws the code. If the code stays gone, with new plugs, great. If not...

Dealer fix is to replace the cat. Let me guess, $1,800? Get an O2 sensor extender, I mean spark plug “non fouler” like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Non-Foulers-Straight-Threaded-(32mm)/dp/B08D6FDRJ6/ref=yo_ii_pd_dx_gr_1/143-9472358-9057343?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08D6FDRJ6&pd_rd_r=4e4ceaed-3514-41e7-b105-b512864565ec&pd_rd_w=d5HMb&pd_rd_wg=fcsh2&psc=1&refRID=0NKR256Y5J82E09M745J

Install that on the rear O2 sensor, clear the code, and then see what you get.

Cheers,
Astro

Ah, an S40. This was a joint venture platform for Volvo. I was thinking you had a P2, like mine, but this one is a hair different. A four cylinder vs. five, but the same design. Slightly different chassis. Different transmission.

Oil change - get a tool for the filter. This engine has a flat bottom sump, and the dipstick is a straight shot. An oil extractor works well. Change the oil that way for now.

With older cars, the catalytic converter code is often an efficiency code. The ECM is measuring O2 sensor readings before and after the cat and comparing them. If it doesn’t like what it sees, it throws the code. If the code stays gone, with new plugs, great. If not...

Dealer fix is to replace the cat. Let me guess, $1,800? Get an O2 sensor extender, I mean spark plug “non fouler” like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Spark-Non-Foulers-Straight-Threaded-(32mm)/dp/B08D6FDRJ6/ref=yo_ii_pd_dx_gr_1/143-9472358-9057343?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08D6FDRJ6&pd_rd_r=4e4ceaed-3514-41e7-b105-b512864565ec&pd_rd_w=d5HMb&pd_rd_wg=fcsh2&psc=1&refRID=0NKR256Y5J82E09M745J

Cheers,
Astro

Also V40/V50.

Joint venture Mitsubishi

Or for not enough, leaving space for air.
Mystery solved. All oil has anti foaming additives to keep air out of the oil. That additive can wear out if the oil isn't changed in a timely manner.

Cheers,
Astro
Sorry it took so long getting back to you. I posted above that the bubbles in the oil mystery has been solved. All oil has antifoaming additives which will wear out and allow bubbles.

Cheers,
Astro
So what part did Mitsubishi play in the development of the car? By the way that is the same Mitsubishi that brought us the Japanese Zero during WW2. Not being negative just informative.

So what part did Mitsubishi play in the development of the car? By the way that is the same Mitsubishi that brought us the Japanese Zero during WW2. Not being negative just informative.

Same Mitsubishi. Mitsu is a massive conglomerate. They make everything. If you have flown on a newer Boeing lately there is some Mitsubishi there. Nuclear reactors, ships, aerospace, real estate, banking, you name it. Their automobile business is actually a small sector of their conglomerate.

Sorry to have missed your reply.

I would love to see pictures of the Stude and the Willys sometime.

You’ve got a 20 year old car here. It needs a bit of TLC. My wife’s 2002XC is up on the lift right now for a suspension refresh, oil change, timing belt, brake flush and few other odds and ends. It has 265,212 miles on the odometer.

Her 20 year old Volvo looks 1/4 of its age. It has great paint, nice leather interior with no flaws, runs perfectly, has great brakes, is very comfortable.

A bit of TLC on an old Volvo rewards you with a very practical, enjoyable, nice looking car. It’s a great value.

Owners who complain are the kind who neglect the car, then are shocked, shocked! That a Volvo requires any service. They’re very durable. But they do require work. Do the small service now and avoid the big repair.

Cheers,
Astro
So the upshot of this is that the oil and filter have been changed and the car driven to my house. Had to license and insure the car before taking it on the road. The new oil had bubbles in it at first and now they are gone. Will be taking the car to put on 4 new tires which I purchased from Tire Rack. The exhaust system is clunking and there is an exhaust leak. I'll take care of all. Initial thoughts as I drove the car home is that turbo gives you a kick in the butt. Car is very neutral handling, very solid, no drama at all.

Jack O Neill and Daniel Jackson approves.
The tiny bubbles went away after the oil change. It seems the anti foaming additives had been depleted. Filter had sludge in the bottom. Oil not changed for a long time. Will need to do another oil change shortly as the oil is already dark.

Cheers,
Astro
There is an exhaust leak and the exhaust system is banging under the car. The leak would throw a code. Getting the new tires put on the car on Saturday. Will check the exhaust system while it is on the lift.

Cheers,
Astro
Need your advice for one more problem. Had the tires replaced Friday. Noticed a banging under the car and an exhaust leak. Upon examination found the dreaded flex coupling was gone. I can buy just the coupling for $10 and have it installed. I can buy the complete section for $170 and have it installed. Taking the car to a place that deals with exhaust and will find out if they will do just the coupling. What are your thoughts?

A shop is apt to want to use their own parts. If they have to stand behind their work, then I'd let them source it. I'd ask how they plan to replace. If it's a bubble-gum hack up job, you might want to pass, unless if this was to just keep it going for the least amount possible (which is what I would do, for my cars, no judgement here). I'm not sure what $170 buys you, sounds like a whole pipe, which should be easy to install, no welding, right?

The $170 is the flange, the coupling and the cat from CarID.com which I have been dealing on line for years The part is made by Davico which is an American company The shop is a Meineke shop which has been doing exhausts for decades. I have a 10% senior discount coupon. I don't know if you have that chain in NH? Will keep you apprised.

Cheers,
Astro
So I have replaced the flex coupling and that eliminated the P0420 codes. I also have P0015 codes which I have determined come from the VVT valve which must have sludge in it from the lack of oil changes. New valve on order. There was sludge in the oil filter housing when I changed the oil. The oil was jet black after I put the new oil in and finally cleared to looking like new. The new filter must be a mess. Will be doing another oil change and filter now. In NJ when you go for the yearly inspection they stick the computer in the port and do a reading. If any codes are there you fail and have 6 months to correct the problem. Had to replace the sway bar links.

Good news on the P0420 code.

For cleaning up the engine, you might consider dropping the oil pan (an aluminum casting that Volvo calls a sump) and cleaning that as part of the effort. It’s not hard, but there are a lot of little bolts, and you do need an anaerobic sealant, not RTV, for installing it.

While it’s out, replace the oil pickup o-rings, again, not hard, but dropping the pan will give you a good idea of the internal state of the engine.

You may get lucky with the VVT solenoid. There’s a little screen in the oil inlet for the solenoid. Some have had luck with getting a new VVT gasket, removing the solenoid, cleaning the screen, and reinstalling.

I buy my filters in bulk from IPD. Get their filter tool as well. I’ve seen mangled filter housings from the use of pump pliers. The filter housing is composite and quite durable, unless a goober mechanic has been at it with pump pliers.

As a Volvo owner, you will appreciate IPD. Wide selection of parts, good videos, good kits for common jobs, nice accessories and unique solutions for Volvo problems.

Www.ipdusa.com

Cheers,
Astro

Good news on the P0420 code.

For cleaning up the engine, you might consider dropping the oil pan (an aluminum casting that Volvo calls a sump) and cleaning that as part of the effort. It’s not hard, but there are a lot of little bolts, and you do need an anaerobic sealant, not RTV, for installing it.

While it’s out, replace the oil pickup o-rings, again, not hard, but dropping the pan will give you a good idea of the internal state of the engine.

You may get lucky with the VVT solenoid. There’s a little screen in the oil inlet for the solenoid. Some have had luck with getting a new VVT gasket, removing the solenoid, cleaning the screen, and reinstalling.

I buy my filters in bulk from IPD. Get their filter tool as well. I’ve seen mangled filter housings from the use of pump pliers. The filter housing is composite and quite durable, unless a goober mechanic has been at it with pump pliers.

As a Volvo owner, you will appreciate IPD. Wide selection of parts, good videos, good kits for common jobs, nice accessories and unique solutions for Volvo problems.

Www.ipdusa.com

Cheers,
Astro
I found IPD and ordered the spark plug wires from them. Good product at a good price. I also buy from my local Walmart. They have the name brand filters and synthetic oil at a good price. I looked at YouTubes about the VVT valve. I also have ALLDATA and looked at that. I know how to remove and replace the valve. Pretty straight forward. Figure that if I have the valve out I would replace it with a new one and not take chances of a reoccurrence.

Thought it was going to be about this.

"Tiny Bubbles" was the punchline to a rude joke I heard in Boy Scouts in Grade 6. It involved Dean Martin, a bath, and flatulence. Of course Mr Pop-Culture Ignoramus here didn't get it, not knowing the song or who Dean Martin was.

Back