Time for a new phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HTC Incredible currently. I've had it for almost 2 years without any problems. I have not modified it at all.

Last night I shut it off and went into the library for a few hours. When I came out, I turned it on, only to notice that my home screen wallpaper had changed. Phone still seemed to work fine. Later on it started restarting over and over without ever getting past the startup screen (with the red eye on it). Eventually I had to do a factory reset, redownload my apps, etc.

Is it time to look for a new phone, or is this not really indicative of anything? I do not have a landline, so I like to have a phone that works.

That'd be a tough call if it was me. If you are on a contract I'd try to stick it out a little longer so you don't have to pay too much for a new phone, buying a phone outright is costly (a new one at least)

I would probably just keep using it, until it happened again. If it starts happening regularly it's time to go. (my opinion)

I am on a contract through November, although I don't really want to renew anyway. I think I can buy a prepaid phone and use it as a replacement without a problem (or, I could with T-Mobile; I don't know for sure with Verizon), and those are at least cheaper, although not as capable.

Another thing is that I'm driving to Colorado next month. I don't want to end up having the phone go bad while I'm on the road.

If you otherwise like the Incredible, I'd look for a replacement off Craigslist. Get an Incredible or the mostly similar Incredible 2. I had an HTC Incredible 2 for about a year and really enjoyed it. I sold it a few months ago on CL for $160...so they're out there and for reasonable prices for being full-featured smart phones (well, minus the 4G I guess).

Originally Posted By: jdeare
Thanks, good suggestion. I don't want to upgrade to 4G right now anyway.

Why not, it's awesome, I get 16Mbit download speeds on my Droid Razr on 4G LTE.

Primarily because I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan currently. If I change plans (or upgrade my phone through Verizon) I'll lose that.

Also I don't really download much using my phone. Mostly I use it for streaming music from Amazon cloud player while I'm at work, and 3G seems to be fine for that.

Ebay. I dropped my phone in the pool. It was cheaper to buy a lightly used replacement on ebay.
When my contract is up I will be switching the phone to Page plus. Still on the Verizon network but a lot cheaper. I am not a big data user.

I echo the used idea. You can get something newer without extending the contract. Even something 4G if you wanted.

There is Ebay, and there is also this site swappa.com. I've never used it, but I've checked pricing there from time to time. Heck if you wanted to drop the cash, you could get a Droid Incredible LTE for $375. Says it has never been opened.

Thanks guys. The Incredible has been working fine, so I'm just going to keep using it for now.

Thanks guys. The Incredible has been working fine, so I'm just going to keep using it for now.

I liked my Incredible too a lot. However it went into that reboot loop forever and my renewal was up so I headed to verizon and got an iPhone 4s. Apparently my last "free" upgrade with my unlimited data plan.

As of now, I'd get an HTC phone again. That may change though.

Are any Verizon phones global ready? I know they told a friend of mine his Blackberry would work out of the country, but it didn't.

HTC Trophy is Global Ready on Verizon, but it's a Windows phone, not Android.

As far as Android, only the Motorola Razr/Razr Maxx are Global Ready on Verizon.

Are any Verizon phones global ready?

They used to have a Motorola Droid 2 Global that was supposed to be a global phone. There are also a number of BlackBerrys that are global, but I think only certain ones are. The Apple iPhone is also a global phone. And those are just the smart phones. I'm sure they have a number of flip phones that are global as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back