Broke my phone

Several months ago I went for a ride on my motorcycle with my phone on top of my saddlebag and it ended badly. My phone fell off and was run over and the screen was crushed.
1698780077399.png

Amazingly, the guy at my local Batteries Plus store was able to replace the screen and it works fine.

Of course my wife could not let me out do her so last week she dropped her nearly new iPhone 14 from the top of a roller coaster.
1698780336586.png

1698780363585.png

The Batteries Plus guy ain't gonna fix this one and my wife wins again!

Wow, I don't I've ever seen such a destroyed phone ever. Did they not have some type of storage for you to put your stuff in before getting on the ride?

Wow, I don't I've ever seen such a destroyed phone ever. Did they not have some type of storage for you to put your stuff in before getting on the ride?
They do. I take it you've never met my wife.:D

The really amazing thing is that it seems to still be working. It rings and dings for calls & texts, the GPS tracker works and it charges. I joked to her that it's a prototype for the new foldable iphone.

They do. I take it you've never met my wife.:D

The really amazing thing is that it seems to still be working. It rings and dings for calls & texts, the GPS tracker works and it charges. I joked to her that it's a prototype for the new foldable iphone.
No you're joking, that can't be impossible... How has that motherboard not snapped in half?

My wife mulched up her new iPhone with the John Deere tractor. It fell out of the phone holder, under the mower deck and into the blades. It was a smoldering pile of debris, with all chunks about 1/2 inch in diameter. It was kind of nice that she purchased the protection plan. We sent the pile of debris back :)

I consider a phone necessary for calls, texts and voice mails. I use a desktop, laptop or tablet for web-bfrowsing, meetings and purchases.

I buy Android cellphones and never invested more than $100 for a new one, when changing carriers.
My last phone was an LG and lasted me 5-1/2 years. The current phone is a Motorola and it's 2-1/2 years old.
I've owned cellphones since 1993 and never damaged any of them.

Wow can’t say I’ve seen any that damaged. Glad to see your iPhone people though lol. I think it’s time for you to upgrade that iPhone 8 or whatever it is with a home button lol that’s old and unsupported at this point lol. I’ve never broken a phone in my life haha. My sister on the other hand has broken many. She shut one in a trunk once and it kinda looked like the top one. This is why I buy cases and screen protectors for my very expensive iPhones that I buy. I’ve dropped many never broken one though and it’s always in my pocket. The only time I’ve come close to breaking one is in the flip phone days when my phone was so worn out that the screen portion fell off from wear and tear. It was my first phone and I loved it so I didn’t want to get rid of it but had too then lol. Then I got upgraded to a slide phone which was sweet and I dropped it so many times it’s a wonder it survived.

Wow, that the folded one works at all is impressive!
Iphones are pretty tough though! My son revived iphone xr that had been lost for 2 years in a shallow lazy river where people float down... It was in a waterproof bag that had failed at some point and then the phone itself was full of water when he found it. We let it dry on the dash of the car for the rest of the week and then plugged it in at home to see what would happen. It came on after about 5 minutes and we used the emergency contact thing to contact the original owner who said my son could keep it since he salvaged it. He couldn't believe it was found and started working, and gave my son the password to unlock it.
The camera still has some fogginess to it, but the rest has been fine for 5 months now!

I didn't have an iPhone that messed up, but I had an iPad mini 2 that had its screen completely destroyed. It would still turn on and even back up, although nothing inside was damaged. This was before a passcode was needed to do a backup. I'd see the backlight turn kind of purple, but that was about it. But it wasn't terribly useful. I could get it to beep through Find My iPhone (before they changed it to Find My).

I could see that it might still kind of work. Teardowns of the iPhone 14 show it to be made of several small boards connected by ribbon cables.

I'm thinking Apple might even replace that. The only rule they have is that they won't do it if it's "completely destroyed". I'd say that would be something like taking a sledgehammer to one, but not if it was accidentally dropped from a balcony - or in this case a roller coaster. Even if it's bent and completely messed up, the pieces are still together.

I looked it up, and Apple would charge $549 in the United States, where this would clearly be considered "other damage". The price is the same regardless of the storage capacity, and only depends on the specific model. I'm not sure it would be worth it though given that Apple charges $729 for a brand new one that would come with a complete warranty. A replacement would only take the remainder of the original warranty or 90 days from receipt of the replacement, whichever is later.

Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 6.46.03 PM.jpg

we tend to place phones on the top of the car roof; well, we recovered my wife's phone on one occasion; however, mine fell off the roof on the interstate on another occasion, so it was not worth it to step on the interstate

I consider a phone necessary for calls, texts and voice mails. I use a desktop, laptop or tablet for web-bfrowsing, meetings and purchases.

I buy Android cellphones and never invested more than $100 for a new one, when changing carriers.

My last phone was an LG and lasted me 5-1/2 years. The current phone is a Motorola and it's 2-1/2 years old.
I've owned cellphones since 1993 and never damaged any of them.
I'm the same way. I hate talking on the things, and mine gets minimal use. I would never do financial transactions on a phone. I rarely take mine with me when I go anywhere, because I don't want to be bothered with the stupid thing.

If we leave town, my wife usually keeps hers in her purse. That way I don't have to be bothered. I have never "texted" anyone, and I never will. Why type when you can simply talk? It's why the invention of the telephone hurt Western Union so bad.

Now we're going backwards. Both our phones are Motorola Android models. We paid less than $100.00 each for them. As far as I'm concerned, that was about $85.00 too much.

Back