Tillamook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here like it? I CAN'T STOP eating their cheddar bricks since my local joint started carrying it. Goodbye kraft and black diamond canadian. Wish I could get their shredded stuff for tacos.

Originally Posted By: turbodieselfreak
Anyone here like it? I CAN'T STOP eating their cheddar bricks since my local joint started carrying it. Goodbye kraft and black diamond canadian. Wish I could get their shredded stuff for tacos.

Been a cheese staple out west for a generation. Good cheese for sure.
If you want to try some truly OUTSTANDING cheese......try what is called Cougar Cheese from here....http://public.wsu.edu/creamery/ It comes in a large can. Has the most flavor and wonderful texture of any cheese I've ever had in my life.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty good cheese.

I'm surprised it's reach has extended to IN.

Are you just eating the sharp cheddar (red label) or the Vintage White (black label, aged for over 2 years)?

I stopped by their factory in Tillamook, OR this past summer and picked up some 3 year + aged cheddar (I think you can only buy it there at their factory) and man... it was good... it even had a slight burn when you bit into it.

Good stuff.

Went to the factory last week and fell in love with the garlic chili pepper cheddar. I'm an addict now, and need therapy.

You guys are killing me!! Recently moved from Oregon to western NY. Ten pounds of Tillamook cheese was in our luggage when we left. We have not found an adequate replacement for Tillamook cheddar.

I second the Cougar Gold recommendation. I used to get it all of the time when the kids were in school there at WSU.

Interesting.

My local Walmart, Target, Albertsons, Kroger and Tom Thumb carry them and I never gave them a try.

Maybe I should.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Yeah, it's pretty good cheese.

I'm surprised it's reach has extended to IN.

Are you just eating the sharp cheddar (red label) or the Vintage White (black label, aged for over 2 years)?

I stopped by their factory in Tillamook, OR this past summer and picked up some 3 year + aged cheddar (I think you can only buy it there at their factory) and man... it was good... it even had a slight burn when you bit into it.

Good stuff.
I've had both but find the black label a bit dry, so sharp it is for me. The supermarket out here has most varieties and this stuff replaces the black diamond I was spoiling myself with. The tillamook medium is just too soft and bland for me. I'm paying 5.99 a brick BTW but totally worth it considering 2.99 for the big name brand, and I only shop once a month anyways. Since we don't get the shreds out here, I settle for dutch farms or sargento "off the block" for tacos.

I live in the epicenter of cheesemaking. Never heard of Tillamook other than beef jerky. A 20 minute drive in any direction will land me at one or more cheese houses. I guess I've gotten a bit jaded by it. Same way with Harley-Davidson (an hour away), Miller beer (same distance), and when it comes to airplanes, I've had my fill. Oshkosh, WI is the home of the Experimental Aircraft Association, and has their annual fly-in and convention in my town. Add about 70k people to the population plus all the aircraft (we have the busiest airport in the world for 10 days a year), it just becomes old hat. I've seen the Concorde, Stealth bomber, the last flightworthy B-29, met Chuck Yeager, Carroll Shelby, Jack Roush, John Travolta, and many other celebrities. Yawn.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
I live in the epicenter of cheesemaking. Never heard of Tillamook other than beef jerky. A 20 minute drive in any direction will land me at one or more cheese houses. I guess I've gotten a bit jaded by it. Same way with Harley-Davidson (an hour away), Miller beer (same distance), and when it comes to airplanes, I've had my fill. Oshkosh, WI is the home of the Experimental Aircraft Association, and has their annual fly-in and convention in my town. Add about 70k people to the population plus all the aircraft (we have the busiest airport in the world for 10 days a year), it just becomes old hat. I've seen the Concorde, Stealth bomber, the last flightworthy B-29, met Chuck Yeager, Carroll Shelby, Jack Roush, John Travolta, and many other celebrities. Yawn.
smile.gif

Oshkosh must be boring. Boring cheese, boring beer, boring airshows...putting you to sleep.
crackmeup2.gif

MMM cheese. Went to the Tillamook factory a few years ago, it was interesting. I carried a block of cheese across the west coast and, back to hawaii... only to find out I could have bought it at cost co.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

Oshkosh must be boring. Boring cheese, boring beer, boring airshows...putting you to sleep.
crackmeup2.gif

Like I said, I've been jaded by having it around me most of my life. To an outsider, there's probably tons of stuff to do if visiting, but for me, it's all "been there, done that". There's only so much you can see before you start seeing it again.
On the plus side, things are fairly cheap here... You can go to any of the nearly 100 bars in a city of People around here are very genuine, and unpretentious. Compared to other places in the country, especially outside of the midwest, people are much more fake, putting on their best pseudo-friendliness for you, while telling their friends what they really think.
Comedian Lewis Black discusses drinking in WI, and pretty much nails it in this video (Not Work Safe!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlwumGkSec

Last edited:
Best cheese I've ever had is called Cougar Gold. They have a website if you do a search. Made by the Washington State University creamery on campus. Extremely tasty. They have many varieties but the Cougar Gold is by far the best.

Sargento is one of the more popular ones here (and nationwide). My favorite is Crystal Farms. Surprisingly, it's not considered "premium", and is quite cheap by comparison. The local creameries also have outlet stores and have lots of interesting varieties. I'm sure if you Googled "Wisconsin cheese factories" you'd have quite the list.

Speaking of extra sharp cheddar... As I write this, I'm having a snack of Old Fashioned Cheese (Mayville, WI) extra sharp spread with some pretzel sticks. Most people like it with Ritz crackers, but I stumbled upon pretzels and never looked back.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back