Tie rod and castle nuts

Do Honda's not use castle nuts? I went to mess around with the struts today on our '03 CRV and the left side, which I don't seem to have a record of being replaced, has but a regular nut on it. Maybe this was replaced at some point?

tierod.jpg

Other side has a recent replacement, and that has a castle nut. But the cotter barely is there, like the nut is on too tight, so I'm thinking neither is of concern.

That is not Honda OEM and probably not the nut that came with the aftermarket tie-rod end. I have replaced both tie-rod ends on the wife's 2003 Element (which is mechanically identical to the CR-V) and castle nuts were on the old and new parts.

A lot of the new aftermarket ones I’ve seen come with nylock nuts instead of castle nuts. This is probably what that is. Probably depends on brand as to whether or not it has a castle nut or regular one.

What's that silver thing hanging beneath the nut? I can't figure it out.

And yes some aftermarket parts come with nylon locknuts as mentioned. However, I do not use them but instead get the proper nuts from Honda.

Oh right I see now. That's something lol.
Yeah I wasn't impressed--usually I expect a castle nut, and the cotter is "caught" in there. Not sure that this is any different, other than the nut could back off quite a bit more--but then it should be well stopped.

I should have taken a pic on the other side, that has a castle but the "wings" are just even with the cotter... so not much better.

Yeah I wasn't impressed--usually I expect a castle nut, and the cotter is "caught" in there. Not sure that this is any different, other than the nut could back off quite a bit more--but then it should be well stopped.

I should have taken a pic on the other side, that has a castle but the "wings" are just even with the cotter... so not much better.
Yeah but a castellated nut is prevented from turning at all by the pin, here it might be able to back off a full turn. That could allow the taper to come loose and move around. That's a kludge installation which I try to avoid on critical steering parts.

As AM said I've been seeing nylocks on some aftermarket. I also use thread lock in those instances. I'm sure someone has a reason this is a bad idea. Ok.

Yeah but a castellated nut is prevented from turning at all by the pin, here it might be able to back off a full turn. That could allow the taper to come loose and move around. That's a kludge installation which I try to avoid on critical steering parts.
So you’re saying, I shouldn’t have put anit-sieze on those threads, and counted on Mother Nature to keep that nut in place, once winter hits?

So you’re saying, I shouldn’t have put anit-sieze on those threads, and counted on Mother Nature to keep that nut in place, once winter hits?
I’m not sure your point here but nevertheless the installation as it exists is not proper, it’s neither a new nylon lock nut nor a castellated nut with a proper cotter pin installation. Perhaps I just get weirded out a little when I’m dealing with steering components, I’ll give you that.

Interesting. I have an 02 accord and on my drivers side tie rod i had a nut just like that. Not a nyloc and not a castle nut. Just the nut with the cotter pin well below it.

Most new cars come with Nylocks instead of castle nuts & a split pin now.

When I did the clutch on my Wife's car a few weeks ago I burned out the nylon insert on a lot of the nuts to make removal easier and fitted a new nylock nut afterwards.

many use the fire wrench now. Have gone to nyloks after~
Not me, old school.
I think, in the pic, fella found that nut in his stash and threw it on. Shame.
If mickey mousin even some washers to bridge btwn nut'n pin would have been
it (no, he's afraid some would C his SNAFU easier?). Many problems avoided w/ 1st
visit here - not driver/owner's or neighbor/uncle/friend's.

I would have at least installed the cotter pin similar to this. It's a bit of a stretch, but at least bend the leg (or both) against the nut flat (sans the castle nut).

1658855809914.jpg

Back