Time for new Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually bought them because they were silicone, also they were priced pretty well. The quality of the blade holder was very good too. The guarentee is a bonus.

Like denny and AudiJunkie said, I'd first try to clean the windshield with Bon Ami and the existing wiper blade with alcohol before spending money on new blades. This maintenance is usually ignored by most people and sometimes the blade is needlessly blamed when there is a problem cleaning the windshield.

There used to be a small gadget that you could use to extend blade life. It would clean and sharpen the edge on the wiper blade. SafeSight does the same each time the wiper blade moves ober the 2 SafeSight strips with their 4 edges.

"Don't waste the extra money for Trico teflon blades. They will skip across the windshield just like the regular Trico blades after about a year."

My experience with these is the opposite. I've had this set on since last November, nad they don't skip, chatter, or smear. In fact, they are just about as good as new, and better than anything I've tried so far.(and that includes Bosch)

Walmart sells a lexon brand 2 refills for $2.50, or a whole new arm for the same price.
The 24" blades and refills are not carried by most walmarts in my town I had to go to another town to get them. I bought 3 sets of refills.

I've been using Trico blades for a few years now, initially the regular, then the Teflon, then the regular, and now I'm going back to the Teflon. I use refills about once a year as they're less than half cost, but I'll replace with a new blade if the refill doesn't seem to be working very well. I have one extra set of wipers now, so I can just replace the wipers and then do the refill when I get to it.

Anyone that has lived in the very cold climate will appricate better wipers. When it gets 0*F or below, some lesser wipers just don't cut it. And I'll tell ya' now! There is nothing worst than not being able to see when it's brutaly cold outside and the Snoopy Flakes are flyin rite at your windshield. I'll pay! I don't care! I just gotta see, especially at night. Not to mention white outs, slick roads and deer. Yeah Baby!

"Question on the Bon Ami - Are you guys using regualar Bon Ami or one just for glass??? "

Just the regular old Bon Ami, the stuff thats been around forever.

I've used a number of different brands of blades on numerous vehicles for decades, and have lived in hard winter states (Minn., Vt., and Mont.) all that time. As far as I can tell they all worked equally well.

I don't understand people who change the blades whether they need to or not. A waste of money.

I finally got sick and tired of buying and installing refills, what with the various ways of attaching them to the blade housing, most of which seem to be designed to drive me nuts trying to install the refill into the blade housing. So a couple years ago I just started buying the whole blade housing with the blade already installed. I just take the old unit off the arm and install the new unit.

Just buy a 10 lbs sack of whiting (calcium carbonate powder/chalk) for a few dollars. It's a mild abrasive and won't scratch glass. You can use it to clean anything around the house. Looks like cocaine, so be careful when unloading it from your trunk.
wink.gif

When my wipers became a year old, they chattered all over the windshield never cleaning well,(winter months). I clean my windshield by hand,(Windex,Stoner,etc.)on a regular basis as-well-as the rest of the vehicle. When the temp approched 0*F outside, the rubber beacme so hard, that it just didn't clean the snow off very well and I couldn't see for $#!+ especially when I would get splashed by oncomming vehicles. Not that the Bosch Micro Edge Excel(my favorite) are the best wipers available, but they have worked very well for me and my money. Last about 3 years for me!

Yes, Bon Ami in my case, works very well and should be regular part of maintenance. A lot of people don't realize that liquid cleaners don't remove hardened environmental contamination from the glass - you need to use something with an abrasive nature once in a while. I imagine a clay bar would work fine.

Whether you park in a garage also makes a big difference. I don't, and my cars are also subject to the extra-UV attack of high altitude sunlight. So mine is probably a worst-case scenario. Twice a year replacement if I want to see well.

- Glenn

Those new style wipers are appearing on several GM cars. The new Lucern has them too.

Mild cleanser on the glass works miracles. I tried Softscrub, being unable to find any BonAmi. I use it on the wiper blade too to remove accumulated stuff.

I had also tried Bosch Microedge Excels, but had to take them off. The Bosch wiper frame sits up sufficiently high (higher than my stock wiper frame) that it catches the wind and howls like a banshee at highway speed.

I would encourage anyone who's about to buy wipers to try the mild cleanser, perhaps supplemented with a clay bar as Winston suggested, before replacing. If kept clean, wipers last longer than most people realize.

quote:

Originally posted by denny2w:
One trick I've found is to clean the windshield from time to time with Bon Ami found nationally in most supermarkets. This stuff will not scratch and cleans leaving a smooth surface. I was hesitant to use it the first time but it worked well. Even old wipers seem to work much better.

I'll have to try that, as I've been pulling what hair I have out trying to get the windows clean on the outside.
banghead.gif
The inside is just as aggravating.
dunno.gif

I laugh at people (relatives) whom say that wiperblades and oil never wear out. I read that as being cheap and I wish I had that sort of money to be wasting on nonessential stuff. I have to save forever to get brakes done with my lack of hours and rate/rape of paychecks.
mad.gif

i have tried every set of wipers and blades that walmart carries. some were better than others. most lasting six months or a year at the most. i was in walmart one day and seen a weird looking wiper(valeo) for 19 for one. i was reluctant but went ahead and bought a set. all i can say is these wipers are the only ones that will be on my truck. they work so much better and have been on my truck over a year and show no signs of wear and wipe clean every time. these wipers are the real deal and i have found them at amazon online for 38 with free shipping. great wipers....actually probably the best on the market!!

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Check out any late '05 or '06 model BMW and you will see those wiper blades. They completely put away with the segmented blade "holder" that rarely exerts even force on the actual blade and glass.

-

Valeo Ultimate Blade -- picture

I got these blades on my new 325i,they kick arse!

An update on my earlier post...I now have the the Bosch ICON blades installed on my STi. They are the same design as the Valeo Ultimate's (which I had on my STi previously). So far, the ICON's are proving to be as good as the Ultimate's. Purchased a pair for my girlfriend's Audi A4 too, she loves them as well. Two thumbs up.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back