time for tires "wifes car"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had to put new tires on my wife's ride... I went into America's needing a repair for a slow leak and a rotation and left having spent $500 for a set of tires...

P225/70/16 Yokohama Prodigy HT's... They couldn't repair the slow leak because it went into the sidewall from the inside, and to me it seemed silly to only replace 2 of the tires, as the other ones were within 1-2/32nds of needing to be replaced anyway.

The other tires I was pondering were the Yokohama AVID TRZ's and the Kumho KR21s. They had neither in stock though...

My wifes RX-300 has 225-70-16 tires and I couldn't get the Kumho's or the Yoko's for her ride either(always out of stock on many tire sites I frequent) and ended up with GoodYear Assurance Comfort Treads. Not as highly rated as the Pirelli P4, Kumho Solus KR-21, Yokohama Avid-TRZ or General Altimax but a nice tire just the same and perfect for a Lexus. Same thing happened to my Altima. Out of stock so I ended up with Pirelli instead of Kumho. The KumhoKR-21 is what I really wanted as our circle of family/friends are tickeled with their purchaces as per my recomendation and I don't even have them(due to being out of stock). I'll be putting the Kumho's on my daughter's car when it's time to replace.

I was the starter of that big Altimax HP thread back then :)
my last update was about an year ago, I think.

WE STILL LOVE THOSE TIRES: a few days ago wife and I had to drive her Elantra in during a thunderstorm, and let me tell you it was the WORST DRIVING IN RAIN EXPERIENCE EITHER OF US EVER HAD: VERY hard rain, slush/snow mix, and DARK. There was a LOT water on the hwy.
I drove about 60-65 mph (limit 70 mph) and the HPs carried the car SAFE and STABLE through all of that mess, without EVER sliding or losing control (the Car was my wife's 2003 Elantra)...this tire is just SUPERB in rain and bad road conditions, and handles great !!! I have never felt so confident driving in rain as I do with this tire.

wifey wants no other tire, she said. one of the best choices I have ever made.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Better than oem at far less money is the trick.

well said. +1

I put a set of the DWS Extreme Contacts on my 2.2 liter HHR...not exactly a high performance machine but the car seems to love these shoes. Replaced the OEM Firestones that came on the car and night and day regarding the handling and stopping distance.

Only about 150 miles or so on them so as ben said, it will take a bit to break these in and get a true feel for them

Like them so far, ride nice and are pretty quiet...they do like to follow grooves in the road and also the crown too...imagine with a few more miles they will settle down a bit.

Sidewall does seem a bit thin as others have mentioned

But all that said I like the tire

Goose

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I was the starter of that big Altimax HP thread back then :)
my last update was about an year ago, I think.

WE STILL LOVE THOSE TIRES: a few days ago wife and I had to drive her Elantra in during a thunderstorm, and let me tell you it was the WORST DRIVING IN RAIN EXPERIENCE EITHER OF US EVER HAD: VERY hard rain, slush/snow mix, and DARK. There was a LOT water on the hwy.
I drove about 60-65 mph (limit 70 mph) and the HPs carried the

car SAFE and STABLE through all of that mess, without EVER sliding or losing control (the Car was my wife's 2003 Elantra)...this tire is just SUPERB in rain and bad road conditions, and handles great !!! I have never felt so confident driving in rain as I do with this tire.

wifey wants no other tire, she said. one of the best choices I have ever made.

Great review and a tire that should not be overlooked! I too will consider them more now having read your trusting words. Having your wifes blessing goes a long way too!

Well, We are still happy with the ALTI'S with all this weather we have gotten im very glad there is fresh rubber on the car. everything ive stated before i stand behind.. only dislike on these tires is they are noisy. if you can deal with that, ur good to go !

Take a look at costco or sams club if you just need a set of regular but name brand tires.

For your 17 inch wheel, they are 128-130 for decent BFG or Goodyear all season tires.

Its worth the 40 per year for a membership card for this reason alone. They kill everybody else on tires, even walmart.

My dads got 15k miles on the Altimax

They are very quiet and grip extremely well in the wet, In the dry grip is ok.

8/32nds left of tread on them

Well, weve had the Altimax's for some time now, they still look brand new and my opinion hasnt changed.. great tire, great price.. still a bit noisy for my taste but i can live with it. very pleased.

Well, theres atleast 7,000-10,000 miles on these tires now. Over the course of the winter i can validate these are NOT snow tires, We moved to the country and our private drive has some elevation changes and turns, my wife got stuck many times and out came my 4x4 to drag her home. Now mind you this was a Very bad winter, Heavy ice, Heavy snow, I wont say any tire i had on her car would have gotten her going. I still like the Generals, great value, and fantastic 3 season performance. I may put some Blizzaks on her front end this winter and see if it makes much difference. im not sure about tire wear, there still in decent shape, but i dont see us getting 60,000 out of the set.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
I may put some Blizzaks on her front end this winter and see if it makes much difference.

Don't put winter tires on the front of a vehicle especially front wheel drive. In slippery stuff the rear end will swing around during stopping and corners and cause unrecoverable spins.

This is coming from personal experience when I though I knew more than tire guy.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I may put some Blizzaks on her front end this winter and see if it makes much difference.

Don't put winter tires on the front of a vehicle especially front wheel drive. In slippery stuff the rear end will swing around during stopping and corners and cause unrecoverable spins.

This is coming from personal experience when I though I knew more than tire guy.

yeah, true.. maybee just a different set of tires in the winter altogether.. i dunno yet..

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Don't put winter tires on the front of a vehicle especially front wheel drive.

Yup. It would actually be less dangerous to put them on the back of the vehicle, but even that is a half-*** solution.

maybee just a different set of tires in the winter altogether..

That's the right thing to do. You do love your wife, don't you?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
maybee just a different set of tires in the winter altogether..

That's the right thing to do. You do love your wife, don't you?
smile.gif

LMAO, Yeah i want to keep her around, thing is here in Indiana most winters are deffnately cold, but ice and snow are hit and miss.. one year were up to our elbows in the stuff next year is very mild.. putting dedicated winter tires on a car that lives in a state where one week its in the teens, the next week the 40' or 50's is just a nightmare, if you take the time to go to a service center, install the tires, and its a mild winter.. your just burning up a good set of winter tires.. and there not going to last long at all.. and since i dont have a crystal ball, its a real headache.. 4x4's are much easier, run A/T tires year round and when its real nasty out, just chuck a few extra sandbags in the bed and your set. its a whole different ball of wax with a front wheel drive car.. we have a saying here in the heartland "If you dont like the weather in Indiana, stick around a few days.. its going to change" and that saying is no joke..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back