Timing Belt Change Intervals

Our 2005 sienna is still on the original belt, but only has 77k kms on it (49k miles). I had a look a couple of years ago and it looks new right down to the writing on the belt. With our dry and cool climate, i'm not sure when I will actually have it changed.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
They do not normally break the day the go over the interval.

I've had two that broke well before the interval. Three if the one where it was the tensioner counts.
Literally I was 1-2 weeks away from having 2 weeks off of work to do a TB change when one broke at 97K miles. Was 19 degrees F and after dark and waited for an hour for a tow.

If you go by the odds, it's not the timing belt that fails, but the tensioner or idler that fails, resulting in a broken timing belt. That's why all components are changed at the same time. I don't think it's fair to put so much emphasis on the belt.

my tundra 3.4 has 68k on the clock and its a 2003. still on factory belt. non interference engine. will change it next winter

Another consideration:

2006 Honda Accord V6, 90K miles. Bought new. Interference engine. VTEC, but no cam phasers. Mostly in-town driving. I am the only driver.

I had my timing belt and associated parts changed last year after 13 years / 90K miles
(tensioner, idler pulleys (slight squeaking), water pump).
Old Belt was in good condition.
Just maintenance...BUT I was pleasantly surprised at the performance increase, just like a new car!
My thought is that the belt stretched and caused the valvetrain to have late timing.
After a year the 'like-new' power is still there!

Originally Posted by SWS
Just maintenance...BUT I was pleasantly surprised at the performance increase, just like a new car!
My thought is that the belt stretched and caused the valvetrain to have late timing.

More likely due to resetting the ecu after the job was complete. Usually when this is done the car will seem a little more responsive until it relearns your driving habits again.

Originally Posted by SWS
Another consideration:

2006 Honda Accord V6, 90K miles. Bought new. Interference engine. VTEC, but no cam phasers. Mostly in-town driving. I am the only driver.

I had my timing belt and associated parts changed last year after 13 years / 90K miles
(tensioner, idler pulleys (slight squeaking), water pump).
Old Belt was in good condition.

Never seen a stretched timing belt......

Originally Posted by SWS

Had that happen on the GF's 2000 Camry as well. The belt slap noise went away after I changed the timing belt as well.

If I may comment on the "belt stretching", I believe it is not so much as the belt stretching as it is the little teeth wearing down over time.
21.gif

I've got this job coming up on my 03 Accord. My next long weekend off the TKH-002 and about $50 in orings and oil pump seals go in. I plan on taking some pics along the way of the bottom end and removed parts. I'll have to check my records, but I think I had the belt done at 110k at the dealer, and the car has something like 220-230 on it now (Wife has been driving it so I'm not 100% sure)

Back