Tofu: do you make it, and like it?

I stopped by a local market this morning and got some homemade tofu. Kinda firm, but tasty. I just had some Chinese style vegetables steamed and some fresh tomatoes. It’s definitely not for everyone but I’m liking it. Anyone here make their own? Do you like or dislike it?

We purchase and use a small amount of tofu in salads and other dishes.

A Taiwan grad student I worked with a few years ago introduced me to Stinky Tofu. https://www.taiwanese-secrets.com/taiwan-stinky-tofu/ Whew! I can eat almost anything, but that stuff reminded me of cow manure. It's often described as rotting garbage or dirty wet socks!. I tried it, once (never again).

Tofu is good in soups, hot and sour soup with mushrooms. It is another form of beans, how can it be bad? :cool:
I enjoy it cooked with some sweet peppers, onions and even banana peppers cooked in bacon fat. Mom said she makes salmon Pattie’s and cooks some with that and enjoys it

When I lived in northern California back in the mid ‘90s, there was this Chinese takeout place that had Chicken Tofu Balls. That’s what they called it??? It was little deep fried tofu balls with fried chicken in a brown sauce. I LOVED that stuff! I haven’t found anything like it since.

Is making something at home and selling it in a market paradoxical?
Only if it’s marketed/sold as “homemade“ in a retail setting. Sara Lee selling they’re labeled “homemade“ apple pies by the thousands at Kroger is a paradox. Sara Lee selling their apple pies at Kroger derived from a “homemade recipe“ …not paradoxical.

I love inari sushi. It is made with inari age (fried tofu pouches) stuffed with sushi rice. Cubed tofu in miso, fried tofu slices, tofu pasta, etc. Plain tofu tastes bland but it will take on the flavor of marinades and that of other foods. If you are unfamiliar with tofu just order some tofu dishes at Asian restaurants and find out what you like. Then start experimenting yourself. You can make tofu at home if you got nothing better to do. Make sure to use non-GMO soybeans. The methionine in non-organic soybeans causes frequently allergic reactions.

Only if it’s marketed/sold as “homemade“ in a retail setting. Sara Lee selling they’re labeled “homemade“ apple pies by the thousands at Kroger is a paradox. Sara Lee selling their apple pies at Kroger derived from a “homemade recipe“ …not paradoxical.
Right but this post is about a local guy purchasing from a local vendor that made something at home.

Nobody brought up industrial food production. Except you. And it is completely not applicable to the situation being discussed.

I'm done here, have a great weekend!!!

Right but this post is about a local guy purchasing from a local vendor that made something at home.
Nowhere in the op is it stated that the retailer made the tofu at home, only that it was homemade, hence the paradox!
OT: this, my friend, is the definition of a paradox.
Nobody brought up industrial food production. Except you. And it is completely not applicable to the situation being discussed.
Of course the very definition of home made implies that the tofu was indeed physically made at home and not in an industrial facility. The vendor was using the homemade description as an attribute to sell a product.

Nowhere in the op is it stated that the retailer made the tofu at home, only that it was homemade, hence the paradox!

Of course the very definition of home made implies that the tofu was indeed physically made at home and not in an industrial facility. The vendor was using the homemade description as an attribute to sell a product.
That is the way I also interpreted it.

Homemade can but does not have to mean 'made by yourself or in your own home.' Homemade means 'not made in a factory or factory-like facility.' For example, you drive past a farmstand that advertises homemade pies, jellies, honey, cheese, etc. It's homemade, just not in your home.

Last edited:
I try to limit my intake of soy based products but sometimes eat vegan chorizo made with tofu.

Back