Time to replace my Corolla, what should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While my '99 Corolla isn't ready for the graveyard just yet, at 2500 miles a month, it's quickly approaching 200K miles and little things here and there are starting to need replacement. I do feel this car will easily achieve 200K, and could probably do 300k, but I fear once I start getting much over the 200K mark it might start nickle and diming me to the point where it might be better for me simply to replace it.

The problem for me is, what do I replace it with? One of my problems is my limited budget. $9000 is about the most I can spend on a replacement and that severely limits my options.

Considering how many miles I drive every month, two factors are most important; the car MUST be very fuel efficent and it MUST be very reliable.

With the Corolla meeting these two factors very well, my first consideration was buying another Corolla. However, my price range puts me squarely into the next generation model (one generation after mine), and after test driving one I found that the front seat doesn't go back far enough to give me enough leg room to get comfortable. I can't spend as much time as I spend in a car that's not comfortable, so the Corolla is out.

There have been many vehicles I've test driven, and many I haven't, but I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to the Civic and the Jetta TDI.

Even choosing between these cars is not a cut and dried deal. The most impressive high MPG car I've driven is the newest generation Civic (2006 and newer). However, even high mileage 2006 models can't be had for $9000 or less (they must be to new yet to be in that price range). Most are still selling for $11K or more. I suppose I could go with a pre-2006 Civic, but after driving the newer ones they are unimpressive by comparison.

The Jetta TDI is a new experience to me all together. I've never owned a VW (or any German car for that matter), and I've never owned a diesel powered vehicle. These are very high MPG cars (seeing owner's reports inexcess of 50 MPG is not uncommon), but how much of that will be offset by the higher price of diesel fuel? How reliable are these cars? Living in Chicago we have all 4 seasons here. Will the diesel be difficult to start in cold weather? How long will it have to run before it produces heat from the heater? I've also noticed in order to find Jettas in my price range, most of them have well in excess of 100K miles, and most of those are closer to 200K. I couldn't imagine spending $9K on a car with over 100K miles on it. Why are these things so expensive? Do they last longer because they're diesels?

There are many questions I don't have the answers to. I guess that's why I posted this thread in here, hoping I'll get some good input from people who are much better informed than I. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd continue to drive the Corolla and fix what is needed. Nickel and dime here and there will not equate to nearly as much as you have to spend on another replacement vehicle. Plus, you know your car well, the history, maintenance, etc.

For $9k, you are buying a cat in a bag. This goes for any used car.

If you're on a limited budget, stay away from VW, as parts are expensive and they tend to complain more so than a Corolla does/would. Also, for $9k budget, you will not find a decent and low mileage VW TDI as they are holding their value quite well with today's gas prices, being as efficient as they are.

Last edited:
I'm with Spartuss. I'd continue to drive the Corolla. I highly doubt it will "nickel and dime" you to the point of spending 9K. I see people on a daily basis who are upset at having to spend 200 or 300 on parts for their "paid off" vehicles. I simply tell them that it's still cheaper than one single car payment on a newer car. Continue to drive the Corolla...this is when the car starts to pay for itself.

I will keep the Corolla as long as I can and check the price of used civics (2006 and newer) until you find one in your price range.

I owned a 2006 civic coupe and my wife has the 2006 sedan, these cars are awesome and I did more than 40mpg with the coupe in summer (manual). Reliable, comfortable, and fuel efficient,

If you don't need the extra doors, go with the coupe, you will save some mpgs and what a look!

As long as I like the best fuel efficient car, I won't go with a diesel car in our part of the world. As for VW, parts are quite expensive, don't know the reliability.

Originally Posted By: Pesca

If you don't need the extra doors, go with the coupe, you will save some mpgs and what a look!

This is quite interesting. The coupe and sedan in the civic are almost the same weight, same engine, transmission, gear ratios. Why would a coupe get better MPG?

This is just my personal opinion from experience:
You may be entirely right that it could start nickel and diming you after the 200k mark, but if you buy another used car, you are (most likely) going to be buying someone else's problems and you probably won't be coming out ahead... just my 2 cents.

Aerodynamics and construction: car is stiffer (more rigid) and suspension is sportier. Car looks and drives sportier.

It has also the "already aftermarket" kinda look, all my friends told me that.

It is just my experience. For sure my wife and I don't drive the same way, but we exchanged cars from time to time, and it is what I noticed.

The handling is way more fun with the coupe (turn more "flat", not too much rolling), even my wife noticed it, and liked it a lot.

It is kinda strange but they are two different cars (not aimed at the same customers I suppose).

Keep your corolla,the VW will put you into the poor house quickly.
Very unreliable after a few years.
I don't know too many friends who purchase more than one VW.
Most used vehicles I was looking at were 13K anyway,so I just bought a new Yaris.
My fuel usage last month was $80.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Aerodynamics and construction: car is stiffer (more rigid) and suspension is sportier. Car looks and drives sportier.

It has also the "already aftermarket" kinda look, all my friends told me that.

It is just my experience. For sure my wife and I don't drive the same way, but we exchanged cars from time to time, and it is what I noticed.

The handling is way more fun with the coupe (turn more "flat", not too much rolling), even my wife noticed it, and liked it a lot.

It is kinda strange but they are two different cars (not aimed at the same customers I suppose).

Maybe in Canada something is different from US models but the only thing that I can remember is that if you are comparing a sedan to a coupe trim for trim, both are the same. Perhaps your DX does not have a rear stabilizer bar and the coupe does which makes a difference in handling. Mechanically, they are both the same and are even rated with the same EPA from the factory. Maybe your sedan needs a tune up? Besides, no two cars are identical. Your coupe may be more efficient from the factory but it can also work the other way around for other owners.

So far this year, these are the repairs/replacements I've had to make.

Electric radiator fans (both) and housings. Cost $400

Front stablizer bar links (both). Cost $110

There are some other things wrong that I haven't gotten fixed. Both driver's side windows are inop, they probably need new regulator assemblies. I have a constant check engine light on due to an EVAP system error caused by a bad fuel system vent valve (has no affect on anything). I also have a constant flashing seatbelt warning light on the dash.

Everything else on the car works fine and the engine uses about 1/2 qt between 6K mile changes.

I believe you can get new Chevy Cobalt 5 speeds for $10k.

If I were you, I'd keep that Corolla until the doors fall off. Even if you put $2000 into it to fix it up it's still cheaper than car payments.

Like I said, it is just my experience.

I drove my coupe everyday and the sedan in the weekends.
My wife drove my car when hers was at the dealer and some other times.

We both felt the same: we liked more the coupe, even as passengers, but it was lacking two doors!!

If I remember correctly, you don't have the DX-G model in the US, only the DX and then you jump directly to the EX, I think.

Anyway, both were DX-G models, so same level of finition/performance apparently.

My point to the OP was not to limit himself to the sedan (if he doesn't need the two extra doors) and testdrive the coupe also. For me, that is two different cars.

Just my CAD 2 cents.

Stabilizer bar links, bushings, struts all wear out after sometime. Replace what is needed, get the windows working and you should be back on the road for many more miles.

Maybe try some Auto-RX in the engine and change all your fluids if they haven't been replaced in a while. Happy motoring.

I would have to go with the sedan model as I need the extra practicality of the 4 doors. I also want to go with an automatic this time around. My Corolla is a manual, and while I have preferred manuals to autos most of my life, I'm getting to the age (and I encounter a lot of traffic) to where I'm getting sick of shifting. I absolutely love the 5 speed auto in the newer Civics (which is one of the main reasons I prefer it to the older Civics).

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I believe you can get new Chevy Cobalt 5 speeds for $10k.

If I were you, I'd keep that Corolla until the doors fall off. Even if you put $2000 into it to fix it up it's still cheaper than car payments.

I'm not convinced the big 3 can build a small car that rivals the build quality of Toyota or Honda. I know the Cobalt is a new model and there's high expectations for this car, but the big 3's rep for building small cars up to this point has been atrocious!

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
This is just my personal opinion from experience:
You may be entirely right that it could start nickel and diming you after the 200k mark, but if you buy another used car, you are (most likely) going to be buying someone else's problems and you probably won't be coming out ahead... just my 2 cents.

I bought my Corolla used with 65K miles on it and I didn't have to do any maintenance (other than the normal routine maintenance) until I hit about 140K. It's been my experience that Toyotas and Hondas are built so well they hold up just fine even with at least marginal care, which most people provide. It's reasonable to expect any of them to last 200K miles with minimal repairs.

I personally prefer foreign vehicles over domestics. There are very good reviews on the Cobalt however. It is economical and the ecotec engine has been around for a while with excellent ratings. I also believe it's a bit more torquey than the Civic and Corolla due to the larger displacement that is easier to live with on an everyday commute. GM is also offering a very competitive 100k mile warranty. If the above is true and it is possible to get a new Cobalt for $10k miles, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one as basic transportation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I personally prefer foreign vehicles over domestics. There are very good reviews on the Cobalt however. It is economical and the ecotec engine has been around for a while with excellent ratings. I also believe it's a bit more torquey than the Civic and Corolla due to the larger displacement that is easier to live with on an everyday commute. GM is also offering a very competitive 100k mile warranty. If the above is true and it is possible to get a new Cobalt for $10k miles, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one as basic transportation.

I don't know if I could force myself to buy a Chevy compact. From what I've seen, even a 4-5 year old import is likely to be far more reliable than a new compact from the big 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back